Steve Bruce Sacked By Sunderland

Sunderland have parted company with manager Steve Bruce.

Bruce becomes the first Premier League manager to leave his job this season after two wins in the first 13 games.

"It is my job to act in the best interests of our football club and I can assure everyone that this is not a decision that I have taken lightly," chairman Ellis Short said.

"Sadly results this season have simply not been good enough and I feel the time is right to make a change."

Bruce joined the Black Cats from Wigan Athletic in the summer of 2009, and led the club to a 10th place finish in the Premier League last season.

However, results have not been as good this term and Short has acted to arrest the slide which has seen the Black Cats slump to within two points of the relegation zone. "Steve has acted with honesty and integrity throughout, which is testament to the character and commitment he has shown during his time at Sunderland," Short added.

"I would like to personally place on record my thanks to him for his significant contribution to our football club over the past two and a half years and everyone here at Sunderland naturally wishes him the very best for the future.

"I would also like to thank our fans, who have endured a trying start to the season. Their support continues to be the driving force behind our club and is vital as we now look to the future."

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That crowd reaction was among the worst I've ever heard. Deafening.

Yeah the atmosphere was almost poisonous yesterday, even before Wigan got the winner. No excuses though, he needs to leave, his 2011 record is nothing short of embarrasing.

Also noticed William Hill already have a market open for the next permernant Sunderland manager.

Yeah the atmosphere was almost poisonous yesterday, even before Wigan got the winner. No excuses though, he needs to leave, his 2011 record is nothing short of embarrasing.

Sounded like you guys were absolutely cruising as well, according to Merson.

What was the thinking behind Gyan leaving?

Sounded like you guys were absolutely cruising as well, according to Merson.

What was the thinking behind Gyan leaving?

Given the chances we created, we should of been 3 or 4 nil up before Wigan got the penalty. Then that's the thing that irks me about Bruce, he just can't seem to motivate the players at HT and they always come out to the 2nd half worse for wear.

Regarding Gyan, he's actually said in a few interviews that "money makes him happy" so I still say he was turned by money but I wouldn't blame him for wanting to leave as the club have broken promises and have left some key players go.

Given the chances we created, we should of been 3 or 4 nil up before Wigan got the penalty. Then that's the thing that irks me about Bruce, he just can't seem to motivate the players at HT and they always come out to the 2nd half worse for wear.

Regarding Gyan, he's actually said in a few interviews that "money makes him happy" so I still say he was turned by money but I wouldn't blame him for wanting to leave as the club have broken promises and have left some key players go.

Do you agree on my point about his Newcastle background leaving him out of favour from the start? It's hard to argue with him being under pressure now but i've read a Sunderland forum on a fairly regular basis and there's been abuse and 'Bruce out' stuff ever since it started to unravel last season, even though you seemed to be exceeding expectation before that by challenging for Europe and still got the top 10, not to mention an awful injury list and Bent leaving the way he did. Start of this season there were several new signings a decent draw with Liverpool, then a derby game was lost and it was Bruce out again, which I found a bit much after two games, regardless of last season he stayed and over saw a high turnovers so surely deserved more time than that?

As I've said I like him as a manager and i've always felt he can turn Sunderland around up till Saturday, losing to the bottom club at home and the way the home crowd really turned plus Niall Quinn being gone suggests there's no way back now.

Do you agree on my point about his Newcastle background leaving him out of favour from the start? It's hard to argue with him being under pressure now but i've read a Sunderland forum on a fairly regular basis and there's been abuse and 'Bruce out' stuff ever since it started to unravel last season, even though you seemed to be exceeding expectation before that by challenging for Europe and still got the top 10, not to mention an awful injury list and Bent leaving the way he did. Start of this season there were several new signings a decent draw with Liverpool, then a derby game was lost and it was Bruce out again, which I found a bit much after two games, regardless of last season he stayed and over saw a high turnovers so surely deserved more time than that?

Yeah for sure, definitely didn't help saying he was "Newcastle to the core" and a few other things prior to becoming Sunderland Manager. His incredibly average record for a manager I don't think helped either especially with the managers we were linked with during the summer of that year.

If I know what the forum you are referring to, its just a bunch of knee jerkers and a bunch of sarcastic replies so I doubt all the "bruce out" posts were genuine. Though I fully justify any "bruce out" posts after the start we have made this season, especially playing away to Brighton in the League Cup playing the infamous Levein formation.

Off the top of my head, Luce, I think we've won only 6 games since Bent left :anguish:

Teflon Steve. An excellent player but an awful manager. His record is dreadfully poor.

Plus, anyone who signs Nicklas Bendtner deserves to be sacked for that alone. Not to mention spending a fortune on Conor Wickham and then hardly playing him!

I like Sunderland and they deserve a lot better. They have a great squad imo and Bruce has had a lot of chances with it. It's like he's lost the plot. Calling Sunderland fans "Newcastle obsessed" etc. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he was gone by lunch time tomorrow.

As for Gyan, wasn't it the most expensive loan deal ever? £6mil or something?

In that case you must go!!!

O'Neill is currently 1/2, wonder if Stan James are ITK

Recently the bookies have been well off with their prices for next manager markets. They stopped taking bets and had Mark Hughes favourite for both Villa and Chelsea jobs and hes still unemployed :lol:

I was well and truly bemused by the criticism of Gyan by Bruce after he left.

Bruce was giving it the big he's willing to play at a lower level and ultimately he has had his head turned by money while almost forgetting that about two thirds of all the players who are playing in England are only there because of the wages on offer :lol: