Do Perry And Mcmillan Keep Their Place

Ross and Jordan  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play them on Thu?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you think Ally will go back to experience?

• Yes
    • No

I don't think we should get too carried away by today. I thought Motherwell caused us problems and I still don't think we looked as assured at the back as we were last season. I think both Perry and Mcmillan did well though and should certainly be considered for future games especially when you consider that this was our best performance of the season and we need to build on that.

The main reasons we did well today for me were

1. Balance - we played a left winger on the left wing and a right winger on the right, that alone caused Motherwell problems, We need to have a proper go at Maribor on thursday and thats why we need our two wingers ortiz and wylde to start on thurs. They are our only 2 out and out eligible wingers and for that reason they play. Simple as

2. Centre of park, both Naisy and Davis were energetic and always looking to get forward in order to support and create chances. Against Maribor but in my opinion we should be looking to play with a similar style of midfield, Naisys suspended but maybe fleck could come in? it may be that mccoist wants to protect the defence and sacrifice one of them for mcculloch/ness/edu/hutton if there available.

3. Lafferty and Jelavic, the 2 of them being on the pitch together makes a massive difference, there movement is excellent and the fact they play close to each other really adds a dimension to our attack. Looks like it could be a real quality partnership upfront and is by far better than watching say miller and boyd. Naismith should only be used as a last resort up front as for me he's a midfielder all day long. Whether it be cutting in from one of the sides or moving forward from centre midfield, he's much more effective there than as a winger.

4. Whittaker being out, had such a bad start to the season that I think it helped us with him being out.

Mcmillan should be given a chance to challenge for whittakers place and I think he'll start on thursday. Perry on the other hand, well I think Bocanegra will start, I don't see Ally signing a player then not using him and I really rate Goian so far, hopefully they can form a good partnership.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Naismith was fantastic in midfield today; however, I'd have him on the right any day over Ortiz. Ortiz looked much, much better playing on the right side today, but looked at his best when he cut inside and got involved in midfield. I can't remember him doing anything on the wing. Quite simply, he isn't a winger and I can't think for a second why he was billed as one. Since Naismith is out, I hope he doesn't put Davis wide right and shove Ortiz to the left wing again. Anyone can see that doesn't work at all. Simple fact is we don’t have a proper right winger.

Last season some of our defending was shambolic, defensively we were not great last year.

At times id agree with you, and today was certainly better than us at our worst last year, but I still think Perry and mcmillan have a lot to learn and will face tougher opposition than motherwell, who with respect that's a few games now we've cruised past them. I dont want to take anything away from a terrific performance though and I think the two of them should go home happy as they both did very well. If it were me I'd consider mcmillan right now but only because whittakers had such a bad start. Id be sticking ross perry against jelavic most days in training and use him sparingly give him some more time to develop. I don't think he's ready to start over bartley, goian or weir and I don't think Ally bought bocanegra to make up the numbers.

Like i said well done to them and the whole team today, did an excellent job!

I think Ally will go back to experience and leave Perry out.

The message is, 'let's get behind us' because we will be having a right go on Thursday night against Maribor. Of that you can be sure," added McCoist. "Naisy's suspended, we've got other boys who can come back in. I would hope maybe Lee McCulloch has a chance. Bocanegra will be back.

:disappointment:

The message is, 'let's get behind us' because we will be having a right go on Thursday night against Maribor. Of that you can be sure," added McCoist. "Naisy's suspended, we've got other boys who can come back in. I would hope maybe Lee McCulloch has a chance. Bocanegra will be back.

Anyhow, maybe he's more likely to play Edu instead? :)

There is no denying both have lot's to learn, but playing regularly will help them advance quicker.

How many teams this season will be stronger than Motherwell in the SPL outside Celtic? Don't think the likes of Dundee United etc are any better, possibly Hearts but they have started poorly.

I agree they will learn more by playing games its important there ready psychologically for the pressure they'd be under if they played regularly for us tho. I think jordan mcmillan at nearly 23 has got to be looking to get a regular game now, if he's not then he shouldn't be here. Perry I think will come into the frame more this time next year (surely Davie Weir will have retired by then) Mccoist will see them every day and must know who Lafferty, Naismith, healy, Jelavic find it easier playing against.

I think right now our Pecking order for defensive positions should be

Gk

1. Mcgregor

2. Alexander

LB (maybe rotated more, against Celtic and big european teams, should we progress) id play papac over Wallace)

1. Wallace

2. Papac

RB

1. Whittaker (although id give him a few weeks out right now as hes had such a bad start)

2. Mcmillan/Bartley

3. Broadfoot (although probably no2 in mccoists head

CB

1. Goian

2. Bartley

3. Weir

4. Bocanegra (although i think he and bartley are probably the other way around in mccoists list)

5. Perry

6. Broadfot

I am of the opinion that once a player has the jersey and has played well, then he should keep that jersey. Obviosuly there are exceptions with top players but I think these 2 deserve to stay in the team.

Perry in particular was superb.

Bocanegra in for Perry.. Although Perry was very good today. We need experience first for Thursday. I'd keep McMillan at RB though.

We don't need experience for Maribor, we need a attacking team that will score goals. The team we played today should start on Thursday, this is the 1st time McMillan perry wallace and dorin have started together and they were brilliant together.

Whittaker has been playing with us for years and looks lost most times, and is to scared to tackle anyone & Broadfoot is just shite.

Watching Perry and McMillan today was so refreshing. Honestly the confidence they showed today was like the were seasoned pros. Perry reads the game very well and was very impressive. I thought McMillan was full of energy, was very composed on the ball and he wasn't afraid put his body were it hurt. You can tell this lad is a Rangers diehard. I know they've only played a handful of games but I would play both on Thursday as they will be so full of confidence after that display. Both players very well done. I'm one proud bear tonight.

Any player who plays well should keep their place in the side rebardless of age, experience or reputation. It sends a message to everyone that there are no guaranteed starters and that you're only as good as your last match. It takes a brave manager to take a tough stand, but sadly, from what McCoist has said tonight, this will not happen.