Tennent's Sixes

RangersMedia

Well, after reading loads of the STV lads on Twitter especially (@STVGrant going on about this all day I looked into it and watched a couple of videos on YouTube. It was before my time as it ended in 1993 and I was only 4 then so dont remember much :lol:. I really like the sound of a tournament like this, it could bring a form of excitement back the way that t20 Cricket has done for International Cricket. Short, fast-paced matches with a family atmosphere!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennents'_Sixes

Rules :

The rules of play evolved as the years progressed, and the following summary refers to the rules used during the final competition in 1993. Many were similar to indoor soccer in America, which in turn was developed with many influences, such as the use of a penalty box and making the pitch the same size as a NHL rink, from ice hockey.

• A specially constructed artificial field, measuring approximately 200 by 85 feet (61 × 26 m), with ice hockey-style boards topped with acrylic glass to a height of 7 ft (2.1 m) was used. Goals were set into the walls.
  • Squads consisted of up to 12 players, with no more than 6 on the field. Substitutions were unlimited and could be made at any time.
  • Matches were played in 2 halves of 7 minutes 30 seconds during the first round and 2 halves of 10 minutes during the knockout stages. At the end of all tied matches, even during the group phase, a penalty shoot-out would be held. A win on penalties in the group phase was worth 2 points as opposed to the 3 gained by winning after regulation time.
  • Matches were played in 2 halves of 7 minutes 30 seconds during the first round and 2 halves of 10 minutes during the knockout stages. At the end of all tied matches, even during the group phase, a penalty shoot-out would be held. A win on penalties in the group phase was worth 2 points as opposed to the 3 gained by winning after regulation time.
  • The goal area at each end was reserved for the sole use of the goalkeeper defending it. If an outfield player from the same team deliberately infringed on it a penalty kick would be awarded to the opposing team.
  • Goalkeepers could only hold on to the ball for six seconds. This was a particularly interesting situation as FIFA would later adopt this rule for conventional association football.
  • Teams were required to maintain a presence of at least 2 players in the opponents' half (1 player prior to 1991) or a penalty kick would be awarded to the opposing team.
  • Players shown the yellow card would be dispatched to the Sin Bin for 2 minutes. Aside from the normal offences, players could receive a yellow card for the Sixes-specific offence of deliberately kicking the ball over the perimeter wall to waste time.

Now, obviously changes could be made to the format with regards to length of matches or number of substitutions etc, but I think the base was there before and considering both Rangers & Celtic are sponsored by Tennent's we could maybe push for such a tournament to happen.

Danny Lennon gave his support to it today according to one of the STV guys on Twitter, can't remember who and even Rab Boyle and Andrew Dickson have been tweeting about it.

I'd say get rid of the League Cup that nobody gives a toss about anymore and introduce this tournament. Less matches in the season, a tournament fans might actually get excited about because you're going to see better technique and flair and a great way to hone some youth players technique and involving them in a competitive tournament.

What do you all think?

We defintely have to look at ways of making football in this country more appealing to fans, I would certainly be open to giving the Sixes a trial again and see what the reaction and quality is like. Wouldn't like to see it replace any of the existing trophies though, as it would essentially remove the possibility of achieving a respectable treble. Could maybe run it early in the season, only using u-23 players or something

So essentially this is just like the Masters league?

Just about, though as much as watching former players play is entertaining, it would be a change to watch members of the current squad to play in those sort of conditions.

Fast tempo, need a bit of skill to score, its obviously much more difficult.

It could even (at a stretch) be a pull factor into the league, obviously not for higher caliber players but it could make a move to Scotland more appealing.

A really good idea (tu)

Competitive 6 a side instead of the League cup? Can you imagine us playing the tramps when there's a trophy that's part of a possible treble up for grabs, on a smaller pitch. It'd be mental.

At hampden 50000 fans calling for the players to one-two with the wall. Sounds hilarious.

I used to like the Sixes. It was played around January when the weather was crap and was played over a couple of nights. We had a pretty good record in it. If there was ever a winter break I would be happy to see the Sixes brought back as a filler.

I used to find it funny that Hearts listed it in their programme as one of their major honours.