Rangers to play Ajax in Pre Season friendly:

Boab

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1012673,00.html

by Lindsay Herron

DUTCH giants Ajax are coming to Ibrox on Tuesday, July 24 for a glamour pre-season clash.

The match with the Amsterdam side, bossed by Henk Ten Cate, will be a fantastic tune-up for Walter Smith's side and comes just four days before the visit of Chelsea.Klaas Jan Huntelaar and Jaap Stam celebrate

Currently third in the Dutch Eredivisie table, just two points off leaders PSV Eindhoven, Ajax boast an impressive squad with top drawer young talent like Klaas Jan Huntelaar, Ryan Babel and Wesley Sneijder complimenting the older guard of Jaap Stam and Edgar Davids.

In January they also snapped up exciting Brazilian strilker Leonardo, who is likely to face Rangers in July

Chief Executive Martin Bain commented: "I am pleased to confirm the Club has secured another exciting friendly match at Ibrox.

"Ajax are one of Europe's finest clubs and this will be a good test for Walter's squad ahead of the new campaign. Our supporters will have the opportunity to watch two of Europe's top teams here in Glasgow and both games will certainly provide excellent preparation for the season ahead."

Ronald de Boer battles with Richard Gough back in 1996Rangers last faced the Amsterdam side in the Champions League group phase of 1996/97 when they boasted a fantastic side that included Ronald and Frank de Boer as well as Patrick Kluivert, Marc Overmars and Edwin van der Sar.

The Light Blues lost 4-1 in Holland and were defeated 1-0 at Ibrox by the side who had contested the previous two finals.

In a ground-breaking move, Rangers played Ajax in the first ever Super Cup back in 1972/73, although the trophy was not officially recognised by UEFA until the following season.

Willie Waddell instigated the move for the European Cup Winners' Cup winners to take on the European Cup winners in a two-leg tie and legends like Johan Cruyff, Johan Neeskens, Johnny Rep, Ruud Krol and Aarie Haan wer the star men for Ajax, who dominated European football in the early 1970s.

Rangers lost 3-1 at Ibrox and 3-2 in Holland.

WE WILL HAVE TICKET INFORMATION IN DUE COURSE.

FACT FILE

European Cup/Champions League - 1971, 1972, 1973, 1995

European Cup Winners Cup - 1987

UEFA Cup - 1992

Dutch champions - 29 times

Dutch Cup winners - 16 times

Link - click HERE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Friendlies are pesh and meaningless...

Murray doesnt deserve a crowd for any of them

The crowd aren't there for Murray. They are there for the club, the team and the enjoyment of watching a game of football ffs!

Playing clubs like LA Galaxy and now Ajax, can only benefit in the club in terms of TV Revenue and profile.

That should be another good friendly for us to play and hopefully it will be a competitive game aswell as the Chelsea game so we get our moneys worth

The crowd aren't there for Murray. They are there for the club, the team and the enjoyment of watching a game of football ffs!

Playing clubs like LA Galaxy and now Ajax, can only benefit in the club in terms of TV Revenue and profile.

LA Galaxy aye Ive always wanted to see them get yerself tae....

If we invested serious dosh we would be playing the likes of Ajax more often instead of peshy freindlies...

Hurry up or ye will lose yer place in the sand pit :pipeguy:

If we invested serious dosh we would be playing the likes of Ajax more often instead of peshy freindlies...

LA Galaxy may not be the world football superpower, but with it Beckham moving there you can be assured that there will be a HUGE media presence and that the match will be worth millions to us.

EDIT: Also, if you are so determined to invest serious dosh, what better way to generate said dosh other than playing lucrative friendly matches.

Okay Fish so you don't want to give credit ever, do you?

Okay Fish so you don't want to give credit ever, do you?

YOU DECIDE :pipeguy:

how many of the games are competitive,they make you think oh we will have a great season and what do we end up with,the usual rubbish and i got wide to the pre season games many years ago.

I think is more to do with the profile of the club minstral rather than the actual game itself. This is an opportunity to improve our image playing high profile matches we should grab it with both hands.

how many of the games are competitive,they make you think oh we will have a great season and what do we end up with,the usual rubbish and i got wide to the pre season games many years ago.

I think is more to do with the profile of the club minstral rather than the actual game itself. This is an opportunity to improve our image playing high profile matches we should grab it with both hands.

Lets Not forget the money that comes from playing in these high-profile friendly's

:lol::lol::lol:When will youz ever learn eh

Its better than Borussia Munchengladbach...that was rank, even the Linesman agreed with me (cause I spoke with him days later) - Middlesbrough wasn't much better but these, as said, will bring kudos to the Club and are high quality opposition.

your right dummiesoot and i agree with you,but the original post i thought meant they will be competitive games.

If both of them play to thier full potential we will have to bust a gut to compete with them and thats before the season has started

Murray....give me yer money am off shortly :lol: