David Weir to stay on until next summer...

Frankie

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RANGERS were given a big boost today when Davie Weir committed his future to Rangers for another year.

The 36-year-old centre back has been a terrific influence since joining the club from Everton in the January transfer window.

He has helped tighten up the back line and his experience has rubbed off on those around him as Walter Smith's side has gone on a run of eight wins and two draws in the SPL.

Weir, who worked with Smith at Goodison and also the Scotland national team, was initially signed on a short-term deal.

However, today he signed up for another season and is delighted to be staying with the club he followed as a boy.

MORE ON THIS STORY TO COME.

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1014009,00.html?

Great news.

we really are in big trouble if we are celebrating a 36 year old staying for another year,my god how our ambitions have really dropped.

Weir may not be the most glamorous of defenders or the most long term of signings but there's no doubt he's had a positive effect on the club since he joined.

Having him here for another year can only benefit us for minimal outlay.

we really are in big trouble if we are celebrating a 36 year old staying for another year,my god how our ambitions have really dropped.

Yeah, because Davie Weir's been a poor signing who hasn't solidified the back line at all.

ok then minstral lets sign another svensson, or j-rod ... Weir has coasted the SPL and has made us much more solid at the back..why would him signing for a further year be anything but good?

Murrays just loves them accepting standards like that..

He just sits back and hope the guys who are against him GTF coz there seems to be plenty in that sandpit waiting to take their places

RIDING THE STORM A CANTER FOR HIM

Murrays just loves them accepting standards like that..

He just sits back and hope the guys who are against him GTF coz there seems to be plenty in that sandpit waiting to take their places

RIDING THE STORM A CANTER FOR HIM

spot on fish there is to many who believe every word he speaks is the truth.

Minstral, David Weir has been fantastic for us... One more year out of him so that others can learn and perhaps fulfill their potential (Svensson?) is good for the club and good for us.

It's not that our ambitions have dropped...The financial clout of even the Championship down south makes it difficult for both sides of the OF to attract top quality.

Weir is a no nonsense CB that gets the job done -- very well -- week in, week out. And was just what we needed when Walter came in.

Fish and minstral, if you have seen any of our games this year then you will know that as soon as we got weir in the side all the crazy goals we were leaking under PLG stopped. He wins everything in the air, no more crosses caquse panic in our defence. You guys are off your head slaggin him off. He has been a great success and our best signing of the season by far.

Fish and minstral, if you have seen any of our games this year then you will know that as soon as we got weir in the side all the crazy goals we were leaking under PLG stopped. He wins everything in the air, no more crosses caquse panic in our defence. You guys are off your head slaggin him off. He has been a great success and our best signing of the season by far.

Well if he is the standard you want for 1 year good on ye pal...seems I have higher standards than most on here

I couldnt care less how good a 36 yrs old guy who is pased it is

I want a long term buy with quality...planning ahead its called and building a team

The likes of Weir at 36 is totally unacceptable for RFC

He wasnt RFC standard at Hertz and still isnt unless you want to approve Murrays mismanagement

Who REALISTICALLY would you rather have at centre back?

Well if he is the standard you want for 1 year good on ye pal...seems I have higher standards than most on here

I couldnt care less how good a 36 yrs old guy who is pased it is

I want a long term buy with quality...planning ahead its called and building a team

And you live woth your head in the clouds. No1 is going to buy the club this summer. So do you want us to play svensson and papac next season?? Didnt really work for us before. Sometimes I think you would want to see us finish in the bottom 6.

I dont want murray here as much as you but I am realistic enoguh to know that we don't have the ,oney to spend that you want us to. We need to make the best with what we have until new investment comes in. Weir is a fine centre half and cruises it in this leage. He is definately not past it as our defensive record is the best in the league since he signed.

He wasnt RFC standard at Hertz and still isnt unless you want to approve Murrays mismanagement

Who REALISTICALLY would you rather have at centre back?

Nobody...Weir is the only option RFC have <cr>

FISH a wish you could open your eyes David Weir has been a great signing for Rangers he has steadied the defence which was needed and his performances have merited a new contract. Doesnt matter about his age he has experience which is needed if you have younger players in the squad and he can pass it on and the younger players like Svensson and Broadfoot can learn from him and the deal has nothing to do with Murrays mismanagement he is a good player and is available for nothing so why not take him

How did a thread about Davie Weir staying on become about Murray bashing?

Its great news, he's been one of the best defenders in the SPL recently, will help the youngsters, and is the type of defender we have been crying out for in years.

Any one who has been watching us since he came in will realise he is one of the reasons we have improved, how ever, some people will just use his age as a tool to bash Murray/Smith ofocurse.

where in my post did i say david weir has not done well for us,all i was on about is if people are celebrating him getting a new contract then our ambitions have really dropped.give the guy his due he has done well and i have no problem with him signing for 1 more year but i will not celebate it.