Priorities?

loch71

Is anyone else worried about the balance of our recent "transfer/spending" policy? By all accounts we were willing to spend nearly £4 million on securing the services of central defender Roland Juhasz. This is after Kyle Barltey signing on for another year and Dorin Goian signing from Palermo. We also have Davie Weir to return and Papac, McCulloch and Broadfoot (gulp...) that can fit in there when we are desperate...

Am I the only one that thinks we need more in midfield and up front rather than have a glut of CB's? I would rather we went all the way and signed Goodwillie and Verhoek. Having seen Verhoek play in Holland I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this guy would run riot in the SPL and would have been a good investment at £2/2.5 million. He's a bit like Kris Commons (scores goals, tricky and fast) but better and of course being Dutch which would give him more clout when off-loading him in 2/3 seasons. The combination of Naismith, Jelavic, Verhoek, Goodwillie, Davis with Alejandro Bedoya joining them in Jan would have given us an immediate advantage in the race for our 4th title on the trot.

There's absolutely no need for us to spend almost £4M on a centre back. The fact that he's 28 also makes this potential transfer more confusing. Would be farcical if we weren't prepared to pay £2.5M for Verhoek or £2M for Goodwillie but were prepared to pay nearly £4M for Juhasz.

Fair comments Ibrox Preacher but we play in the SPL. I still reckon we could get through the season with Weir, Papac, Goian, Bartley and another cheaper option than Juhasz at CB. I'd rather we concentrated on attacking more and really think if we had secured Goodwillie and Verhoek the league would have been in our hands. Look at the tail end of last season. We went all out attack and wiped the floor with most teams.

I just think it's crazy to spend the bulk of our small budget on one CB

You're assuming that Ally is going to play with a back four - perhaps he plans on a 3-5-2 with whittaker and wallace as wing backs instead?

But let's assume you're right about a back four - Cuellar, the Belgium boy first team with a back up of Goian. that's a first tteam with some cover and fact is 2 haven't signed.

I get what you're saying about priorities but unless people want to see Broadfoot and others play at CB we're going to have to sign guys which are better. Bartley could play in there but he's no long term solution - infact I would hope JUST NOW that he plays as a defensive mid.

My priorities - 2 CB's.

A right back, whittaker is a weak link in defence and has been seen that way since he joiner, the boy is good going forward and can run but he isn't good enough defensively.

a box to box midfielder who'd snap Scott brown in half.

a left winger.

A partner or Plan B to Jelavic.

Did you see our defending last season? We were extremely suspect at times and all good sides have been built from the back (unless you're Barca).

I'd be delighted if we signed Juhasz (and sold Broadfoot). We'd then have Whittaker/Bartley who could play right back, Juhasz/Bartley/Goian/Weir for centre half and Papac/Wallace for right back.

We then need a left winger and a striker (assuming Bedoya and McKay come in to freshen up MF).

Even with £3.5m on Juhasz we'll only have spent about £2.5m NET so should have plenty of room for another couple of signings or perhaps Ally has some good loans lined up from the EPL once squads are announced.

I agree our defending was chaotic last year but in my simplistic and humble opinion, if we go out and try and win games from the off we won't have to defend as much as we did last year. There were too many games were we "invited" the opposition to come at us so we could catch them on the break. It wasn't until the run in that we went for teams and low and behold we only conceded 2 goals in our last 10 games. It's not rocket science. If we are attacking teams, they will have less opportunity to score against us. Simples

Did you see our defending last season? We were extremely suspect at times and all good sides have been built from the back (unless you're Barca).

I'd be delighted if we signed Juhasz (and sold Broadfoot). We'd then have Whittaker/Bartley who could play right back, Juhasz/Bartley/Goian/Weir for centre half and Papac/Wallace for right back.

We then need a left winger and a striker (assuming Bedoya and McKay come in to freshen up MF).

Even with £3.5m on Juhasz we'll only have spent about £2.5m NET so should have plenty of room for another couple of signings or perhaps Ally has some good loans lined up from the EPL once squads are announced.

Having seen Verhoek play in Holland I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this guy would run riot in the SPL and would have been a good investment at £2/2.5 million. He's a bit like Kris Commons (scores goals, tricky and fast) but better and of course being Dutch which would give him more clout when off-loading him in 2/3 seasons. The combination of Naismith, Jelavic, Verhoek, Goodwillie, Davis with Alejandro Bedoya joining them in Jan would have given us an immediate advantage in the race for our 4th title on the trot.

Verhoek was the one signing I feel could light up the SPL. Has all the ability to become a top player and with good resale value if he did decide to move on.

There's absolutely no need for us to spend almost £4M on a centre back. The fact that he's 28 also makes this potential transfer more confusing. Would be farcical if we weren't prepared to pay £2.5M for Verhoek or £2M for Goodwillie but were prepared to pay nearly £4M for Juhasz.

Rangers just cant fucking win on this board

we don't put in big bids for players and we have a biscut tin mentality.

we push the boat out for a classy defender and we are spending too much money.

FFS people what do you actually want.

fwiw cage, this isn't just directed at you mate.

Priorities should be, in this order;

Central Midfielder

Striker

Winger

Centre Half

It puzzles me why we're seemingly prepared to pay such a massive fee for Juhasz when we already have Bartley and Goian, not to mention Davie Weir who i sadly expect to still be first choice

Rangers just cant fucking win on this board

we don't put in big bids for players and we have a biscut tin mentality.

we push the boat out for a classy defender and we are spending too much money.

FFS people what do you actually want.

fwiw cage, this isn't just directed at you mate.

Although it does seem like Rangers can't win, I just believe our lack of consistency transfer-wise has been strange.

I thought Goodwillie was worth £2M, Verhoek is worth the £2.5M ADO want and I'm disappointed we don't seem willing to pay these amounts for young, talented players who would improve our team a lot and would have a big re-sale value.

To then go and pay nearly £4M for a 28-year old CB seems very inconsistent. Also, we were willing to pay £1.5M for Wallace who only had a year on his contract, thus one would think we'd be willing to pay the money required for Goodwillie & Verhoek but we weren't. Poor choice in my opinion.

Although it does seem like Rangers can't win, I just believe our lack of consistency transfer-wise has been strange.

I thought Goodwillie was worth £2M, Verhoek is worth the £2.5M ADO want and I'm disappointed we don't seem willing to pay these amounts for young, talented players who would improve our team a lot and would have a big re-sale value.

To then go and pay nearly £4M for a 28-year old CB seems very inconsistent. Also, we were willing to pay £1.5M for Wallace who only had a year on his contract, thus one would think we'd be willing to pay the money required for Goodwillie & Verhoek but we weren't. Poor choice in my opinion.

with the greatest of respect mate, what qualifies you to say what players are worth and not worth?

i trust out board to make the right choices for our club.

tbh 4 million euros wouldnt be a bad beal if he is as good as everyone says he is and also if we tied him down to a long contract so we can get his best days from him, IMO most players truley peak between 27-30 so IMO we are getting a player at his playing peak.

with the greatest of respect mate, what qualifies you to say what players are worth and not worth?

i trust out board to make the right choices for our club.

tbh 4 million euros wouldnt be a bad beal if he is as good as everyone says he is and also if we tied him down to a long contract so we can get his best days from him, IMO most players truley peak between 27-30 so IMO we are getting a player at his playing peak.

Surely you'd agree that it'd be silly to pay nearly £4M for a 28 year old centre back when we could have had Goodwillie & Verhoek for £4.5M but chose not to?

Surely you'd agree that it'd be silly to pay nearly £4M for a 28 year old centre back when we could have had Goodwillie & Verhoek for £4.5M but chose not to?

correct me if i am wrong but goodie was sold for closer to 3 million

and verhoek was going for roughly 2 million but the price is now 2.5?

thats closer to 5.5 million. personally i am not too worried about us losing out on goodwillie, i didn't really want him here anyway.

the other guy seems to be a bit of a loss but if he wants to stay in holland there is nothing anyone can do.