4-2-3-1 for the future ?

McCoist72

After Lafferty went off and Fleck came on we went to a 4-2-3-1 with an attacking 3 of Aluko, Wallace and Fleck.

The link up play between the 3 and also with Healy worked well so should we go with this formation in the future with Davis and Edu as holding players?

It allowed Aluko and Wallace to get forward a lot more!!

Also, hopefully after today the minority of fans who aren't fans of mcCoist should get behind him!

Super Ally!!!

4-5-1, 4-4-2, 4-3-3... the number are irrelevant. It's the personel and style of play you choose to execute these formations that is more important. If you have players that can create and are all comfortable playing the ball on the deck it really doesn't matter

the central attacking midfielder is key because he has to link up and support the lone striker, I felt Fleck did that well today. I'm sure i'm not the only fan who didn't expect Fleck to be as impressive as he was.

Wallace and Aluko as advanced wingers looked as if they could cause most defences in this league a lot of problems!

why the fuck didnt we play like this a few weeks ago, why couldnt the management team see that we lacked movement, creativity, mobility etc,

todays performance was against the current 3rd best team in the SPL, and we didnt even give them a sniff, yet a couple of weeks ago we were played off the park 2 home games in a row against utter SPL dross

absolutely bemusing how we wait until we are behind in the league to produce arguably our best performance of the season in terms of controlling the game, dominating and the opposition we faced

the second goal today was nothing short of great football, and not a long punt in sight

i fully expect the rangers to produce these performances everyweek, or at least attempt to

Here's a quote from the man himself...

"When Kyle Lafferty went off it forced us to play the ball on the deck and I felt we did that very well."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20120102/off-and-running_2254024_2563863

In all honesty with the lack of height going forward bar Wallace we played the ball on the deck as we were forced to, as the manager has said.

We actually tried a few high balls until around 20 mins gone and it obviously wasn't working. The scary thing is to think of how things may have panned out with Lafferty still on the park in terms of our passing.

Lafferty being injured may have proved to be a blessing in disguise for the management team as surely today they have witnessed the kind of football we should be playing and also that we are capable of playing.

If we revert back to mindless long balls then a serious despair.

Personally, I've always liked 4-2-3-1 as it is pretty flexible and makes it much easier to link midfield and attack. There's no point in having 2 up front if they are completely isolated from a struggling midfield, as we have seen recently. It also allows you to use a player who is most comfortable behind a front man so it at least gives us a chance to integrate a player like Fleck - virtually impossible in a 4-4-2.

We have a number of players who could potentially succeed in the attacking 3, BUT we have very limited options up front. Healy doesn't have the pace or strength to do it well and if Lafferty is out for a while and Jelavic off, we need one, if not two strikers.

I think the benefit of it is the freedom of the front 4 due to the 2 holding midfielders, also stops players such as Edu getting forward as hes more likely to cause the attack to break down as his link up play is so poor.

I like the formation but at the end of the day we need to keep the ball on the deck and use players with better passing ability. Todays was a superb performance and good example of how good we can be with the right attitude, formation and players. Sadly it was forced....I do hope Ally will see what we can see and start a new era of passing football at Ibrox because I didnt want todays match to end.

I think today also showed that the players we have are good enough if used correctly. I do hope Fleck stays as only he and Bendiksen seem to be able to play that role in behind the striker. Fleck given a run could be some player. You just have to look at the passes he plays which cut that defense open today.

Flecks vision was great today, at first I feared for us when Lafferty went off injured because we had no goalscorers on the field who have proved themselves at Rangers yet the way we played was superb, proved by both wingers involved with the goals (although I think Wallace's was an own goal)