We Welcome The Chase

bluepeter

With three weeks to go until the festive Old Firm game, should we be concerned that our lead at the top of the table has decreased from twelve points to four? Well, to start with, I don’t agree that we were ever twelve points ahead. Obviously points in the bag are better than a game in hand, but I believe a true lead can only be judged when the teams have played the same number of games. We have, however, seen the lead reduced by five points over the past couple of weeks, which does tend to set the nerves jangling.

What has gone wrong? I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our recent run of poor form has come at a time when we are missing some key players. The injury to Naismith has obviously had an impact; perhaps less obvious is the difference we see whilst missing Bocanegra and Papac. A settled back line is a good platform to build from, and gives a stability and confidence to the team. Goian hasn’t looked as comfortable without his usual partner, and Broadfoot unfortunately hasn’t inspired confidence, although his performance on Saturday was an improvement. We’ve gone from a fairly settled team to one which is seeing enforced changes every week, and we’re seeing sluggish and nervous performances as a result.

Remember that our lead was built up at a time when Celtic were dropping points all over the place and frankly looked a shambles. Without a ten minute second half spell against Kilmarnock, where they recovered a three goal deficit, they could have realistically been called a club in crisis. Since then, they’ve had a bit of a run, with five wins from six in the league. I don’t think that they’ve suddenly become untouchable; their performance on Sunday against a poor Dundee Utd side left a lot to be desired. Performances like that will see them continue to drop points over the rest of the season.

We do have some reasons to be cheerful: the first half performance on Saturday showed some positive signs, with a new look formation allowing for some decent attacking play. Even though it is very early into his Rangers career, bringing Aluko into the team could be viewed as a masterstroke in a few months time. He looks like he will bring us some good, positive, skilful play and could be exactly what we’ve been missing. Bendiksen also had a bright start and even much-maligned scapegoat Edu had a good game. If we can build on that performance, we can pick up all the points from our away trips to Hibs and St Mirren, and we should also beat Inverness Caley at Ibrox. On paper, Celtic don’t have it any tougher in the league before the Old Firm game, but they have a tricky must win away tie to Udinese next midweek, before travelling to St Johnstone, so that could be a result to look out for.

Overall, I don’t think the reduction of our lead should give us too much cause for alarm. We were always going to drop points; I’d rather do it when we have a comfortable lead than at any other time. We will drop more points over the course of the season, as will Celtic. I believe though that we will go into the Old Firm game with the same - or a larger - gap intact. If, at the start of the season, you had offered me a four point gap going into the second week of December, I would have torn your hand off. Our focus now needs to be on maintaining the gap we have, keep on picking up the points and let them worry about keeping up. As a wise man once said; “We welcome the chase.”

http://home.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php/component/content/article/41-finances/1341-old-firm-build-up-we-welcome-the-chase.html

With three weeks to go until the festive Old Firm game, should we be concerned that our lead at the top of the table has decreased from twelve points to four? Well, to start with, I don’t agree that we were ever twelve points ahead. Obviously points in the bag are better than a game in hand, but I believe a true lead can only be judged when the teams have played the same number of games. We have, however, seen the lead reduced by five points over the past couple of weeks, which does tend to set the nerves jangling.

What has gone wrong? I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our recent run of poor form has come at a time when we are missing some key players. The injury to Naismith has obviously had an impact; perhaps less obvious is the difference we see whilst missing Bocanegra and Papac. A settled back line is a good platform to build from, and gives a stability and confidence to the team. Goian hasn’t looked as comfortable without his usual partner, and Broadfoot unfortunately hasn’t inspired confidence, although his performance on Saturday was an improvement. We’ve gone from a fairly settled team to one which is seeing enforced changes every week, and we’re seeing sluggish and nervous performances as a result.

Remember that our lead was built up at a time when Celtic were dropping points all over the place and frankly looked a shambles. Without a ten minute second half spell against Kilmarnock, where they recovered a three goal deficit, they could have realistically been called a club in crisis. Since then, they’ve had a bit of a run, with five wins from six in the league. I don’t think that they’ve suddenly become untouchable; their performance on Sunday against a poor Dundee Utd side left a lot to be desired. Performances like that will see them continue to drop points over the rest of the season.

We do have some reasons to be cheerful: the first half performance on Saturday showed some positive signs, with a new look formation allowing for some decent attacking play. Even though it is very early into his Rangers career, bringing Aluko into the team could be viewed as a masterstroke in a few months time. He looks like he will bring us some good, positive, skilful play and could be exactly what we’ve been missing. Bendiksen also had a bright start and even much-maligned scapegoat Edu had a good game. If we can build on that performance, we can pick up all the points from our away trips to Hibs and St Mirren, and we should also beat Inverness Caley at Ibrox. On paper, Celtic don’t have it any tougher in the league before the Old Firm game, but they have a tricky must win away tie to Udinese next midweek, before travelling to St Johnstone, so that could be a result to look out for.

Overall, I don’t think the reduction of our lead should give us too much cause for alarm. We were always going to drop points; I’d rather do it when we have a comfortable lead than at any other time. We will drop more points over the course of the season, as will Celtic. I believe though that we will go into the Old Firm game with the same - or a larger - gap intact. If, at the start of the season, you had offered me a four point gap going into the second week of December, I would have torn your hand off. Our focus now needs to be on maintaining the gap we have, keep on picking up the points and let them worry about keeping up. As a wise man once said; “We welcome the chase.”

http://home.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php/component/content/article/41-finances/1341-old-firm-build-up-we-welcome-the-chase.html

Good post, and a bit of positivity for a change (tu)

However (and I'm sorry for dragging this down) I can't see where goals are going to come from at the moment.

Naisy is a big big loss for us at the moment - I must admit I have under-estimated the guy's contribution in the past.

Jela is off the boil and Lafferty just doesn't do it for me.

Our midfield should be helping more in relieving the burden of scoring goals - however they don't contribute enough.

Whilst December will be a big month - for me, January will be the time that determines our season.

Id love to share your optimism but what ive been watching recently gives me great concern.

We're all concerned by recent performances, but I saw a glimmer of what's hopefully to come on Saturday. With Bocanegra due back this weekend, and Papac coming back hopefully soon, we'll get the stable defence back. The goals don't look like flowing at the moment, but Jela can click into gear and if Bendiksen and Aluko can keep performing and supplying ammunition we can start scoring again, imo.

I think losing Steven Naismith will cost us the league unfortunately. There is no one in our squad with his drive, enthusiasm, ability, movement and goalscoring threat.

We all saw the effect losing Terry Butcher had on us when he broke his leg and the similarities are frightening.

They say one man doesn't make a team but the difference in performances since losing him has been very apparent.

I would happily take a borefest 0-0 draw right now but on present form i can only see one outcome and it's a win for them. They have the bit between their teeth and their important players back. Their team is more or less settled and they are not losing the silly goals they were earlier in the season.

All their problems merely masked our deficiencies but it has to be said we took full advantage of them which has given us this 4 point cushion.

I can only hope that players coming back from injury inspire the likes of Davis and Jelavic to find their form again but it appears there is too much tinkering and too many changes as McCoist himself doesn't look sure what his best team or formation is just now.

I think losing Steven Naismith will cost us the league unfortunately. There is no one in our squad with his drive, enthusiasm, ability, movement and goalscoring threat.

We all saw the effect losing Terry Butcher had on us when he broke his leg and the similarities are frightening.

They say one man doesn't make a team but the difference in performances since losing him has been very apparent.

I would happily take a borefest 0-0 draw right now but on present form i can only see one outcome and it's a win for them. They have the bit between their teeth and their important players back. Their team is more or less settled and they are not losing the silly goals they were earlier in the season.

All their problems merely masked our deficiencies but it has to be said we took full advantage of them which has given us this 4 point cushion.

I can only hope that players coming back from injury inspire the likes of Davis and Jelavic to find their form again but it appears there is too much tinkering and too many changes as McCoist himself doesn't look sure what his best team or formation is just now.

Put more eloquently than I could muster (tu)

Some good points BP but outwith the injury to Naismith I feel that our biggest problem lies in the poor form of our two most important players Jelavic and Davis. As much as Naisy was doing well you would get the impression from some posts that we were almost a one man team with him pulling all the strings. His energy is a big miss but I still feel that an under par Jelavic and Davis are having a major effect on how our team operates.

Our failure to buy another striker like Goodwillie or Miller is what is biting us on the arse right now. If jela goes off form, (or gets injured) we've no cover for him.

Hopefully we won't lose any players in january and can buy an attacking striker to freshen up our forward play.

At least Ally has finally realised getting jela to take throw-ins is a bloody stupid idea as we need him to be on the recieving end in the box. Watching him throwing the ball in to the likes of Broadfoot made me want to cry.

Celtic are a confidence side. When they are winning they play well, but if they suffer a setback they crumple like a £20 Asda suit. If we can keep on winning they will lose momentum before the old firm game and will be ours for the taking.

Our failure to buy another striker like Goodwillie or Miller is what is biting us on the arse right now. If jela goes off form, (or gets injured) we've no cover for him.

Hopefully we won't lose any players in january and can buy an attacking striker to freshen up our forward play.

At least Ally has finally realised getting jela to take throw-ins is a bloody stupid idea as we need him to be on the recieving end in the box. Watching him throwing the ball in to the likes of Broadfoot made me want to cry.

Celtic are a confidence side. When they are winning they play well, but if they suffer a setback they crumple like a £20 Asda suit. If we can keep on winning they will lose momentum before the old firm game and will be ours for the taking.

I totally agree with you, especially the point about Jelavic taking throw in's. That's so wrong it's not funny. Do they (the Management) actually watch the DVD's of our games?

This bit is missing from that piece, to some extent deliberately. We can all see that Jelavic and Davis are part of the sluggish, nervous performances I spoke about, but I agree that they are key players, particularly in the absence of Naismith, and we really need them to up their game. I didn't mention them specifically as I wanted to keep it positive, and I can't find much positive to say about their recent performances. I'll lump them in with the 'stability and confidence' we'll get when we get our defenders back. I really think that will make a difference to the whole team's performance.

Disappointed in how pessimistic you are, but your comments are fair enough. I hope and pray (as I'm sure you do) that the players we do have available can prove you wrong (tu)

I honestly think with Bocanegra and Papac back, and if we attack them - we'll destroy Celtc at the San Giro.

im with you on this one mate, that manky lot cant handle us on the attack there full backs are terrible and jela will boss there centre backs if he gets his finger oot his arse! i also feel davis will up his game in that one he always seems to!

Well done article, but I don't agree with it at all.

I am alarmed, the Dunfermline game did nothing to change that despite the win. There are no excuses for letting a big lead be cut like that in such a short space of time, going on about accepting a 4 point gap in December at the start is a just a cop-out in my opinion, you have to look at the circumstances and in these circumstances we've thrown away the momentum. 9-14 points was a great lead to have, 4 points is really nothing especially with them to play three more times.

I struggle to have much confidence in this team right now, the gap we had was a great chance to bury Celtic and give them little to be confident about by just keeping on winning, but the performances have been a disgrace and the results poor as well obviously. The 28th is a game i'm dreading more than anything right now, just need to see if anybody gives me a reason to feel differently.

Well done article, but I don't agree with it at all.

I am alarmed, the Dunfermline game did nothing to change that despite the win. There are no excuses for letting a big lead be cut like that in such a short space of time, going on about accepting a 4 point gap in December at the start is a just a cop-out in my opinion, you have to look at the circumstances and in these circumstances we've thrown away the momentum. 9-14 points was a great lead to have, 4 points is really nothing especially with them to play three more times.

I struggle to have much confidence in this team right now, the gap we had was a great chance to bury Celtic and give them little to be confident about by just keeping on winning, but the performances have been a disgrace and the results poor as well obviously. The 28th is a game i'm dreading more than anything right now, just need to see if anybody gives me a reason to feel differently.

Fair comments mate. I think we built up the lead while they were having a bad run, which happens to all teams during a season. We've had a bit of a bad run now, but are still ahead by 4 points. If we can bring that bad run to an end now we've got to be overall happy with that at this stage. A couple of players coming back into the team and a couple more coming back onto form will make a huge difference, hopefully that happens starting this Saturday.

This bit is missing from that piece, to some extent deliberately. We can all see that Jelavic and Davis are part of the sluggish, nervous performances I spoke about, but I agree that they are key players, particularly in the absence of Naismith, and we really need them to up their game. I didn't mention them specifically as I wanted to keep it positive, and I can't find much positive to say about their recent performances. I'll lump them in with the 'stability and confidence' we'll get when we get our defenders back. I really think that will make a difference to the whole team's performance.

Disappointed in how pessimistic you are, but your comments are fair enough. I hope and pray (as I'm sure you do) that the players we do have available can prove you wrong (tu)

The difference is that in Smith we had a manager who had been over the course many times before. Although i didn't always agree with his tactics and choice of player he got us 3 in a row and a lot of that had to do with his man management rather than tactical genius.

The other area i touched upon is the Naismith problem. We are a poor poor team without him and only now he is out do you realise just how important he is to the team and our general style of play. Since losing him Jelavic looks lost and sluggish.

I did however touch upon the injured players and the fact there is the chance that their return may provide a spark to others and some form of stability. A factor that was crucial in us opening up that huge gap earlier in the season.

The two problems though that i cannot see McCoist rectifying with the current squad are the midfield and forward areas. In midfield he has a few choices he can make but up front virtually nothing apart from Lafferty and Jelavic.

Steve Davis and Nikica Jelavic are well below par and i just have this horrible gut feeling they know something we don't. Bit of a co-incidence both are playing with the look of condemned men. I hope i am wrong and it's just a general slump but it needs to be rectified asap if we are to go to the Paedo dome with our 4 point lead still intact.

As for McCoist....nope sorry not convinced by his managerial capabilities and being his own man as too many performances this season have been well below what is expected. Too much reliance on the old guard and the same line ups that failed under Smith and earlier in the season in Europe.

However i too hope i am wrong but i base my reasons on the evidence before my eyes not blind faith. I think the January window is going to be crucial in determining whether we retain the title or not.

The difference is that in Smith we had a manager who had been over the course many times before. Although i didn't always agree with his tactics and choice of player he got us 3 in a row and a lot of that had to do with his man management rather than tactical genius.

The other area i touched upon is the Naismith problem. We are a poor poor team without him and only now he is out do you realise just how important he is to the team and our general style of play. Since losing him Jelavic looks lost and sluggish.

I did however touch upon the injured players and the fact there is the chance that their return may provide a spark to others and some form of stability. A factor that was crucial in us opening up that huge gap earlier in the season.

The two problems though that i cannot see McCoist rectifying with the current squad are the midfield and forward areas. In midfield he has a few choices he can make but up front virtually nothing apart from Lafferty and Jelavic.

Steve Davis and Nikica Jelavic are well below par and i just have this horrible gut feeling they know something we don't. Bit of a co-incidence both are playing with the look of condemned men. I hope i am wrong and it's just a general slump but it needs to be rectified asap if we are to go to the Paedo dome with our 4 point lead still intact.

As for McCoist....nope sorry not convinced by his managerial capabilities and being his own man as too many performances this season have been well below what is expected. Too much reliance on the old guard and the same line ups that failed under Smith and earlier in the season in Europe.

However i too hope i am wrong but i base my reasons on the evidence before my eyes not blind faith. I think the January window is going to be crucial in determining whether we retain the title or not.

I agree that January will be a very important time for us, the loss of Naismith is a huge blow and we need to replace the drive and energy he provided. I have high hopes for Aluko, and if Bendiksen lives up to his promise the midfield-front link up looks like it could be better than it has been.

In my opinion, the evidence changes so drastically over a few weeks that I'm not going to decide if we're going to win the league until May. A month ago we were building up a huge league and a lot of them had thrown in the towel. I didn't then get over-excited and claim the league was all but won, so I'm not going to now think it's all but over because we've had a slump. Who knows, a month from now we could have won all our games and opened up a huge gap again! As you rightly say, the evidence of the past few games doesn't look great, but I can see hopeful shoots of recovery and I'm optimistic so I'll keep my head up and keep believing.

I hope we're saying the same in three years time about McCoist as we're now saying about Smith - we might not always agree with his tactics but he's delivered 3-in-a-row.