Acer 5535 Problem

Ace

My boys laptop won't boot up at all.

When i switch it on, I get power running though but the screen switches on and a flashing cursor appears at the top left hand side of the screen and does nothing else.

I have tried access "safe mode" but that doesn't work either.

Any ideas guys , other than "it's fucked"

At the moment I can't access a thing, all I see is a blinking cursor .... nothing else :(

Everytime I press a button, the machine beeps ... got a feeling this might be a motherboard issue but any advice or suggestions before it goes into a shop and costs me a fortune would be great

if you tap F8 can you get up the Advanced Windows options menu up? If so then its not the hard drive but the Boot from the OS is knackered. Try and go to Repair your computer option, login with your local user and try a system restore back a couple of months. If that fails go back into the same place but go to the Acer recovery. I cant remember is Acer offers a OS Repair option which will keep your files or if it only offers a full destructive restore. Am pretty sure it does offer the repair OS option. That would mean you can keep your personal file it usually sticks them in a folder on your desktop.

Hope this helps, any questions just PM me.

Had a similar thing happen to my Acer, had to reset the system to factory settings and everythings working fine now.

It may be f8 as Jamma said you tap to get into this, cant remember, but its not as bad as you fear at first.

Had a similar thing happen to my Acer, had to reset the system to factory settings and everythings working fine now.

It may be f8 as Jamma said you tap to get into this, cant remember, but its not as bad as you fear at first.

the key to get straight into the Acer recovery am sure is alt+F10 but trying to get someone who doesnt have a clue about computers doing that is fucking impossible. F8 is a much better option thats why I just said it in the first place.

the key to get straight into the Acer recovery am sure is alt+F10 but trying to get someone who doesnt have a clue about computers doing that is fucking impossible. F8 is a much better option thats why I just said it in the first place.

Alt F10 does sound familiar, but I'll trust your advice as I knew nothing, had to phone the helpline and get them to talk me through it.

Ok guys, i have tried Alt F10 and also tried F8, neither garners any kind of reaction from the machine ... it sits there, with blank screen, except from that flashing cursor in the top left hand corner just glaring at me.

When i power it up, i don't get the windows start up or anything close to that, i go instantly to this blank screen which reacts to nothing.

**Edit to say ... when i power it on, i get a screen shot that says "Acer .. Empowering People" THEN it goes to the blank screen **

Staring to think it's fucked !!

Ok guys, i have tried Alt F10 and also tried F8, neither garners any kind of reaction from the machine ... it sits there, with blank screen, except from that flashing cursor in the top left hand corner just glaring at me.

When i power it up, i don't get the windows start up or anything close to that, i go instantly to this blank screen which reacts to nothing.

**Edit to say ... when i power it on, i get a screen shot that says "Acer .. Empowering People" THEN it goes to the blank screen **

Staring to think it's fucked !!

Hard drives fucked. Take it to a shop.

try this first,

I know the alt/f10 has been mentioned already but

Remember to activate in Bios:

- Activate the option D2D RECOVERY in the Main menu.

Then use ( ALT+F10) when starting up (switch on while pressing them)

this should work always does for me.

Other option does your acer have 1. a cd drive and 2. a recovery disk (some do some don't)

if so in bios set boot options to cd then drive put cd in drive and restart.

Let me know if this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Probably a bit late but I had a similar problem on my home comp a few months ago after a power cut. Tried to boot and only could get the flashing cursor in the top left hand corner.

I phoned the Dell help desk and after about an hour of talking shite the guy asked if I had anything in any of the drives. Cd' in the player, Sd card in a slot etc and it turned out I did.

Once removed it started immediately. Simple I know but i didn't know about this. Seemingly if there is something in one of the slots the computer tries to boot up using that rather than the main computer itself.

Probably a bit late but I had a similar problem on my home comp a few months ago after a power cut. Tried to boot and only could get the flashing cursor in the top left hand corner.

I phoned the Dell help desk and after about an hour of talking shite the guy asked if I had anything in any of the drives. Cd' in the player, Sd card in a slot etc and it turned out I did.

Once removed it started immediately. Simple I know but i didn't know about this. Seemingly if there is something in one of the slots the computer tries to boot up using that rather than the main computer itself.

when you have a memory stick or SD card in the system it acts as a mass storage device and the computer tries to boot windows from it and because there is hee haw on it it doesn't load (tu) worth looking for that yes.

Ill check all this at the weekend, give it one last heave or else its off the great computer scrap hear in the sky and time to get a new one, it is about 4 yrs old now.

Its his 16th coming up, so might spring for a new one then,