Lennon, Thompson and Stokes link to IRA band?

Fury

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lennon, Thompson and Stokes join The Roll of ‘Honour’?

November 16, 2011 by Chris Graham 2 Comments

As I write this I’m not sure why I am not instead reading about it in a Scottish newspaper. The Sun newspaper have been sniffing around this story for over a week now, including speaking to NBM for a comment, but don’t seem to want to commit so, in a week which has shown some incredible double standards, we’ll now have a look at the most glaring hypocrisy of all.

Earlier this month Peter Lawwell, the Celtic Chief Executive, issued the following statement about IRA singing by the Celtic support:

“Chants glorifying the Provisional IRA are totally unacceptable.

One, it is wrong, and it is an embarrassment to the club and embarrassment to the majority of supporters.

We have dealt with it at Celtic Park and we will do all we can to make sure it doesn’t happen home or away.”

A very reasonable statement on the surface, aside from the glaring inaccuracy that this chanting has been dealt with at Celtic Park. I am well aware that many Celtic supporters find IRA chanting unacceptable. However Celtic, as a club, have been pandering to the lowest common denominator in their support for some time now. They have allowed ǝpɐbıɹq uǝǝɹb ǝɥʇ in particular to do, sing, chant and display whatever they like. This group have even been responsible for attacks on stewards, police and ball boys without any sanction from the club (

) . This has led to a perception amongst a sizeable group of Celtic fans that they are untouchable and the IRA and sectarian chants have increased both home and away. Make no mistake, ǝpɐbıɹq uǝǝɹb ǝɥʇ may have started the ball rolling but this type of chanting is now widespread at Celtic Park as well as when Celtic visit other grounds.

You will recall that earlier in the week I wrote about Anthony Stokes’ support on Twitter for a band who like to sings songs in praise of PIRA terrorists – The Players Brigade, http://chrisgraham76.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/regan-stokes-and-media-double-standards/ and the media double standard in not reporting it, http://chrisgraham76.wordpress.com/2011/11/14/singin-im-no-a-billy-hes-a-tim .

This band were formed and operate from a pub called the Player’s Lounge which is owned and run by Anthony’s father and in which Anthony has a share (as confirmed by his father on RTE on the 14th March 2011). There are also rumours on Celtic forums that one of the band members, Mick Byrne, is Anthony’s biological brother (http://www.board67.com/celtic-related/14946-stokes-family-shocker.html). One of the band’s favourites is a song called Roll of Honour, which congratulates the IRA terrorists who bombed innocent civilians during their campaign of terror.

I won’t show any more of their offensive songs here but follow this link and you will see more videos of them on YouTube, celebrating terrorism and full of anti British sentiment (dare I say racism).

It would seem that whilst Celtic are happy to tell the media that they condemn IRA chants and sectarian songs, they don’t actually want to have to do anything about it. This perception is further strengthened by some extraordinary pictures sent to me by regular readers of this blog, Ross and @be1873. The pictures below were posted on the Players Brigade Facebook site but have since been removed.

These pictures show that not only is Anthony Stokes joining in with the singing but also that Neil Lennon, the Celtic manager has posed for photos with the lead singer and guitarist of the band and that Alan Thompson, the Celtic assistant manager also took to the stage for a sing song. It’s clear that not everybody at Celtic Park shares Peter Lawwell’s embarrassment of links with the IRA.

Now I think it needs to be pointed out that nobody is suggesting that Stokes, Lennon or Thompson have done anything illegal. No matter how distasteful people find the songs that this band sing they are not currently illegal as far as I am aware. Whether they should be is another matter. However, it is massively hypocritical of Celtic to issue statements condemning their fans for singing these songs when the players and management at the club are happy to pose for photos, promote albums and join in a sing song with a band who sing precisely the type of songs that Celtic claim to be embarrassed by.

Furthermore it is quite clear that the Celtic fans representatives do not share the club’s view that IRA songs are unacceptable. Yesterday, Joe O’Rourke, the head of the official Celtic Supporters Association published an extraordinary piece which confirms not only that his club’s fans have indeed been singing IRA songs but also that they should be perfectly entitled to do so. Excuse the preponderance of semi colons if you bother to read his rant – Joe is a massive fan of them (http://www.thecsa.co.uk/showthread.php?t=496) .

Joe O’Rourke’s view, that everybody is out to get Celtic and that they should be allowed to sing sectarian and IRA songs unfettered, is shared by Jeanette Findlay – the head of the Celtic Supporter’s Trust. This, from the recent game with Rennes is the sort of thing Jeannette finds acceptable. Chants of “Ooh Ah Up the Ra” by a huge number of the Celtic support. Not exactly a small minority eh? The incredible thing being that they are so proud of it they film themselves and post it on the internet.

Ms Findlay also stated in Parliament that she found the use of the word “h**” entirely acceptable. So she enjoys a bit of a sectarianism as well as some terrorist supporting. Lovely woman.

A picture therefore emerges of a conflict between the media portrayal of Celtic and what the club actually practices. Their CEO says the club deplores IRA chants and songs but some of the management and players clearly fraternise with band who sing them and their fans reps demand the right of Celtic fans to keep singing them. The media have the same information that everyone else has. All this stuff is available on the internet so why are they not writing about it? Why publish a piece on Frank McAvennie singing with a PIRA band (http://143.252.148.202/scotsol/homepage/news/3739347/Boozy-Maccas-IRA-song-shame.html) but ignore it when current Celtic players and management are involved? Why publicise a Peter Lawwell statement rejecting the IRA without reporting that Celtic fan reps are demanding that IRA songs should be allowed? Your guess is as good as mine but the stench of double standards is again overpowering.

If Celtic actually want to do something about this they might want to start by getting their players and management to stop fraternising with IRA bands and perhaps replace their official fan representatives with people who don’t think that singing about the IRA is to be applauded and is the best way to be proud of your Irish roots. Until then, the proclamations made by their CEO, which the media lap up without so much as a question, will be seen by everyone else for the hollow statements they actually are.

How reliable is this Blogger? Is it really an ira band as stated or a band that has sung songs regarding the ira? The lack of media attention seems to suggest this is a non story. Would be interested to see if other well known media outlets have picked up on this.

How reliable is this Blogger? Is it really an ira band as stated or a band that has sung songs regarding the ira? The lack of media attention seems to suggest this is a non story. Would be interested to see if other well known media outlets have picked up on this.

There is always a lack of media attention when things involve them. Sweep sweep.

Imagine if this was the other way around: Ally, Durrant and Lafferty in sectarian UVF singing!

TBH stokes doesnt surprise me, inbred cunt!

Exactly what I was going to post. If they had been pictured in a pub linked with the UVF and posing for pictures with the resident loyalist band then this would be all over the papers.

A) How reliable is this Blogger?

B) Is it really an ira band as stated or a band that has sung songs regarding the ira?

C) The lack of media attention seems to suggest this is a non story. Would be interested to see if other well known media outlets have picked up on this.

A) Very

B) Its an Irish Rebel band whose songbook consists largely of pro IRA songs.

C) Shock Horror.

All media outlets are being made aware on a constant basis though (mostly through sending via twitter)... so it's not as if they don't know.

Exactly what I was going to post. If they had been pictured in a pub linked with the UVF and posing for pictures with the resident loyalist band then this would be all over the papers.

Especially as in the picture you can clearly see stokes up singing with the scumbag.

Not the first celtic players to be caufht singing "illicit" songs. ("illicit"- what a fucking joke).

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/33626/Celtic-players-IRA-blast.html