Unpopular Thoughts/opinions About The Rangers

Senna

The ECWC win is almost worthless nowadays. It's OK as an additional piece of European silverware, but next to the European Cup? Of miniscule importance.

It's embarassing how poorly we have done in the EC/CL over the last fifty-odd years.

Utter Rubbish you are talking about the ECWC being worthless. You should be proud that we won it, plus we beat better teams than the Papes did when the won the European Cup.

Should have probably made that part more clearer, the links are nowhere near as big as some think, same with the scum/Ireland.

Whole grew up supporting Rangers knows what it's like to play for and love the club such as Healy/Lafferty does not wash with me.

Have you been to Ni yourself at any point to gauge it for yourself? And how the hell can you speak for Healy/Lafferty? Do you know them personally and know that they didn't grow up Rangers fans? Is Amac lying when he says he knows Healy's family personally and their all massive Rangers fans, Healy's dad even running the local Rangers club? :lol:

Utter Rubbish you are talking about the ECWC being worthless. You should be proud that we won it, plus we beat better teams than the Papes did when the won the European Cup.

100% correct, if memory serves me right every team we knocked out went on to win their league (if mistaken hands held high as memory loss) But was it the week after we dumped Bayern out in the semi at Ibrox, either 8 or 9 of their players played fro West Germany at Wembley in a European Qualifier and beat England 3-1.

Bloody dam good teams we beat!!

Have family who stay in N.I and one of my bests mates moved there, so yes I have first and second hand experience to gauge it. Not to mention I would expect the same type of statistics that I posted about Irish fans attending EPL before Celtic would be very similar to us with N.I fans.

As for being Rangers supporters, I never actually meant they were not fans of the club. Reading the post back and with the other point I can see why it looked that way. Was more connected with my original post about signing Rangers fans because they know what it's like to play for the club. That does not wash with me and there is certainly fans out there that wanted Healy to sign(resign) because he is a Rangers man from N.I.

There is also a decent debate that N.I players get off lightly for their performances compared to the European and especially the Scottish lads, why so if there is a massive connection with N.I!?

I was born there :D The NI link is still strong, I can think of (off the top of my head) at least 8 Rangers supporters clubs in Belfast alone. It's difficult to judge anyway, as with the amount of people who support Rangers and an EPL club at the same time, if you see someone in a Chelsea/Liverpool/Man Utd top then they could still support Rangers as well to some degree. I'm sure Ibrox would easily be in the top 10 most visited football grounds for fans from NI.

You mean when a player who is seen to know what it means to play for the club is signed instead of players who aren't rangers fans of greater ability out there?

I agree with that last point. I think we pick on the Scottish lads the most. Though I dont think Lafferty has gotten off lightly with us over the years, unless you think he deserves more criticism than he's getting! :lol:

The best thing for the league and in the long term us is for a team outside the old firm to win the league. We should share match day revenue to allow other teams to compete and create a more interesting league people will want to watch.

The less savory elements of our support are critical to having an atmosphere.

You don't have a right to your seat you've sat in for 10 years, even if your late father passed it down to you.

Most rangers fans couldn't give a fuck about being British if they didn't think it pissed off celtic fans.

To many people judge our level against celtic

The BJK song is a disgrace

Barry Ferguson was by far the best player we have had since the 9IAR team

John Fleck has the most potential out all our youth players

we all know it's good to get things off your chest now and again

but most of this stuff should be kept in the dressing room ,.....for want of a better term.

There is nothing wring with recognising your faults, it's the only way to self improvement

I'd rather be self critical than believing that you are perfect e.g. Celtic

There is nothing wring with recognising your faults, it's the only way to self improvement

I'd rather be self critical than believing that you are perfect e.g. Celtic

I agree but there is a certain time and place for it

ripping ourselves a new arsehole on a forum is just not for me .

1. Neil Lennon from a managerial viewpoint only has done a decent job so far (still a massive twat though)
  2. Lee McCulloch and Maurice Edu contribute to the team
  3. Alex McLeish considering what he was up against was a fantastic Rangers manager
  4. Klos was a better goalie than Allan McGregor
  5. Some of the songs we sing means we are rightly clamped down on
  6. The reaction to Kaunas on this forum was stupidity of the highest order
  7. Walter played the right tactics against Zenit

Got any? I'll give a couple of mine to start off and let you get the idea.

Out of the two, Laudrup was a bigger and better player for us than Gazza.

I don't get the fuss over Gattuso playing for us, he wasn't bad but that was about it.

Craig Moore was the better CB of the Moore/Amo partnership under Eck.

If any other manager had cost us 10iar like Smith did, they would have been castigated.

In a purely tactical sense, Advocaat was one of our shrewdest managers.

(the point of these is to be unpopular or slightly controversial, don't just comment 'that's pure shite' without at least offering some of your own.)

jimmy, is this thread no a wee bit redundant, considering that most of the threads are, from what i read in the bearÅ› den, of this ilk.

Really rich money men would never touch Rangers with a barge pole and anyone ever mentioned as a potential rich Rangers sugar daddy learned their trade watching Only Fools and Horses.

Many Famous personalities see it as a negative if they 'outed' themselves as a Rangers supporter , so will never admit to being one.

The venture down under in early noughties with buying in Northern Spirit was successful as a revenue stream as well as unearthed hidden gems of players

1. Neil Lennon from a managerial viewpoint only has done a decent job so far (still a massive twat though)
  2. Lee McCulloch and Maurice Edu contribute to the team
  3. Alex McLeish considering what he was up against was a fantastic Rangers manager
  4. Klos was a better goalie than Allan McGregor
  5. Some of the songs we sing means we are rightly clamped down on
  6. The reaction to Kaunas on this forum was stupidity of the highest order
  7. Walter played the right tactics against Zenit

Sorry, what!?

Sorry, what!?

From my recollection people were calling for Walter to be sacked off the back of it. A man who'd won seven titles in a row with us and just months earlier got us to a Uefa Cup final and put a bit of pride back in the team after being humped by Celtic in the league for a couple of years before that.

From my recollection people were calling for Walter to be sacked off the back of it. A man who'd won seven titles in a row with us and just months earlier got us to a Uefa Cup final and put a bit of pride back in the team after being humped by Celtic in the league for a couple of years before that.

We were also off the back of having thrown away a league title, his transfer business that summer prior to Kaunas was very questionable not to mention the tactics, and we were humiliated, it's not as if they beat us by fluke, we were lucky to only lose that tie 2-1.

It was a sackable offence, Walter's past success did buy him the chance to bounce back from that by winning the league and thankfully he did. Getting that 2009 title was the turning point of Walter's second spell because it was looking like his second spell was going to be a failure in terms of winning important trophies and just full of near misses, I doubt he's have stayed on if we hadn't got that.

But point being, I don't think you can blame people for having strong reactions to that one.

We were also off the back of having thrown away a league title, his transfer business that summer prior to Kaunas was very questionable not to mention the tactics, and we were humiliated, it's not as if they beat us by fluke, we were lucky to only lose that tie 2-1.

It was a sackable offence, Walter's past success did buy him the chance to bounce back from that by winning the league and thankfully he did. Getting that 2009 title was the turning point of Walter's second spell because it was looking like his second spell was going to be a failure in terms of winning important trophies and just full of near misses, I doubt he's have stayed on if we hadn't got that.

But point being, I don't think you can blame people for having strong reactions to that one.

I think the turning point was the moment he returned. I'm a strong believer in the fact that the only reason we'd lost the league the year before was because we got to the Uefa Cup final and you also have to take into account the fact that Walter had to totally rebuild from the shambles that PLG had left him. In one season to be able to turn that squad into a side being humped at home by St Johnstone to a team that in Europe beat opposition like Lyon, Werder Bremen and Sporting Lisbon shows the real progress made under Walter in the 2007-2008 season.

Having said that Rangers F.C. operate by winning titles and it would be fair to state that winning the 2009 was absolutely necessary and possibly one of the most important title victories in the history of the football club.

We were humiliated and people were right to be annoyed Walter was furious as well no doubt but to call for a manager to be sacked after his previous record and the progress we were making was stupid in my opinion.