Whyte: extra security

BAP1872

Rangers owner Craig Whyte says he has been warned by police over fears for his safety and has been taking 'extra precautions'.

Police believe the London-based businessman could be in danger of being targeted by disgruntled Gers fans for his part in the financial collapse of the administration-hit Ibrox club, whose future remains clouded in uncertainty.

Whyte said: "I have had security advice from the police.

"You would have to be living in a different planet to think that there is not an increased security risk for me.

"I have been briefed by police and have been taking extra precautions.

"I am not overly concerned. Most people are understanding of the situation.

"I have been demonised for problems at the club from years ago."

Administration

After being hailed as a hero when he took the ailing Ibrox club over from Sir David Murray last May for £1, Whyte became the villain when Rangers entered administration on February 14th over alleged non-payment of £9million in PAYE and VAT taxes.

It emerged that Whyte was able to fund his takeover by selling future season tickets to Ticketus, a partnership which ultimately raked in £30.5million and which left the investment firm a key player as administrators Duff and Phelps search for new owners.

Rangers are still waiting on the verdict from a tax tribunal relating to the use of employment benefit trusts to pay players and other staff before Whyte took over and which, if it goes against them, could leave them with a reported bill of £49million.

The Light Blues were deducted 10 points by the Scottish Premier League for entering administration, which effectively ended their title hopes.

Duff and Phelps have set a Wednesday deadline for interested parties but liquidation has been mooted as a possibility even in the event of a takeover.

Source

I think we need an overdue update from the Administrators! I'm beginning to feel uneasy again with whytes sudden reappearance and the fact BK's bid was thrown out. also, what happened to the "fifth" bid? the uk consortium that the papers couldn't name? they seem to have disappeared off the face of the planet!?!