Battlefield 3 Beta

MartinGers93

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caspian Border wasn't unlocked for long on the PC.

I'm not sure where this 'compressed' stuff comes in, they're not compressing textures or anything, that's a pretty strange idea.

Due to plaltform holder certification issues the 360/PS3 builds are a few weeks old apparently. The graphics are not great, but I suppose might be improved slightly on release. The console versions look like the PC version on low settings, but it hardly matters it's still going to be a far, far more nuanced and interesting game than the boring, limited and soulless MW series.

And I agree the silly bugs are going to hurt BF3 sales, people don't really distinguish between betas and demos, mainly because publishers themselves hardly seem to anymore. It seems such a weird choice of map as surely EA are aware that people are going to be basing purchasing decisions on it.

It was always going to be trounced by MW3 though.

I'm not sure where this 'compressed' stuff comes in, they're not compressing textures or anything, that's a pretty strange idea.

Due to plaltform holder certification issues the 360/PS3 builds are a few weeks old apparently. The graphics are not great, but I suppose might be improved slightly on release. The console versions look like the PC version on low settings, but it hardly matters it's still going to be a far, far more nuanced and interesting game than the boring, limited and soulless MW series.

And I agree the silly bugs are going to hurt BF3 sales, people don't really distinguish between betas and demos, mainly because publishers themselves hardly seem to anymore. It seems such a weird choice of map as surely EA are aware that people are going to be basing purchasing decisions on it.

Agree 100% with everything you said. MW3 will sell 15m+ on it's name alone.

DICE have released a list of changes they will be making after feedback from the beta:

• Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.
  • Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.
  • Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.
  • Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.
  • Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.
  • A subtle low health screen effect has been added.
  • Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.
  • Tweaked the Rank progression.
  • Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.
  • Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.
  • Framerate stability fixes.
  • The 3D spotting icons has been tweaked to better match the target’s visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.
  • Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.
  • Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.
  • Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.
  • Non working options in squad menu fixed: “Private” flag and “Switch Teams”

Yes they are, the beta has downgraded graphics to keep it smaller for downloading.

DICE have mentioned on several occasions that this beta is an older build and only used to test their servers when thousands of people are logging in.

I'm even more convinced of getting it now.

As for people still preferring MW3 over this: I'm glad.

BF has always had a bit more adult player base who work together to win games, instead of nade spamming kids who abuse you if you kill them ;)

If it keeps those wankers away, good.

Yes they are, the beta has downgraded graphics to keep it smaller for downloading.

DICE have mentioned on several occasions that this beta is an older build and only used to test their servers when thousands of people are logging in.

BF has always had a bit more adult player base who work together to win games, instead of nade spamming kids who abuse you if you kill them ;)

It depends who you play with when online.

There are a few who play on COD as a team [WATP] and we are pretty hard to beat against anyone because we play as a team, playing to the objective rather than running about looking for kills (although we get them as well)

Fairly sure that only applies to the PC version though, which doesn't have any of the 'ultra' settings in the download, ie no high-res textures etc.

never played battlefield games, always been MW or CoD games, is battlefield 2 any good?

It's a preference thing here, if you like bf3 then people will say it shits all over cod or vice verse with CoD to Bf3.

Personally, I don't like it but that's me, download and try the beta .. You'll get your own ideas from it rather than listening to fanboys from both sides shouting each other down !

Looks to me like they made a mistake using an older build of the game for the beta.

Despite stressing that the only reason for the beta is testing their servers (which seem to be doing ok) people are still bitching about issues, which for all they know could already be fixed in the newest build.

Always played COD never played Bf apart for the demo for Bf2. Didn't like it. Started playing the Beta for Bf3 had a few games didn't like the map, kept dying quickly, couldn't shoot anyone and was about to delete but decided to have another shot first. Then I got the optical sight and what a difference it has made. Now I am learning the map, not to run about like a headless chicken, still getting shot - a lot :disappointment: but it's starting to grow on me and I am starting to like it and the different style of gameplay. Not enough to desert COD despite my love hate relationship with Black Ops and I am really looking forward to MW3.

PS anyone know what's happening with Zappella (I think) original developers of Modern Warfare. I am looking forward to see what they do next or is there still a court case to be settled first? Thanks in advance for any info.

Always played COD never played Bf apart for the demo for Bf2. Didn't like it. Started playing the Beta for Bf3 had a few games didn't like the map, kept dying quickly, couldn't shoot anyone and was about to delete but decided to have another shot first. Then I got the optical sight and what a difference it has made. Now I am learning the map, not to run about like a headless chicken, still getting shot - a lot :disappointment: but it's starting to grow on me and I am starting to like it and the different style of gameplay. Not enough to desert COD despite my love hate relationship with Black Ops and I am really looking forward to MW3.

PS anyone know what's happening with Zappella (I think) original developers of Modern Warfare. I am looking forward to see what they do next or is there still a court case to be settled first? Thanks in advance for any info.

Wait till you get the Infra Red scope and suppressor for the M4! Makes sneaking about capping the objects very easy.

Since no else has mentioned it.. EA have confirmed that hi-res textures will be on the retail disc for the console versions of BF3.. But to use them you need to install it onto your HDD.

It still won't be comparable to a PC on ultra settings, but it will look alot sharper!