holding midfielder

derek1872

I think defensive midfielders come in all different guises. You get the combative type like Gattuso, Mascherano and Stuart McCall. Then there is the ones who read the game well like Hemdani, Robert Prosinecki, Matthaus and Xavi.

I don't think you need to fall into particular attributes to be classed as a 'holding midfielder'. As long as you break up play and retain possession. Gattuso may do this by charging into tackles and running himself into the ground whereas Xavi reads the game well and is always available to take a pass when a team mate is in trouble and 99% of the time will retain possession for the team.

If you have a player who reads the game well and is also very competitive then you have someone who is going to excel in the role. Alonso for example isn't overly physical but he tackles well, reads the game well and makes the short passes well to keep his team ticking over.

I used to love the all action style of McCall and Gattuso. They covered every blade of grass and always made sure the tempo of the team was high. We definitely miss a player in this mould although I think Clement would have grown into this role had everything turned out differently!

When I was in Barcelona last year I was talking to some locals about Fabregas' potential move to Barcelona and pretty much everyone was of the opinion that Busquets was ten times the player Fabregas ever will be.

This was during the World Cup, and interestingly, if you mentioned Real Madrid Players like Ramos doing well for the National team they would disregard him completely.