walter smith

marmalade1872

over the years our old manager gave us many trophys:but in your own words what was his stong points and his weak points and what single event would you say was his greatest moment.

Failing to win 10 in a row was a weak point, and playing players out of position was another weak point. But he was a great man to man manager, and brought us some wonderful times.

Strong point was always being better than them, weak point was his tactics in Europe in the mid 90's when we had players like Gazza and Laudrup playing in a team with a cracking defence and one of the best keepers in the world yet we still went out and got pumped 3 and 4 nil by everyone. Not sure really on his greatest moment, in his recent stint it would have to be taking us to the UEFA cup final, despite the nature of the football.

Weak points slightly defensive minded but far worse was his inability to bring through young players (ultimately cost us 10IAR).

Strong point I suppose is getting the players to repect him and want to do well for him ... don't ever underestimate this quality in leaders it's worth its weight in gold when his men have to give the little bit extra that can make all the difference.

I would also say his calmness under pressure was a big plus ... similar actually to big Eck. Indeed Alex ability to transmit this calm confidence to the players won us the 2 last day SPLs while jack in the box o'squeel was only making his players nervous. So another big positive for Walter

low points - european results during 9iar (93 season apart), refusing to play Barry Ferguson in the 10iar season and his idiotic decision to say he was leaving in october of that year, which cost us 10iar. Still have no idea how we lost massive games at Ibrox in 12months (motherwell for 9 ) and Killie for the 10 in a row....

High points, 9 in a row, european run in 93, signing the likes of Albertz,Laudrup,Gazza. and despite what people think, playing some decent football during the 9iar. Brining Hateley back for the game at the piggery was a masterstroke.

Davie Weir's signing, having the balls to drop ferguson and mcgregor , knowing if we lost the title we would be fecked. UEFA cup final obvs....3 in a row....obvs :praise: and have to say... see'ing off so many celtic managers is the highlight for me.

Also his ability to scare the shit out of players with massive ego's.

weaknesses- too defensive tactic wise in 2nd spell. unwillingness to play youth(playing people out of position.

good points- great man manager, class and dignity always. loyalty(2way street) but above all he was a winner and winning is what he done for our club.

greatestest ever rangers manager even above mr struth imho

Weak points?

1. Europe,
  2. Should have won 10 in a row

Strong points?

1. Best man manager we have ever had.
  2. Best signing Souness ever made,
  3. UEFA Cup Final run -- with a side that probably had no business being anywhere close (ok, I said weak point was Europe.... this was THE exception)
  4. Kept us alive vs the banks imho,
  5. Gentleman,
  6. Class,
  7. Rangers Man,
  8. Tough as f*ck,
  9. Respected throughout the Football world,
  10. Took Scotland from +80 in the rankings to approx 14th in the world (That alone deserves a Knighthood),
  11. 3 in a row -- nae dough!
  12. Taking on Big Mixu @ Ibrox.
  13. etc

Weaknesses:

Failure to win 10 in a row

Some excruciating home performances, especially en route to Manchester

Overall poor record in Europe, with some howlers in amongst

Strengths

ABSOLUTELY the man you wanted to be the face of Rangers - always dignified & if he ever had a gripe, managed to express it without diminishing either his or the club's position

Getting 9 in a row

Getting 3 in a row with constraints of the period (but see excruciating above to temper that a bit!)

Getting to Manchester - so pleased to say I've seen thd Gers in a major euro final (even if it ended badly :( )

Weak Points:

Losing 10 IAR by 2 points and 2 goals.

Tactics in Europe.

Failure in Europe especially when we got humped by teams we should have beaten easily with the talent at our disposal.

Wouldn't sign my shirt; SIR Walter Smith when in Australia :D

Strong points in no particular order:

A proper gentleman

10 League Championships

5 Scottish Cups

6 Scottish League Cups

1 Uefa cup final

Brilliant man manager and motivator

Tough as nails

Dignity.

He told Chick Young he was a fucking idiot

He wisnae born a tim.

3 IAR when we as a club were in total turmoil.

Last season's title - under more pressure, turmoil and conflict than ever and still delivered when it mattered.

Smith is one of the very few entitled to be called a club legend.

Yes the last 2 titles have been so crucial for the club that they stand head and shoulders above all the rest

low points - european results during 9iar (93 season apart), refusing to play Barry Ferguson in the 10iar season and his idiotic decision to say he was leaving in october of that year, which cost us 10iar. Still have no idea how we lost massive games at Ibrox in 12months (motherwell for 9 ) and Killie for the 10 in a row....

High points, 9 in a row, european run in 93, signing the likes of Albertz,Laudrup,Gazza. and despite what people think, playing some decent football during the 9iar. Brining Hateley back for the game at the piggery was a masterstroke.

Davie Weir's signing, having the balls to drop ferguson and mcgregor , knowing if we lost the title we would be fecked. UEFA cup final obvs....3 in a row....obvs :praise: and have to say... see'ing off so many celtic managers is the highlight for me.

Also his ability to scare the shit out of players with massive ego's.

I have to say I don't think it was Walter's decisions either to go or to make it public because I remember just after it had been announced he got a seriously long standing ovation at the shareholders meeting when he got up to speak and his face was like thunder.

I think it was Murray's call because he didn't want the watching journalists at the meeting to report angry scenes after we had just exited 2 European trophies in quick succession (similar to this season actually).

Considering I was born in 1992 I have no opinions on his first spell at the Club.

On his second spell though :

Weak Points.

• His preference of playing certain players out of position instead of others.
  • Stubbornness of tactics, especially when we played Sellick in 2010/2011 and certainly in Europe.
  • The whole Kaunas debacle.
  • Not starting Novo against Zenit.

Strong Points and Highlights.

• Leading, and taking his own boyhood Club to a European final using the tactics he loved.
  • Three In a Row.
  • League Cup Final 2011, sticking it right to Lennin.
  • League Cup Final 2010, 9 men..Says it all.
  • His calmness.
  • As Oz said, abusing Chick Young .
  • Dignity.
  • Getting our Club through some of the hardest financial times we've ever witnessed.
  • Davie Weir.