David Weir to call time on Rangers playing career

rangersxfc

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there at the age Davie was, even given how well he played in the SPL, people expected him to have nightmares in the CL and really struggle. Truth be told he sometimes looked our best player and put in many, many MOTM performances. He handled most of it with ease and some of his positioning was just brilliant.

I really can't say how much I think he has done for Rangers. Without the contribution of people like Walter and himself, I really do wonder if we would be anywhere near as strong a position as we find ourselves now. I also highly doubt we'd be anything near pushing for 4IAR. I actually shudder to think where we would be now compared to that lot if not for a certain few individuals in particular, Davie being up there as much as anyone.

I know people are saying that he was Walter's best signing of his second period in charge, however, taking into account the above, especially the second point, I'd put it that he was just as good a signing as Laudrup or Gazza and that it could be argued he has been an even more important one in some respects.

For the fact I think he is up there with the likes of Laudrup, I cannot possibly give a bigger Rangers related accolade than that.

Thank you for the amount you have contributed to Rangers in one of our most difficult times Davie, I wish you the best of luck for whatever you decide to do in football and beyond.

Only regret we should have signed him years ago while he was a Falkirk........ Thanks Davie

I said that many years ago mate, when Davie was a promising right back, of all things...but better late than never I guess.

Total legend both on and off the park for Rangers. :clap:

Part of me hopes were his last club.

41, not touched a ball in a competitive game for months - a return to a fast league such as England's lower reaches could turn out in disaster.

He is absolutely tailor-made for coaching. Just look at how good he made Bougherra and Cuellar as they'll admit themselves. He even talked big Lee through that position in a few games.

Part of me hopes were his last club.

41, not touched a ball in a competitive game for months - a return to a fast league such as England's lower reaches could turn out in disaster.

He is absolutely tailor-made for coaching. Just look at how good he made Bougherra and Cuellar as they'll admit themselves. He even talked big Lee through that position in a few games.

I think David Moyes would really like to get him in a coaching role.

dont like this idea of bringing him in on saturday to wave cheerio these things at ibrox useually go tits up, best just give him a voucher for primark and he can take the wife shopping

Oh dear. :anguish:

Two separate issues. Sir David should take his bow on Saturday - the most deserving goodbye (Walter aside) for many years. The players then need to do the business on the field.

Oh dear. :anguish:

Two separate issues. Sir David should take his bow on Saturday - the most deserving goodbye (Walter aside) for many years. The players then need to do the business on the field.

a great servant but just thinking of all the days when it was supposed to be party time and it sometimes goes skee-wiff