Real Scum Brand Atletico Madrid Scum.

Atletico Madrid fury as Celtic legend Billy McNeill brands club 'scum' for shameful tactics in 1974 European Cup semi

Sep 12 2011 By Alan Marshall

atletico-madrid-stadium-vicente-calderon-512491316.jpgatletico madrid stadium vicente calderon

Atletico Madrid's Vicente Calderon Stadium

SHOCKED Atletico Madrid last night vowed to take their fury out on Neil Lennon's men after Celtic legend Billy McNeill branded them scum.

The La Liga outfit have been left stunned ahead of Thursday night's Europa League crunch following the no-holds-barred attack from the Lisbon Lions skipper.

McNeill insisted Atletico still make him sick after the sides' stormy 1974 European Cup semi-final.

Atletico brutally battled to a goalless first-leg draw at Parkhead in which they had three players sent off and seven booked.

They were fined by UEFA for their shameful antics in Glasgow and won the second leg to reach the final.

McNeill, 71, has revealed he will never forgive Atletico, particularly for their thuggish treatment of Jimmy Johnstone.

But the legend's outburst has sparked fury in Madrid with Atletico's current staff and players deeply unhappy at his remarks.

Brazilian full-back Filipe Luis said: "I read what their former captain said.

"In fact we all did because we have talked a lot about it and I don't think it was a very nice thing to say.

"That's his opinion but this was a long time ago. We are only talking about the game this week, not what happened all those years ago.

"He has called our club scum and that motivates me and the players. We don't want any violence, we are not like that.

"We are just going out to play football like we normally do. We know Celtic will be a tough game but we think we are a better team."

A spokesman for Atletico echoed the words of Luis but still opened the door for McNeill to travel to the Vicente Calderon.

He said: "We don't want to get distracted talking about an incident 37 years ago.

"We look forward to welcoming all our friends at Celtic to Atletico. Including McNeill."

Atletico boss Gregorio Manzano, who refused to comment on McNeill's remarks, revealed he didn't even bother to send a scout to watch Celtic destroy Motherwell at the weekend.

His side crashed to a 1-0 loss to Valencia and Manzano said: "I'll watch Celtic's tapes this week but we didn't have time to send someone to see them play Motherwell."

Same thread backgorund I posted earlier.

Again , Will UEFA look at these remarks after all King Billy is the Ambassador for that "Irish team that happens to play in Scotland" Now who said that again .Can you help remind me Billy Mc Bingo.

Also I wonder if FARE remember them! will drop Platini a note , on these shocking remarks against a fellow UEFA member.

Athletico are going to fucking ruin them, 4/5 nil and lego muncher sent off.

Find it rich how anyone from that shameful outfit can brand anyone scum.

Well it is Billy McNeil, he's the senile bitter old bastard who claimed we would never do nine in a row.

Did one of his daughters not get done for shoplifting or taken to court once! Does anyone know if this was the case , bit unsure , even if someone knew year/month, I could check through the papers doh

silly silly me as if they would report it , if it's true or just a rumour. I am sure it was alleged it had happened ,:dry:

Believe it or not I was at that game in 74 (sniff sniff).

Atletico did indeed kick lumps out of them.

Which was fun to watch, as well as my first ever experience of a timplosion. They were fkn raging.

It would have broken the internet if it happened these days.

Which was fun to watch, as well as my first ever experience of a timplosion. They were fkn raging.

What you being at the glitterdome and The Rangers not playing there :uk::)

Ya big Tim :BELM: