Ally McCoist defends aluko decision. and comments on the old firm game.

ALLY McCOIST defended his decision to axe fans' favourite Sone Aluko as Rangers slid to a 2-1 defeat at Dundee United.

btn-have-ur-say.png 0 commentGers boss McCoist handed teenager Andy Mitchell a shock start ahead of Aluko, who then climbed off the bench to score and spark a Gers fightback.

He insisted: "I felt Sone's form had dipped lately and I don't think you could argue that the team's set-up looked all right. I thought United scored with their first chance.

"Andy and Rhys McCabe behind him did really well on our right."

If Motherwell don't win at Kilmarnock on Saturday Rangers face the nightmare prospect of Celtic winning the title at Ibrox for the first time in 45 years.

This was stricken Rangers' third defeat in four games.

Now champions-elect Celts will go to Ibrox next weekend with the title almost in their grasp.

But despite having such a threadbare squad that he could manage only five players on the subs' bench yesterday, McCoist was bullish about the prospect of facing Neil Lennon's on-song outfit.

He said: "I've never been scared of an Old Firm game in my life and I'm not about to start now. We will hopefully have players back available who weren't there today and I believe we have a team that can win the game.

"I don't look at this in terms of being a setback going into the Old Firm game because I don't like us to lose any game.

"We had injuries and suspensions today but there's nothing that can be done about that. Dorin Goian and Carlos Bocanegra have about 140 caps between them and it will be good to have their experience back.

"In saying that, I thought that Lee McCulloch and Ross Perry did well against the threat of Jon Daly.

"We struggled to fill the bench today and I could've put other kids in there but why should I? They've got to earn the chance to be in the squad."

McCoist will meet with more prospective buyers of the club this week but insisted it wouldn't affect his Old Firm preparations.

He said: "I'll speak to prospective buyers but it won't affect us. I'd hope I'd be able to do both things because the future of the club is more important than any one game.

"We'll maybe go into the game as underdogs but I'm not sure that helps or hinders in this fixture."

my thoughts of ally being manager material evaporated when he never started Aluko,along with Davis our only class player,sorry but not manager material,gave him the benefit of the doubt,but his euro debacle,plus the Falkirk debacle[leaving out Jelavic and Naismith] sorry but self inficted ally..

"We struggled to fill the bench today and I could've put other kids in there but why should I? They've got to earn the chance to be in the squad."

If this isnt the right time to try these youngsters then thats a worry. Ally is showing more stubberness than faith imo.

The league is over ffs throw them in, it pisses me of they dont get a chance, they have to be protected blah blah blah, i dont recall it ever doing guys like Durrant and D Ferguson any harm.

If this isnt the right time to try these youngsters then thats a worry. Ally is showing more stubberness than faith imo.

The league is over ffs throw them in, it pisses me of they dont get a chance, they have to be protected blah blah blah, i dont recall it ever doing guys like Durrant and D Ferguson any harm.

experince over ability with ally just like it was with walter

lets be honest perry has came in and been solid when needed and even though goian has been shakey for months he still doesnt get a look in .

mccabe is only now getting a game because we have no other options , he hadnt even got 10-15 minutes in any spl match before being thrown in at the deep end last week .

mcmillan is gone and hutton and fleck are out on loan , we could really be doing with these guys the now

I agree with the sentiment of what Ally is saying, you obviously have to earn the right to be in a First Team squad at the likes of Rangers, however, did slightly wonder about the comment. Surely there have been at least a couple of young lads who are pushing on and showing effort in training who may have deserved a chance rather than leaving a couple of empty spaces on the bench.

Would have been a good wee confidence boost as well.

This part of his statement intrigues me. Does this not come down to good man-management.

After all Healy was on the bench when its apparent he will not get on the pitch.

Ally put out the best team available. It should still have been good enough to beat dundee hibs. What worries me before next week is the way he seems to have no plan b. If we go behind the heads go down, not what i expect from any rangers team. Even without all the off field struggles ally has not done anything to convince me of his ability to be a sucessful rangers manager

The main point for me was this.................

He said: "I'll speak to prospective buyers but it won't affect us. I'd hope I'd be able to do both things because the future of the club is more important than any one game.

<br style="text-align: left; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); line-height: 20px; font-size: 13px; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(28, 40, 55); ">

Why should Ally be running around doing this, even if it wasn't in the run up to a game against those open ass bhoys or anyone else. Get on the training pitch Ally morning and afternoon and try and come up with something positive in terms of a system and team selections.

The main point for me was this.................

Why should Ally be running around doing this, even if it wasn't in the run up to a game against those open ass bhoys or anyone else. Get on the training pitch Ally morning and afternoon and try and come up with something positive in terms of a system and team selections.

Durrant and Ferguson EARNED the right and Ally is correct - they have to EARN the right.

He felt Sone's form had dipped recently?

You could stick another 6 or 7 in that category Ally

But at least Aluko has the odd piece of game changing magic in his locker

Baffling

Agreed. I'm 100% in the Ally must be given more time camp but his observations on and rationale for leaving Aluko out are complete and utter bollocks. He got it wrong. Aluko should start.

Queue several hindsight managers to appear with wot ally shoodve dun

Exactly. How many people have been on here having a go McCoist for playing players when they were out of form and then when he does he gets slated for it.

Aluko was terrible against killie and hearts and did people miss Aluko fresh air kick outside our box that nearly lost us a goal yesterday!!!

Aye. We'll see how much he isn't scared when we see the team.

Ally is starting to say a lot more than he actually does.

aye the usual sit back with 1 up front. that was what cost us the last game at the piggery aside from the effort from wallace that was wrongly disallowed. too scared to have a go at them.

Durrant and Ferguson EARNED the right and Ally is correct - they have to EARN the right.

I think if Ally said snow was black you would back him over anyone who questioned it,however,none of us know who has "earned" a place through training ground performance so we have to trust his judgement on that.

As for Durrant and Ferguson; they came through at a time when we had a bunch of similarly low ability plodders playing for a rudderless club who struggled to challenge for trophies.

This season experienced players have been consistently found lacking and now should be the time to test how worthwhile our youth set up is because apart from embarrassment(which we have suffered already enough times this season) there is really nothing to lose and we just might find another gem.

i dont recall it ever doing guys like Durrant and D Ferguson any harm.

Mate, back in the day Derek Ferguson & Durranty were truly outstanding players........DF was destined to be world class (if he hadn't started believing it himself at a young age).

The kids Ally has at his disposal are nowhere near that standard. Not even remotely close to it.

The kids Ally has at his disposal are nowhere near that standard. Not even remotely close to it.

Fleck, McMillan, Perry, McCabe, Wylde all good enough to be given a chance while the no.1 choices were playing awful. Ally never took it because he values experience over talent and really has no clue how to bring youth in. Probably a trait he got from his mentor.

Rather have a manager who has actually played/managed outside Scotland to learn the game from a different perspective and learned something other than hit and hope long ball football. Sunderland doesn't count. :lol:

to single Aluko out after he has contributed more attacking wise than any other player we have since he signed is bizzare

to expect him to do it all himself all the time is not realistic

credit to mcoist for finding him but i cant believe he thought a youth team player would contribute more yesterday