Rangers

Rangers' Ally McCoist angry that historic shares in Arsenal were sold

• 1910 link with Arsenal broken by Craig Whyte selling shares

• 'It's particularly sore for a Rangers supporter,' says McCoist

Ewan Murray

guardian.co.uk, Friday 24 February 2012 23.02 GMT

Article history

Ally McCoist, the Rangers manager

Ally McCoist, the Rangers manager, said that it was 'really sad' that the club's shares in Arsenal had been sold. Photograph: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images

Ally McCoist has hit out after it was revealed that historic shares held by Rangers in Arsenal were sold by Craig Whyte.

With Rangers in administration, negative stories about the regime presided over by Whyte as owner have emerged on a daily basis. The latest revelation centres on Whyte selling the Arsenal shares, which formed a link between the clubs dating back to 1910, for £230,000 to the Russian businessman Alisher Usmanov's Red & White Holdings. Those funds were not even paid into Rangers' own bank account.

Rangers came to Arsenal's aid during a financial crisis, buying two shares at the time. Twenty years later the London club handed Rangers 14 shares for free in gratitude for their help, cementing a relationship between the two clubs.

McCoist said: "I'm extremely disappointed in some of the things unfolding – not least the situation with the Arsenal shares. That's a particularly sore one for a Rangers supporter. I don't think me voicing any opinions at this moment in time – pointing fingers of blame or saying this, that or the other – is going to help anybody.

"With that in mind I'll keep my own counsel on my own views. But selling the Arsenal shares was a really sore one. Something like that is your history, your heritage. Not only that, it's a great story between the two football clubs. So that was really sad."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/24/rangers-ally-mccoist-shares-arsenal?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just amazed he could sell them without other people knowing about it.

Im scared of what else may come out Minstral.

We can argue all day and night about what SDM and co have done but this man is the cancer Rangers need rid of before the post mortem begins

Such a shame the old board recommended they be sold if you care to look over past AGM minutes.

C'mon now Adoniram , (as a good poster on RM ) . the old board ,for all their problems whilst in charge had nothing to with the little shit cw flogging the shares . Full blame is in his court , :anguish: ( hope cw gets major jail time loyal )