Hm Naval Base Faslane And Our Founders.

TheMoonlighter

334kw7k.jpg

Wednesday 7th September 2011 saw myself, and my two colleagues from The Founders Trail Gordon and Neil accept an invitation and fulfill a dream by visiting Belmore House.

Belmore House is the birthplace of our Founders Moses and Peter McNeil and their brother William who also gave many years service to the Rangers.

The House stands within the grounds of the Faslane Naval Base on the shores of the Gareloch.

What follows is a report on our visit and the history of Belmore House .

http://blog.thegallantpioneers.co.uk/wp/

(tu)

Nearly all of my family have worked at Faslane at some point in their lives. Really interesting to know that it has a seminal place in our clubs history.

I worked there for a decade myself over two periods. But, my memories of Belmore house stem largely from my childhood, long before it's grounds were consumed by the ever expanding naval base.

Belmore house stood beside two other notable Garelochhead landmarks - post WWII Nissen huts that were home to many Polish and Yugoslavian military men (amongst others) who fought alongside British forces and who's families still live in the village.

There was also a huge ship-breaking yard there to deconstruct many of the surplus ships from WWII. In the sixties, gathering conkers from the grounds of Belmore house and ball-bearings from the ship-yard was something else to do other than the incessant playing of fitba.

The Highlander origins of The Rangers is a source of immense local pride in Garelochhead. I love it when eejits ask why I don't support a local team instead of The Rangers - as a Garelochhead man myself, just how local do they expect a team to be? :D

Belmore House is the birthplace of our Founders Moses and Peter McNeil and their brother William who also gave many years service to the Rangers.

The House stands within the grounds of the Faslane Naval Base on the shores of the Gareloch.

Loved that article - and well done to you guys for adding another important piece to the historical jigsaw of The Rangers!

334kw7k.jpg

Wednesday 7th September 2011 saw myself, and my two colleagues from The Founders Trail Gordon and Neil accept an invitation and fulfill a dream by visiting Belmore House.

http://blog.thegallantpioneers.co.uk/wp/

Ah, now I realise the real reason why George Galloway spent so much time protesting outside Faslane.

Loved that article - and well done to you guys for adding another important piece to the historical jigsaw of The Rangers!

It's your story.

This venture to Faslane will see our Founders story going out to thousands more.

That's what the project is all about.

We'll without doubt be running a tour bus up to Garelochhhead and Rosneath to visit Peter Campbell's house, Moses last known address at Clynder and his final resting place next spring.

I've spoken to the owner of the Anchor Pub in Garelochhead about stopping for lunch etc.

We'll get a package together and get the local community up there involved as much as we can.

Ah, will have to give it a miss this year then and hope for another time. The sites in the Gareloch will be walking distance for me when I'm back so may have to do my own wee tour (tu)

We'll be running a Tour up to the Gareloch area early next year to visit homes and final resting places.

Keep an eye on our website for details.

http://www.thegallantpioneers.co.uk/

We'll be running a Tour up to the Gareloch area early next year to visit homes and final resting places.

Keep an eye on our website for details.

http://www.thegallantpioneers.co.uk/

It would be nice if the publicity that ensues motivated our new owner to finally do something about the shocking state of Moses' grave in Rosneath.

It would be nice if the publicity that ensues motivated our new owner to finally do something about the shocking state of Moses' grave in Rosneath.

The Founders Trail was represented at this years Rosneath Highland Games in July.

I was out of the country.

My two colleagues who attended said that work had been done on Moses grave and the stone cleaned, i can only assume by the local council.

Has it since fallen into dis-repair ?

The Founders Trail was represented at this years Rosneath Highland Games in July.

I was out of the country.

My two colleagues who attended said that work had been done on Moses grave and the stone cleaned, i can only assume by the local council.

Has it since fallen into dis-repair ?

Much more likely it’s been done since I was last there - I’m very pleased to hear it!