Spain V Scotland

G.E.C.

Your fucking worse than Levein. That leaves 4 players to take care of 7 other far superior players. It we even want too stand a chance that's certainly no fucking it by a long shot. All we can hope for is the good old Walter Smith approach of soaking up a lot of pressure then hitting on the break or playing high up the park and try and pressure Spain.

Don't think that would work they could rip us open if we are pushed up especially with Caldwell and Berra at the back, the Walter Smith approach is the only 1 that I can see working.

At least we have a chance of going through in the last game this time and this match will actually mean something.

Isn't everyone missing something here?

Even if we do match Czech Republic's result and finish in second place, the chances are we aren't going to have enough points to qualify for the play-offs as there are 9 groups and there are only 8 play-off spots.

EDIT: Actually just noticed that the best runners up qualify for the finals automatically.

Likely play-off participants:-

Turkey

Republic of Ireland

Serbia

Bosnia

Sweden

Croatia

Montenegro

Scotland/Czech

I'd call us the weakest from that lot. And I seem to remember they seeded the play-off draw last time round.

Other possible teams:

Belgium - Need to beat Germany, In a situation much like our own.

Armenia - Need to beat ROI

Estonia - Need to hope Serbia draw or lose to Slovenia

France - If they lose to Bosnia, they would be overtaken and drop to the play-offs

Greece - If they lose to Georgia, and Croatia win their game they will drop to the play-offs

Portugal - Have a winner takes all clash with Denmark, but the loser should be the best 2nd place team and get guaranteed qualification.

Denmark - As above.

I think even if we pull off a miracle and get through, it'll be tough.

Isn't everyone missing something here?

Even if we do match Czech Republic's result and finish in second place, the chances are we aren't going to have enough points to qualify for the play-offs as there are 9 groups and there are only 8 play-off spots.

You're thinking of the World Cup. The way this one works is that the 2nd place team with the most points gets automatic qualification, and the other eight go into the play-offs. So all second placed teams have a chance.

You're thinking of the World Cup. The way this one works is that the 2nd place team with the most points gets automatic qualification, and the other eight go into the play-offs. So all second placed teams have a chance.

Yeah just realised that, I reckon we'll get it.

Everyone is forgetting Lithuania beat the Czech's in Prague.

Classic Scotland scenario sees them drawing 1 - 1 with Spain whilst the Czech Republic score a winner in the last minute. One thing about Spain is they don't have anybody like Messi so if you can keep your shape and discipline you have a chance of keeping them out (whilst they keep the ball!). Not sure about the Czech's. Apparently they got booed off in their last game by the fans but they did look as good as Scotland, at least, from what I've seen. Lithuania have nothing to play for.

If Sweden beat Holland on Tuesday they are guaranteed the best second place spot regardless of other results. Would not be surprised if that happens considering Holland struggled at home to Moldova and have not picked their strongest squad. Even Croatia could take that spot if Portugal/Holland win and the goal difference goes in their favour with a good win at home to Latvia. All to play for!

Fancy Estonia to be in the play-off's and would not be surprised and with a bit of Luck Armenia defeat R.O.I

On our day with the correct tactics and formations I see nothing to be scared off in that draw. Sweden, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Croatia are not that great teams and those ties are winnable.

I was trying to make it as simple as possible :lol: There are a lot of possibilities from every group other than England's.

I fancy Armenia too, but I don't think we'd even be able to get them if they do seeding again.

The seeding system for play-offs is a joke, introduced by FIFA in the 2010 World Cup qualifiers obviously to try and get more of the bigger nations in since the likes of France and Portugal required a play-off to get to South Africa. Looks like UEFA have followed suit.

The group stages are seeded which is fair enough but when it comes to second placed teams fighting it out to qualify it should just be an open draw.

With the squad they have for this game, Spain's arguably worst eleven would be as follows;

Reina

Arbeola Albiol Ramos Alba

Cazorla Alonso Martínez Mata

Torres Llorente

Still very strong.

mcclymontscott Scott McClymont

by STVSport

Spain defender Raul Albiol is out of Tuesday's game against Scotland with a fractured cheekbone sustained in training today #scotland

Your point still very much stands mind.