Offensive Chanting At International Matches.

thebooler

So, the SNP are trying to bring in new Laws which can see a football fan arrested for "offensive chanting".

It will be interesting to see how many fans get arrested at the next Scotland game for singing that "offensive" anthem, Flower Of Scotland. Or is this one OK cos it suits wee Salmond's agenda?

Any English Bears on here fancy reporting the singing of this song to the nearest copper next time they hear it "offending" them at an International match?

But seriously, will this type of "offensive chanting" also be banned, or is it really only the fans of the big, bad Rangers who are being continually targeted?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about a time we were an independent country who had been invaded by the English and were fighting to preserve our independence.

True. But try to stay on topic. The song is offensive to an Englishman. Will you be arrested for singing this "offensive" song at a football match?

It's about a time we were an independent country who had been invaded by the English and were fighting to preserve our independence.

Quite similar to Derry's Walls or the Sash then wouldn't you say.

Politics should be kept out of sport...none of this should be at Rangers blah blah blah

Yet our unofficial dirge harks back to a war 372 years prior to the one we sing about...mmm slight double standards and hypocrisy i would say.

The new laws don't need to be passed. Any football fan shouting or singing abuse at a football match will be arrested under the current laws.

(tu) That's why the new laws seem pretty pointless really.

The reason I mention the new laws is because I thought that's how you opened your post.

What does it matter?

Do you get to rule on what is and isn't offensive?

You're trampling over my human rights if you decide that my offence is in some way less important than somebody else's.

I wasn't implying anything with the question I asked. It was simply a question out of curiosity.

Don't put words into my e-mouth please, *Manticore*.

Quite similar to Derry's Walls or the Sash then wouldn't you say.

Politics should be kept out of sport...none of this should be at Rangers blah blah blah

Yet our unofficial dirge harks back to a war 372 years prior to the one we sing about...mmm slight double standards and hypocrisy i would say.

An interesting point fact.

Cheers for that.

So, the SNP are trying to bring in new Laws which can see a football fan arrested for "offensive chanting".

It will be interesting to see how many fans get arrested at the next Scotland game for singing that "offensive" anthem, Flower Of Scotland. Or is this one OK cos it suits wee Salmond's agenda?

Any English Bears on here fancy reporting the singing of this song to the nearest copper next time they hear it "offending" them at an International match?

But seriously, will this type of "offensive chanting" also be banned, or is it really only the fans of the big, bad Rangers who are being continually targeted?

This has puzzled me for a while, because it is 'offensive' towards us English and The Billy Boys is 'offensive' to the Irish Catholics. I suppose their is more Irish Catholics in Scotland however it shouldn't be a numbers thing...it is either offensive or it isn't. I am offended they havnt even taken this into consideration and that on its own is an offence by the offender. Offensive Bastards :).

What do you find offensive about "Flower of Scotland" ?

i'm sure there are parts of it which can be deemed offensive..........even the 'famine song' was deemed offensive some time back

so i also suppose that 'top of the league and your not' could be classed as offensive as you are antagonizing other people that are not in pole position!

(tu) That's why the new laws seem pretty pointless really.

The reason I mention the new laws is because I thought that's how you opened your post.

I did open my post with mention of the new laws mate. I'll give ye that.

Many people think the new Laws are pointless. They'll only be pointless if they're not tinkered with to suit certain peoples' agendas against the Rangers and their supporters.

I'm sure we'll be in for many a surprise when these new Laws are brought in.