Juan Manuel Ortiz In Signing Talks

So does anyone know anything about him? Is he any good ?

If I remember him correctly, he's a very versatile player who can play in both winger and full back sides.

He's got a bit of skill, not exactly rapid, but he can go past a player quite easily and his crossing is pretty good.

He's a worker as well, which suits us down to the ground (tu)

If I remember him correctly, he's a very versatile player who can play in both winger and full back sides.

He's got a bit of skill, not exactly rapid, but he can go past a player quite easily and his crossing is pretty good.

He's a worker as well, which suits us down to the ground (tu)

You just took that straight out the STV article. :D

Then made the rest up. :BELM:

If he comes to Rangers and does a good job he may be Juanma favourite players yeah I went there with that poor attempt at a joke.

:lol: :lol:

You just took that straight out the STV article. :D

Then made the rest up. :BELM:

Actually, I bought him in FM.

:pipe:

Seriously, I wouldn't want him near full back for any length of time actually, but he'll do if Papac/Whittaker are out for a game or two.

Hopefully he has a good cross on him (tu)

Exactly the type of player we are looking for. Can play both flanks and can cover at FB if needed.

Really liked how this transfer has been handled behind closed doors. Hopefully there is more in the pipeline which we have no idea about (tu)

Who knows what this will be like, his team finished bottom of la liga, he's 29 and doesn't score many goals for someone who mainly plays as a right midfielder (according to wiki).

I'm happy with it if the fee's 1 million or less. Certainly someone thats played regularly in la liga should have something to offer. Then again hibs signed that Edwin de Graaf who had played in the eredivisie and he was mince so who knows.

All that said i'd rather we gambled on a player thats played in la liga than paid 2 million for goodwillie

Spanish midfielder Juan Manuel Ortiz in Rangers signing talks

Exclusive: The Almeria utility man is at Murray Park having arrived from Spain on Monday afternoon.

04 July 2011 17:59 GMT

Comment

Ally McCoist is close to making his first signing as Rangers manager, with Juan Manuel Ortiz in signing talks. Pic: ©SNS Group

Spanish midfielder Juan Manuel Ortiz is at Murray Park holding talks with Rangers, STV can reveal.

The 29-year-old, who is currently contracted to Spanish second tier side UD Almeria, predominently plays on the right of midfield. The versatile player has also featured for his club on the left flank and in both full-back positions.

An agreement is already in place between the two clubs for the transfer of the player, with Almeria subsequently giving Ortiz permission to travel to Glasgow.

Speaking to STV, Almeria's sporting director Alberto Benito confirmed his player was in talks with Rangers. "I can confirm we have had talks with Glasgow Rangers have reached an agremeent over a fee for Juanma," he said. "He has been with Almeria for four years and he is a very important player.

"He can play in several positions. He can play on the left or right hand side of attack, but also defensive left and right. He is also very quick."

When asked if he was happy for his player to leave the club, Benito replied: "No we are not happy. But for him, who is a very good person and player, this is a good move.

"It is important for him to play at a big club like Glasgow Rangers, who have the chance to play in Champions League.

"For me it is a big problem because I now have to find three players to replace him."

Ortiz, also known as Juanma, started his career with Atletico Madrid, making five appearances for the club while also spending spells out on loan with Osasun and Poli Eijdo.

A move to Almeria followed in 2007 and he has gone on to play 126 times, scoring nine goals.

Almeria were relegated from La Liga at the end of the 2010/11 season, finishing in 20th position. Ortiz was subsequently told the club would not stand in his way if an offer came in, along with a host of other first team players at the club.

You mean like Kenny Miller? :lol::rolleyes:

Dont think so. :)

No I meant like original Ronaldo, Simao, Quaresma, Rommedahl, McCann, Denilson, Kewell or a host of other attackers whose pace either left them or gradually ebbed away once they hit around 30.

looks like he'll mainly be used as cover and as long as the fee is in 6 figures then well done management team (tu)

he provides cover for all the positions we need, LM, RM, LB, RB. Also it's good to see that we are looking at targets behind the scenes and if the fee has already been agreed this must have started a good 5 days +.

Also he's spanish so he must be good :clap:

:craphead:

looks like he'll mainly be used as cover and as long as the fee is in 6 figures then well done management team (tu)

he provides cover for all the positions we need, LM, RM, LB, RB. Also it's good to see that we are looking at targets behind the scenes and if the fee has already been agreed this must have started a good 5 days +.

Aye 'cos our previous spanish players have been good.

very happy with that aswell