Chris Killen

FlippinEck

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a few of the SPL's better players in and about our squad is fine IMO.

I say that because we need to build a squad capable of challenging on both the home and European front against different tactics and formations. Boyd is undoubtedly our main striker, but he leaves us short on options as he can't play up front on his own in difficult away games. We need to have players who offer us different options.

I would also question wether or not Boyd has the stamina to play about 50 games a season with the effort that will be required to challenge for the league and European progress? Would two or three "quality" strikers be willing to join a team in which rotation would have to become common? Can we afford to have 3 "quality" strikers in our squad when only 2 will be starting every week?

Personally I would answer no to all these questions and for that reason I think Killen would be a fantastic option to have in the squad. He's only £1,500 a week at Hibs which to us is peanuts to pay a player who is very capable of competing at SPL level. He is physically strong and has proved this season that he can put the ball in the net. People want us to sign Naismith because he scores goals and is young. Killen isn't exactly old either, would'nt cost a penny and has scored more goals than Naismith despite playing almost half the amount of games that Naismith has.

Of all the Hibs players we have been linked to, and there has been a fair few I would take Killen and Murphy as I think they are very under appreciated there and under rated by others!

dado you put it into perspective there, I dont see the problem with buying(or offering contracts to) a few of the best players in the SPL, IF the manager belives he can get them to work together and play for each other then you have a team that can win the SPL every year (caldwell, wilson, riordan, hartley, presley, mcdonald for a start at celtic). Then we can add quality players as we go along and challenge in europe but face it, as long as we qualify and give a decent show, we are not goign to win it any time soon, it is the way to go, i discussed it with my mate a lot but if it doesnt work out then they are seen as pishy signings from other spl clubs who couldnt hack it. wether or not broadfoot or gow will go on and play well for us I dont know but I think with gow we have secured a good player. weve already got, webster (albeit on loan) thomson, boyd,, murray aswell as gow/broadfoot, PROVEN spl players. other examples would be players like scott brown/whittaker/robson. but then thats just my opinion.

so are you agreed if hibs still had

murray, caldwell, o connor, riordan, thomson, they would still be mid table?

whittaker, jones, caldwell, murray

? Brown thomson murhpy

riordan o connor

would you not agree that team would do well in the SPL? obviously omitting a goalie and i dont know any of their right mids

is it no surprise that the man that brought most of those youth players through is now working for celtic?

so are you agreed if hibs still had

murray, caldwell, o connor, riordan, thomson, they would still be mid table?

whittaker, jones, caldwell, murray

? Brown thomson murhpy

riordan o connor

would you not agree that team would do well in the SPL? obviously omitting a goalie and i dont know any of their right mids

is it no surprise that the man that brought most of those youth players through is now working for celtic?

OK, maybe they might get into 4th place some years..

would rather take Steven Fletcher off them a young and upcoming Scottish talent he has a great work rate and whenever i have seen him on tv i have been impressed

Hibernian striker Chris Killen will leave the club at the end of the season, according to his manager John Collins.

The Easter Road club were keen to hold on to their top scorer - who has been out injured since January - and had offered him a new deal.

"The deadline for the new deal has gone so that tells me Chris doesn't want to be here next season," Collins said.

"He's done terrifically here so we wish him all the best."

Killen suffered an achillies injury near the end of the Scottish Cup third round tie against Aberdeen at Pittodrie and has hit 14 goals for the club this season.

"He's scored lots of goals for us but it's his prerogative, coming to the end of his contract, to look for a better deal," Collins told BBC Sport.

"There's no bitterness there at all as that's football for you these days.

"We have now got to focus on getting a replacement in for Chris."

However, Collins - who has tied up Motherwell's Brian Kerr on a pre-contract agreement - was keen to point out that there will not be wholesale squad changes at Easter Road in the summer.

Midfielder Michael Stewart is set to follow Killen out of the club.

"The nucleus will be here, there's players who will come and go like with most football clubs," he added.

"We want to strengthen every department of the squad and that's what we will do."

players we bring in should all be viewed as possible first team players, so that they can take the place of someone weaker in the squad. Signing lots of squad players isn't whats needed

players we bring in should all be viewed as possible first team players, so that they can take the place of someone weaker in the squad. Signing lots of squad players isn't whats needed

even when we have a weak squad? killen has been near top of the scoring charts despite not even playing for the second half of the season. killen would be a great cover option or player to bring on for boyd, his wages would be cheap. if sebo/prso/novo leave and all we bring in is gow we need someone like killen.

we sign mediocre players then the team will remain average for years to come. the club needs a better signing policy.

Should spend the budget on a few quality players, who are still mid 20's or so. that way we can build on it next season and the season after that and so on. its the way forward i think

Yeah it's fine to sign a few quality players to improve the team, but what happens if they get injured? We would still have guys like Sebo filling in. We need to build a squad aswell as a team!

I would feel far more at ease knowing that we have a proven SPL goalscorer in our ranks to fill should something happen to one of our main players.

I would rather see 2 or three class players added to our current pool than 8 or 9 mediocre squad players who would do nothing to enhance the squad other than take up bench space.