james scotland symon

marmalade1872

just how good was mr symon his record is a very good one to behold but could we have got more from him if only the boardroom had gone about matters in another way.

he managed east fife & preston before he came to ibrox were 6 championships 5 scottish cups and 4 league cups kept the cleaners busy.

but it was his leaving that annoyed me as he was asked to be general manager working with davie white i think that would have been one of the first of that type of set-ups at that time,but alas his pride let him walk out the door do any of the fans who remember those times think we should have tried harder to make it work,its just a thought, an old hand at the helm and ayoung vibrant coach.

symon built a fantastic team, the best rangers team i've seen that played terrific football.however i've spoken to lots of our players from that era and they all say he was tactically naive especially in europe.we had a team which could have won the ec no doubt.maybe symon and a younger more modern thinker would have worked.

Symon was a great manager and in my opinion gave us the best Ranger team that i ever seen. He got a raw deal from the board when you think of all that he done for the club.

Not only did Symon get a raw deal at the time of his sacking, but some catastrophic decisions of the board led directly to the pressure he was under anyway.

The decision, a couple of years previously, not to give Baxter enough money to keep him (OK, I know it was a different age in these matters), robbed us of maybe another 2 or 3 years one of the greatest talents we ever had.

Additionally, the horrendous kneejerk reaction to get rid of Dandy and Forrest after Berwick also probably cost us the ECWC, which would have gone a long way to counteracting the tarriers EC win, and lessening the pressure on him. Who knows, we might even have won the league that year, if we'd kept those 2.

Not only did Symon get a raw deal at the time of his sacking, but some catastrophic decisions of the board led directly to the pressure he was under anyway.

The decision, a couple of years previously, not to give Baxter enough money to keep him (OK, I know it was a different age in these matters), robbed us of maybe another 2 or 3 years one of the greatest talents we ever had.

Additionally, the horrendous kneejerk reaction to get rid of Dandy and Forrest after Berwick also probably cost us the ECWC, which would have gone a long way to counteracting the tarriers EC win, and lessening the pressure on him. Who knows, we might even have won the league that year, if we'd kept those 2.

agree 100% the lawrence family were the ones that brought rangers to a very lean time after yes our best ever team scot symon was the brains behind that side and remember when he left he took over as general manager at firhill and they stuffed steins army 4/1 at hampden i knew a director of the club back then and he says it was a sore point jim b. leaving and split the board until waddell apeared 4 year later his football philosophy was long ball from mcloy and seewhat we could pick up.lucky for him we had some class players then...............

Without doubt Symon was axed because of the Berwick Rangers result and the failure to win the league and the Cup Winner's Cup. In my opinion he would have provided the old head on White's shoulders as Symon was never a tracksuit manager who too training sessions.

He was a great man manager but tactics were somewhat dictated by players. Ralph Brand tells how he and Jimmy Millar stayed behind after training constanty working on moves and set pieces. I think White would have endorsed this but would have benefited from Symon's presence behind the scenes.

Too late now to know what would have been the outcome of this partnership.