Rangers to establish link with LA Galaxy?

FlippinEck

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea and its good PR by the club which would get the clubs name out and around America and which could also lead to an annual friendly against the Galaxy which in its own will bring alot of revenue in. It would and could also lead to doing pre-season tours of America like Man Utd, Chelsea, Celtic, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc etc have all done and earned alot of money from them

hope this happens, would really boost our profile in america and could be quite a lucrative arrangement in terms of getting american players on the cheap, potential of more lucrative friendlies and increased merchandise sales from americans who probably know very little about rangers at the moment. On the topic of links with other clubs what ever happened to the one with that chinese club? Nothing seemed to come of it unfortunatly.

hope this happens, would really boost our profile in america and could be quite a lucrative arrangement in terms of getting american players on the cheap, potential of more lucrative friendlies and increased merchandise sales from americans who probably know very little about rangers at the moment. On the topic of links with other clubs what ever happened to the one with that chinese club? Nothing seemed to come of it unfortunatly.

But lots of folk liked the Strip :Animation44: :lol:

Guest therabbitt

We cancelled our links with the Chinese a couple of years ago did we not?

We wont receive hee haw from merchandise, remeber the minter gave those privelages to JJB....

We wont receive hee haw from merchandise, remeber the minter gave those privelages to JJB....

Yes but isnt the deal for £3m a year initially with bonuses on top based on the levels of merchandise sold??? Therefore increased sales from the USA could get us more money from JBB on top of the £3m????

Yeah, they have since changed their name and club colours. Previously the were Green, Orange and Grey when we were linked to them, now they play in Red, White and Blue doh

Yes but isnt the deal for £3m a year initially with bonuses on top based on the levels of merchandise sold??? Therefore increased sales from the USA could get us more money from JBB on top of the £3m????

That's what I was thinking.

i dont know how long their off season is but i think its like 4 months,the season starts in april and ends in november, so if you give him time to - rest, then train again we could get a loan from january - march?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/6566965.stm

Rangers and LA galaxy could set up a player link, with both Managers and chairmen interested in a deal, walter believs that with Beckham going there that the most quality youngsters will be tempted over there and then possibly to us...

Rangers want Galaxy player link

Rangers manager Walter Smith hopes to set up a player exchange programme with David Beckham's future employers, Major League Soccer outfit LA Galaxy.

The Glasgow side will face Galaxy in a friendly in the USA on 23 May.

And Smith told the Scottish Daily Express: "We will be holding talks with a view to setting up an exchange scheme that can help develop players.

"With Beckham already signed, they will attract the cream of American kids who want to play alongside a superstar."

Former England midfielder Beckham will join the Californian outfit in a five-year deal worth a reported �128m once he leaves Real Madrid in the summer.

"When I was Scotland manager, I spoke to then USA coach Bruce Arena at Hampden and he felt the best-ever crop of American players was just about to break through," said Smith.

"A club like Rangers can't afford to ignore such a vast pool of talent and I can't think of a better club over there to have close ties with than LA Galaxy.

"We would be prepared to have their players and coaches at Murray Park for a few months at a time and vice versa.

"I don't foresee any problems and it's something I'm very keen on.

"There are no regulatory issues with younger players coming over and, while you need a work permit for those you want to sign at professional level, you oten find American lads have European links and even have passports for EC countries."

LA Galaxy general manager Alexi Lalas feels exchange schemes can help his club grow.

"If there was a chance for players to move between Glasgow and the US, for example, it could be beneficial for both clubs," said the former USA defender

"Establishing connections is important for us and Rangers come into that.

"For us, it is a chance to tap into their history and expertise."

THIS WOULD BE GREAT, think of the money and advertising over the pond if this happens and even the chance of good american talent! this can only be better for our club and is the way FORWARD! What do you think?

finally we are doing something like this...There are a lot of good players in the States

Guest therabbitt

I think it is possible to think of American talent to fit any of our needed positions...

Plus as Watty said, the players have a tendency to have some kind of European ties to get passports be it legit or dodgy

With it being a player exchange, maybe some of our younger ones can go over and play for an affiliated Uni team and get an education while they are there.

I'm not trying to say that our players are stupid, or anything like it, I just think this would be very beneficial for them in terms of when and if they hit the big time, if say they did a media course, they would atleast know how to handle the media more so than current players do.

Guest therabbitt

The MLS sides dont have affiliated uni's as such, when players leave uni they are subject to the draft whereby the bottom sides in the league get first pick on the season's players, it is an interesting system.

I knew about the draft system, USA sports all generally utilise them, I was thinkin more along the lines of once our foot is in the door of the USA football market, we could affiliate ourselves with a Uni while we are at it, maybe I didn't type it like that but its more like what I meant. Its been a long day.

Granted we could probably do this here but the Football in America at Uni level is a lot more "advanced" than we are, its a lot more like a professional sport over there where as here its like a sunday league type thing.