If Rangers/Celtic didnt exist

rangersross

IF one of the old firm didn't exist would the other be in the Premiership by now ?

Its something ive thought about and after talking to a few guys on holiday I believe the answer is yes. The guys I talked to were all fans of English Championship/Premiership teams and the biggest complaint was the sectarian problem. The fan of Birmingham said that the fact we would steal their places in the premiership potentially wasn't such a problem, he believed that we would deserve our place their and as the top Championship team would still qualify he wasnt too fussed. However he did tell me that racism is a big problem in the english leagues and that they wouldnt accept sectarianism as it would just add to the problem. So even though its just metaphorical I started to think, if there was no Celtic would Rangers be in the EPL now and vice versa, OR are we only truely big clubs together, are the opposing side a hinderance or a neccesary evil. Basically without the rivalry, would either of the old firm be that big a club and without the other could one of the old firm go on to be a major power in the EPL ?

I would think they would be bigger. There would be a bigger following for one major team in Glasgow. However had it been the case where 'Glasgow City' if you like were winning the league year in year out, there would not be the need to enhance the side much as there would be little or no competition.

I understand that the Old Firm" got that nickname because of their links in history when the 2 clubs sought to play on their "religious history"

If it wasn't for this then neither of the clubs would be the size they are now.

No, IIRC they didn't play on this religious history - those differences didn't really start to take effect until much later than the beginning of the Old Firm 'pun'.

That was foisted upon both clubs because they simply used to make the most of their local rivalry by continually playing each other with many games going to extra time and many friendlies being announced. As such, fans, media and officials at other clubs thought this rivalry wasn't the bad thing some people made it out to be.

If Rangers didn't exist another club would have taken their place and vice versa with Celtic.

Frankie, i will defer to your better knowledge.

BTW ... what does "IIRC" mean

'If I Recall Correctly'

The reason I used that expression was because I read the Old Firm pun origins in one of the RFC books I own. Unfortunately, that particular tome is at work and I can't find any more in another book I have here.

:)

"The term 'Old Firm' comes from newspaper reports of that first games when the Glasgow press stated that both sets of players ...'got on so well that you would believe that they were Old Firm Friends'."

Just found this on a few websites .... not sure how true it is though.

No, IIRC they didn't play on this religious history - those differences didn't really start to take effect until much later than the beginning of the Old Firm 'pun'.

That was foisted upon both clubs because they simply used to make the most of their local rivalry by continually playing each other with many games going to extra time and many friendlies being announced. As such, fans, media and officials at other clubs thought this rivalry wasn't the bad thing some people made it out to be.

If Rangers didn't exist another club would have taken their place and vice versa with Celtic.

The only reason the celtic exist is because Rangers are here, purely religious on their part, their equivalent of keeping up with the Proddies. They were foisted upon us !

"The term 'Old Firm' comes from newspaper reports of that first games when the Glasgow press stated that both sets of players ...'got on so well that you would believe that they were Old Firm Friends'."

Just found this on a few websites .... not sure how true it is though.

I've heard that before too Ace.

Again not sure how acurate it is....