Messi

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was in 2007, Barcelona weren't the all-conquering side they are now back then. They were a side who, under Rijkaard, were playing attacking Football - and we played to our strengths in that game by sitting back and soaking up pressure. Messi, far from tear into us, applauded our defensive efforts.

We developed the modern day defensive strategies in our Manchester Final run, teams took notice of it and perfected it - like Barcelona - and it even came back to haunt us (Kaunas). We got a lot more praise on the continent than we did in Scotland during that run.

Okay. Cheers mate.

That's incorrect.

England have some of the worst offenders in diving, I'll name Suarez, Gerrard, Drogba and Nani as four that come to mind immediately. Don't let the commentary on Sky and BBC fool you, England isn't just developing this diving culture, it's been about for years now.

I saw a tweet earlier that claimed that 54% of attempts to fool the referees in the Premier League this season were committed by English players, who make up less than 50% of the players in the league.

Lovely little statistic there.

2uy0qix.gif

What makes people think Messi's comments were taken out of context ? Did he come out and say it was himself ?

I find the original article on the Sport.es website.

He basically praised our ability to close down and said they would have to work hard at the Nou Camp if they were to beat our tactics.

It's the Scottish media, they'll do what they can to sensationalise things.

That's incorrect.

England have some of the worst offenders in diving, I'll name Suarez, Gerrard, Drogba and Nani as four that come to mind immediately. Don't let the commentary on Sky and BBC fool you, England isn't just developing this diving culture, it's been about for years now.

4 players in a whole league yet i was the one called up for "generalising"

how about:

the barcelona team

ronaldo

pepe

di maria

benzema

and thats just the top 2 teams.

wish people would stop being blinded. im not saying the EPL does not have a problem. but it has been a problem in spain for years before the EPL had the problem. in fact some could argue the epl problem started as the money teams spent started going towards european players.

I saw a tweet earlier that claimed that 54% of attempts to fool the referees in the Premier League this season were committed by English players, who make up less than 50% of the players in the league.

2uy0qix.gif

That gif, in a way, sums Liverpool up this season.

how about:

the barcelona team

ronaldo

pepe

di maria

benzema

wish people would stop being blinded. im not saying the EPL does not have a problem. but it has been a problem in spain for years before the EPL had the problem. in fact some could argue the epl problem started as the money teams spent started going towards european players.

Players have always dived. Not just European players either. Denis Law was a diver. Our own Davie Wilson brazenly admits that he used to dive so Johnny Hubbard could score the penalties.

Probably learned it off those continentals in the early days of the European Cup though, eh? :pipe:

how about:

the barcelona team

ronaldo

pepe

di maria

benzema

I named 4 off of the top of my head. Diving culture isn't exclusive to Spain, which you suggested previously. The EPL has had a problem with diving for a long, long time - but it's always been attributed to the foreign players in the league, when in fact one of their own - Gerrard - is the worst offender.

There are plenty of others who dive, most of them do it as a one off, but that doesn't make it less serious as someone who does it alot. James Perch, for example, won't be villainised for diving against Liverpool but Messi will. I don't remember Messi going head to head with someone and flooring himself for it, nor Pepe. Most of these guys feel contact and go down, they don't look solely to have an opposition player sent off, as was the intention of Perch.

I don't like diving, and it does embarrass me when I see it, but it is not, and never has been, more serious in Spain than it is in England. Pepe doesn't go down more than Drogba.

2uy0qix.gif

But if it wasn't for these continental types coming in with their fancy football, diving would never have made it to these shores.

I named 4 off of the top of my head. Diving culture isn't exclusive to Spain, which you suggested previously. The EPL has had a problem with diving for a long, long time - but it's always been attributed to the foreign players in the league, when in fact one of their own - Gerrard - is the worst offender.

There are plenty of others who dive, most of them do it as a one off, but that doesn't make it less serious as someone who does it alot. James Perch, for example, won't be villainised for diving against Liverpool but Messi will. I don't remember Messi going head to head with someone and flooring himself for it, nor Pepe. Most of these guys feel contact and go down, they don't look solely to have an opposition player sent off, as was the intention of Perch.

I don't like diving, and it does embarrass me when I see it, but it is not, and never has been, more serious in Spain than it is in England. Pepe doesn't go down more than Drogba.

i dont remember suggesting diving was a problem exclusive to Spain, so if i did i apologise. i agree with you that diving needs to be stamped out

however, i see so much more diving when watching la liga and in the champions league in general than i do when i watch english games. yes the english games get a lot more media coverage and i think they pick up on more dives than in europe, but that does not mean it is more of a problem. the number of dives that go unnoticed in la liga (either during or after the game) is crazy. in fact its often so common its barely mentioned.

anyway, i doubt we'll agree, but at least we both see diving as unacceptable. my question is, what would you like to see done to stamp it out?

anyway, i doubt we'll agree, but at least we both see diving as unacceptable. my question is, what would you like to see done to stamp it out?

If you see it, it should be a red card. None of this retrospective pish, let the referee have his decision over the game.

If you see it, it should be a red card. None of this retrospective pish, let the referee have his decision over the game.

i agree. i think after even one weekend of red cards left, right and centre it will reduce dramatically. i also agree that there should not be retrospective punishments. appeals yes. punishments no.