Aiden McGeady: I was right to choose Irish

Aiden McGeady: I was right to choose Irish

AIDEN McGEADY has no doubt his decision to snub Scotland for the Republic of Ireland has been fully vindicated by his adopted nation’s qualification for Euro 2012.

The ex-Celt decided to turn his back on the land of his birth and dawn the colours of his grandfather’s country, believing it would offer him a better opportunity to make major finals.

Now with the Republic’s resounding 5-1 aggregate success over Estonia guaranteeing them a berth in Pot Four, the Spartak Moscow wing ace admitted his delight.

McGeady said: “Every team in Europe wants to be part of a major finals. Only 16 teams are there and we feel honoured to be among them.

“I’m delighted because I never hear the end of all the talk of picking Ireland over Scotland. This has justified my decision.

“So many good teams didn’t qualify and that shows how far we have come in a short space of time. It’s very pleasing when you see the names of some of the countries who didn’t qualify.”

The ex-Bhoy has been an ever-present in the Republic’s qualifying campaign.

McGeady added: “I have played in every game and that is a great boost for me. I think my performances have been good and I have set up a few goals, so I’m proud of that as well.

“But we are delighted to make the finals and this has been a great campaign for me.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/aiden-mcgeady-i-was-right-to-choose-irish-1.1135465?localLinksEnabled=false&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

He just cant help himself. Just shows what were up against.

Couldn't care less and he's probably right.

Another casualty of the 'you're too wee' at 12 thing that ruins our national game.

I'm eligible for England, if I had got to a high level of football and they came calling I can't say I wouldn't have considered it. Moreso when you think of some of the numpties - outside of Smith and McLeish - that we've had in charge.