Rangers to establish link with LA Galaxy?

FlippinEck

Rangers want Galaxy player link

Rangers manager Walter Smith hopes to set up a player exchange programme with David Beckham's future employers, Major League Soccer outfit LA Galaxy.

The Glasgow side will face Galaxy in a friendly in the USA on 23 May.

And Smith told the Scottish Daily Express: "We will be holding talks with a view to setting up an exchange scheme that can help develop players.

"With Beckham already signed, they will attract the cream of American kids who want to play alongside a superstar."

Former England midfielder Beckham will join the Californian outfit in a five-year deal worth a reported £128m once he leaves Real Madrid in the summer.

"When I was Scotland manager, I spoke to then USA coach Bruce Arena at Hampden and he felt the best-ever crop of American players was just about to break through," said Smith.

"A club like Rangers can't afford to ignore such a vast pool of talent and I can't think of a better club over there to have close ties with than LA Galaxy.

"We would be prepared to have their players and coaches at Murray Park for a few months at a time and vice versa.

"I don't foresee any problems and it's something I'm very keen on.

"There are no regulatory issues with younger players coming over and, while you need a work permit for those you want to sign at professional level, you oten find American lads have European links and even have passports for EC countries."

LA Galaxy general manager Alexi Lalas feels exchange schemes can help his club grow.

"If there was a chance for players to move between Glasgow and the US, for example, it could be beneficial for both clubs," said the former USA defender

"Establishing connections is important for us and Rangers come into that.

"For us, it is a chance to tap into their history and expertise."

THIS WOULD BE GREAT, think of the money and advertising over the pond if this happens and even the chance of good american talent! this can only be better for our club and is the way FORWARD! What do you think?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with this future link unless they think they can start calling our sport, the world's favourite Sport. 'Soccer'. That name gives me the shudders every time I hear that, wrote on article on Fundamental Soccer.com about it, done research on the history of the game, ...so other than that...hope it works out.

So, give me a wee American like like Da Marcus Beasley and tell him we call it Football here, and I'll be dancin! partay

I have no problem with this future link unless they think they can start calling our sport, the world's favourite Sport. 'Soccer'. That name gives me the shudders every time I hear that, wrote on article on Fundamental Soccer.com about it, done research on the history of the game, ...so other than that...hope it works out.

So, give me a wee American like like Da Marcus Beasley and tell him we call it Football here, and I'll be dancin! partay

From this point of view I quite like this

For us, it is a chance to tap into their history and expertise.

It would be great if we got someone like Landon Donavon, we can but dream eh!

Is Donavon not one of the most over-rated players ever?

You always hear his name getting banded about, but he got sent back to the US with his tail between his legs after failing in Germany.

It would be great if we got someone like Landon Donavon, we can but dream eh!

Is Donavon not one of the most over-rated players ever?

You always hear his name getting banded about, but he got sent back to the US with his tail between his legs after failing in Germany.

He came over at around 19 and never got that much of a chance. He seems to perform very well on the International scene. If we could get him for reasonably cheap I would take him in a second.

LA Galaxy have done shedloads this season alone to improve there status, i like the idea of us being linked with them.

Will deffo give us an advantage over all teams in the SPL.

Now what we need to do is get in sweet with a german team, as their youth efforts are superior to anything else in Europe from what i've seen.

its good news, but why it needed walter at the club to sort it out is stupid, what the fuck does bain do!

Allegedly get involved in dodgy property deals in France. Wasn't that what he was being investigated for a couple years ago?

Guest therabbitt

I know I am basing this on Football Manager, but sometimes can be reliable, aren't Chelsea already linked to them as a feeder club?

I think it is fantastic, would raise the profile of the Rangers brand name, any extra income would be needed, although it would really only benefit JJB's profit margins!!!

The standard of American football has raised significantly in recent times and i would happily take a number of their players.

I watched the Milk Cup in the summer and the USA under 19 side was over, they had some very very promising looking players. They had this wee fella called Dax McCartney (sp?) and Id swear he was Stuart McCall reborn.....

I know I am basing this on Football Manager, but sometimes can be reliable, aren't Chelsea already linked to them as a feeder club?

I think it is fantastic, would raise the profile of the Rangers brand name, any extra income would be needed, although it would really only benefit JJB's profit margins!!!

The standard of American football has raised significantly in recent times and i would happily take a number of their players.

I watched the Milk Cup in the summer and the USA under 19 side was over, they had some very very promising looking players. They had this wee fella called Dax McCartney (sp?) and Id swear he was Stuart McCall reborn.....

The feeder clubs on FM are very inaccurate. They also change with every fluffing update from SI.

Did he have a ginger mullet? If so, get him signed up!

Guest therabbitt

Did he have a ginger mullet? If so, get him signed up!

He's very ginger, very mulletted and very very good

The link is ghreat news for us. The potential stars we can tap into over there is massive and they are clearly a well-backed set-up if they can afford to pay Beckham the salary he is going to be on when he joins them.

Although footy is still nowhere near being the number 1 sport over in the US, there are sure to be some great players come through and by having a link up with them, we can get first dibs on any of that new talent.

Having this sort of link is only good news for Rangers, it wouldn't surprise me if football became the number 1 sport over there (real football not the poncy run around for a few yards at a time wearing padding everywhere type football), the publicity, tours etc will only benefit Rangers financially, also having access to some of the talent would be beneficial as I don't think they would cost too much to buy.

On another note, having this sort of link with this particular club might get some American Tycoon interested in buying Rangers. :Animation44:

Unf Player Pos Birthdate MLS Status MLS Exp.

5 Chris Albright M-D 1979-01-14 8

1 Joe Cannon GK 1975-01-01 8

0 Steve Cronin GK 1983-05-28 DEV 2

10 Landon Donovan F 1982-03-04 6

20 Robbie Findley F 1985-08-04 0

35 Lance Friesz GK 1983-09-16 DEV 0

9 Gavin Glinton F 1979-03-01 3

21 Alan Gordon F 1981-10-16 3

3 Ty Harden D 1984-03-06 DEV 0

6 Kevin Harmse M 1984-07-04 SYI 0

11 Nate Jaqua F 1981-10-28 4

4 Ante Jazic D 1976-02-26 S-I 1

13 Cobi Jones M 1970-06-16 11

15 Quavas Kirk M 1988-04-13 DEV 1

14 Tyrone Marshall D 1974-11-12 9

18 Kyle Martino M 1981-02-19 5

25 Santino Quaranta M 1984-10-14 6

2 Mike Randolph D 1985-12-03 DEV 0

12 Troy Roberts D 1983-09-18 2

7 Ian Russell D 1975-08-30 6

24 Nathan Sturgis M 1987-07-06 DEV 1

26 Shavar Thomas D 1981-01-29 S-I 4

19 Josh Tudela M 1984-03-13 0

8 Peter Vagenas M 1978-02-06 7

16 Kyle Veris D 1983-03-15 DEV 1

This is LA Galaxy's squad list, looks like plenty of young players there.