Interest in Aluko

DougieGers

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read a story on Skytext today about Aluko. It had quotes from Allan McGregor saying he has done well: is very fast and has looked like a good finisher in training.

Did anybody else see it?

ALLAN McGREGOR reckons Sone Aluko could offer Rangers something different after impressing in training at Murray Park this week.

The Rangers No1 had a close look at the former Aberdeen star who has been given a chance to shine on a trial at the Auchenhowie training centre.

McGregor said: "I saw Sone in training and I thought he looked really good. I understand he had been suffering an injury earlier this year but he looked great.

"He looks like he can offer something different. He likes to take the ball and he is very quick. He also had some good finishes in training.

"So hopefully things will work out for him and the club."

McGregor reckons there is a feel-good factor this week after good results during the international break as Rangers prepare for Saturday's clash with St Johnstone.

The 29-year-old earned his 19th cap last Friday as Scotland defeated Cyprus 2-1 and then the Scotland under-21s achieved a fantastic victory by the same scoreline in Holland on Monday.

He said: "I know people said we should have won the game but no international games are easy these days - especially away from home - so it was good to get a victory.

"Cyprus were a decent side and I had to make a few saves, especially one from Georgios Efrem.

"I remember him when he was a young lad at Rangers - and I think he started his career at Arsenal - and he must be doing well in his homeland to get into the national team.

"I think there is a good atmosphere in the Scotland squad both on and off the pitch. I think we are working hard for each other and you can see improvements since Craig Levin has taken over.

"Although we failed to qualify for the Euros I think you can see progress.

"There are some more friendlies coming up next year and they will be important for the manager.

"I hope the under-21s' result in Holland has given everyone a boost too because I think it shows we are progressing at all levels.

"It was a very good result for them and it puts them in good stead in their qualifying table.

"I was pleased for Ross Perry and Gregg Wylde. It's important that the young Rangers boys are involved in the Scotland under-21s while also developing at Rangers.

"You need to be doing well at your club to get in there so it just proves that they have been doing that."

So in essence you're saying it's acceptable for yourself to base an opinion that Kerkar is not good enough for Rangers on about 15 minutes of competitive football. Yet state other people aren't allowed to say Aluko is not even basing that opinion on seeing him play many times for the sheep?

Aluko is not good enough for Rangers and I don't need to see him play 10 games for us to believe so. Both are not good enough and Aluko would contribute more, but that wouldn't be saying much. If Aluko does sign I doubt he will play much unless we're going to get rid of squad players.

Are you sure Kerkers even played 15 minutes for us? The guy is never going to get a 10 games in a row for us.

He was a pointless signing. he might not be on much but, he's still taking money of us for nothing.

I know it won't happen, but we should do what Motherwell did last week with Stephen Hughes and basically just bring Aluko in on a short-term contract till January. It would give Ally longer to decide whether he thinks the lad can offer us something worthy of a 2 or 3 year contract.

I know it won't happen, but we should do what Motherwell did last week with Stephen Hughes and basically just bring Aluko in on a short-term contract till January. It would give Ally longer to decide whether he thinks the lad can offer us something worthy of a 2 or 3 year contract.

was thinking this myself

It just makes sense to me. If we brought him in till January at least Ally would have a chance to play him in a competative match or two.

yup and it would help us out until then also. not sure exactly what the rules etc are, not really been following this case much tbh.

yup and it would help us out until then also. not sure exactly what the rules etc are, not really been following this case much tbh.

a trialist cannot play in any competitive games, but a short term deal until january is allowed obviously as he has no club and can therefore play in our games as a registered player

the only thing that may hinder the deal is if vienna beat villa by 2 goals,

Well he's a free agent, but a basic summary of the situation is that Aberdeen are claiming they would be due compensation for the player's development even although they didn't buy him as a youth player. Aluko's camp are claiming that he was already developed when Aberdeen bought him, but as far as I know it's unkown how it would turn out if we signed him and it went to a tribunal. I don't see how we could be due Aberdeen much cash if we only signed him for 5 or 6 weeks initially though....