Pretty boy v Pac-man

I know there's a boxing thread but I feel this needs debated alone

The biggest fight my generation could witness and it's just not happening

Every person has their own view why it hasn't been made

Flloyd wanting random drug testing etc

Pacman saying he doesn't like needles

Both fighters wanting the majority of money

Etc etc

Just recently we have had one of the sports greatest in sugar ray Leonard say it needs to happen , forget money, it's about legacy " no money could buy that "

One of the greatest trainers the world has seen in manny steward says the same

Aswell as every fan, journalist , trainer or promoter

Except Bob Arum

This guy for me is the one holding out

He gets a ridiculous % of cash from every PAC-MAN fight, something like 23%

He says he wants the fight to " mature" over the hrs to make it bigger

For me people are forgetting about it now as most think it won't happen

Last yr was the time to make it happen before manny fought Marquez

Sadly I think we won't witness who is really the best of our generation

The drug testing isnt an issue anymore.

the fight would have happened on May 5th if Floyd agreed to a 50/50 split. he demanded the lions share & Arum laughed in his face. So hes fighting cotto now, and will take the Lions Share of the revenue there.

In a recent TV interview in the US, the interviewer was givin Floyd alot of heat over his attitude, as everyone agrees that if any fight should be 50/50, its this one - so he starts to push floyd on the issue, claiming he needs to fight Pac to cement his own legacy (much like the point Sugar was making). Interestingly, Floyd completely overlooked the money issue and began to talk about his long term health - he started to mention that Ali gave the fans what they wanted and paid the price, and he won't be sucked into that...

very strange, im not sure why he went down that line when the interviewer was clearly asking him about the money issue, but he came across as if he is scared Pac will permanantly damage his long term health.

Except Bob Arum

This guy for me is the one holding out

He gets a ridiculous % of cash from every PAC-MAN fight, something like 23%

also, whilst Arum isn't helping matters, it's unfair to say he gets "a ridiculous %". His company Top Rank promote Pacquiao, they signed him up and have a contract with him. Thye cover all the expenses of promoting the fight.

How it usually works is Pacquiao will have a contract for x amount of fights, or, for a certain time period (his contract with Top Rank runs out 2013 actually).

He'll also get a contract from Top Rank for each fight. His last fight against JMM, his contract stated he would get a flat fee of $20m, or, a % of PPV sales if that figure is larger than $20m. So in effect he's guarenteed at least 20m even if the PPV fell well short of expected sales. It sold well over 1m though, so im no idea how much he made in the end.

Also, Floyd Mayweather was under contract with Arum aswell, he was a top rank fighter before he faught Oscar. He became the huge star he is afterwards and simply set up his own promotion company. This is pretty rare though, not many fighters have the resources or a big enough name to do so. AMir Khan lost alot of money trying it and is signedu p with Golden Boy promotions.

So in 2013 Manny could break away from Top Rank, but i dont think he cares enough to do so, i think he's happy letting TR take care of business and he can get on with boxing & politics.

The drug testing isnt an issue anymore.

the fight would have happened on May 5th if Floyd agreed to a 50/50 split. he demanded the lions share & Arum laughed in his face. So hes fighting cotto now, and will take the Lions Share of the revenue there.

In a recent TV interview in the US, the interviewer was givin Floyd alot of heat over his attitude, as everyone agrees that if any fight should be 50/50, its this one - so he starts to push floyd on the issue, claiming he needs to fight Pac to cement his own legacy (much like the point Sugar was making). Interestingly, Floyd completely overlooked the money issue and began to talk about his long term health - he started to mention that Ali gave the fans what they wanted and paid the price, and he won't be sucked into that...

very strange, im not sure why he went down that line when the interviewer was clearly asking him about the money issue, but he came across as if he is scared Pac will permanantly damage his long term health.

Is that true about the drug testing being agreed to and then Floyd moving the goalposts on money? Really just don't know what to believe with the spin and politics played in boxing these days, is a fucking pantomime!

Has dragged on so long, that doubt it will happen...then again if everyone took that attitude and just ignored the whole saga it would probably force them in to the ring to get everyone's attention (and money) again!

Manny can't/couldn't break down JMM's defence, what makes you think he can do it to Mayweather?

Different defence, and I think against such a speedy and powerful southpaw, FM will toil.

Could be totally wrong, and would love the fight to go ahead just to see.

Different defence, and I think against such a speedy and powerful southpaw, FM will toil.

Could be totally wrong, and would love the fight to go ahead just to see.

Same here I would love to see the fight, boxing needs to make this fight happen but Arum is twat of the highest order.

You could be right, the only weak link I see is the way FM hold his defence a speedy southpaw is/has been his kryptonite.

Same here I would love to see the fight, boxing needs to make this fight happen but Arum is twat of the highest order.

You could be right, the only weak link I see is the way FM hold his defence a speedy southpaw is/has been his kryptonite.

I know it's a slightly unfair comparison, but look at the fights both had against Hatton. Pac mauled him while Ricky could, just maybe, have taken Floyd on another day.

Flloyd doesn't give his cash to any promoter so why should manny do the same

This fight doesn't need promoted now

i already explained it, Manny is contracted to Top Rank until 2013.

promotion companies take care of all srots of stuff, from the lawyers, contracts, tv rights, advertising costs etc...

Manny could leave top rank in january 2013 and promote his own fights, but with all the hassle that would entail in setting up a promotion company, hiring his own lawyers etc... he might not other and simply sign a 12 month extension with Arum. Afterall, he is a Congressman of the Phillipines, his schedule is pretty choked.

Is that true about the drug testing being agreed to and then Floyd moving the goalposts on money? Really just don't know what to believe with the spin and politics played in boxing these days, is a fucking pantomime!

Has dragged on so long, that doubt it will happen...then again if everyone took that attitude and just ignored the whole saga it would probably force them in to the ring to get everyone's attention (and money) again!

originally FMJ say he wanted olympic drug testing - Pac said, you dont mkake the rules, i'll fight you nuder the commissions rules.

FMJ then said Blood testing with a 14 day cut off period, or no deal. (meaning blood can only be taken 14-days before or earlier, and then again right after the fight).

Pacquaio agreed to this - but then FMJ changed his mind, saying that Blood could be drawn right up until the day of the fight. Pacquiao eventually agreed.

In the most recent negotiatons, FMJ ws sented to 90 days in jail on the 6th of january 2012.

So he booked the MGM grand in Vegas for a fight on May the 5th, and got his lawyers to argue the sentence should be put back until june, because his fight will be worth too much to the Vegas economy - the judge agreed and his jail sentence will begin in june.

So FMJ came to the negotiating table with Pac having already booked the fight venue 7 date. As if that wasnt enough, he demanded the lions share.

He made an offer to Pacquiao of a flat-fee of $40m, meaning Floyd pays him that directly from his own company up front, then Floyd keeps 100% of whatever the fight grosses. Pacquiao told him to speak to Arum as he is contracted to them.

now in a fight thats expected to gross over $200m, who would accept that offer? Nobody.

FMJ keeps shifting the goal posts because he doesnt want to lose his '0'.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1084584-mayweather-vs-pacquiao-floyd-foolish-to-refuse-50-50-split-with-pac-man

I know it's a slightly unfair comparison, but look at the fights both had against Hatton. Pac mauled him while Ricky could, just maybe, have taken Floyd on another day.

Definitely a unfair comparison, Hatton was shot when fighting Manny. Hatton looked terrible.

I think FM will school Manny, it will take Floyd 3 rounds to figure Manny out and then it will be a procession. Manny didn't look to good in his last fight either. If the fight doesn't happen this year I don't think it ever will.

How do you see the fight going? FM or Manny?

Definitely a unfair comparison, Hatton was shot when fighting Manny. Hatton looked terrible.

I think FM will school Manny, it will take Floyd 3 rounds to figure Manny out and then it will be a procession. Manny didn't look to good in his last fight either. If the fight doesn't happen this year I don't think it ever will.

Heart says Pac. Head says it'll be up to whoever has prepped best. If Pac isn't 100% going into it, Floyd will do him.

Heart says Pac. Head says it'll be up to whoever has prepped best. If Pac isn't 100% going into it, Floyd will do him.

What annoys me is FM's cowardliness, he keeps moving the goal posts because he is scared of losing his '0' and if he is scared, he most think Manny has a very good chance.

What annoys me is FM's cowardliness, he keeps moving the goal posts because he is scared of losing his '0' and if he is scared, he most think Manny has a very good chance.

Agreed on both counts.

I remember thinking at the time that the blood/drug tests thing was a load of shite from the FM camp to dodge a fight.

:lol:

Shot, thats a funny way to describe an active world champion with a record of 45 & 1. The fight was also in Hattons native weight class of 140lb, in which he had never lost a fight, and Pacquiao disposed of him in less than 6 minutes.

If anything it was a fairer fight than FMJ - Floyd faught him in a weight class above. You would expect a light-middleweight world champion to defeat a light-welterweight.

I notice the OP mentioned Sugar Ray as a shining example but he did his fair share of 'timing' fights just right, just as Floyd does these days.

I don't see what is left to discuss about the sorry mess that is Pac/Mayweather. I believe it will happen, but it is already too late for it to be the great fight it could have been.

At this stage, I reckon Cotto has as much chance of taking rounds off Floyd as Pacquiao.

floyd needs to man up and do 50/50 split here.I really wouldent like to put a bet on this fight too tough to call,although floyd has looked better than manny in there last few fights.Manny destroyed delahoya and hatton mayweather had hard work with both of them.

Would be very good fight hope it happens.

:lol:

Shot, thats a funny way to describe an active world champion with a record of 45 & 1. The fight was also in Hattons native weight class of 140lb, in which he had never lost a fight, and Pacquiao disposed of him in less than 6 minutes.

If anything it was a fairer fight than FMJ - Floyd faught him in a weight class above. You would expect a light-middleweight world champion to defeat a light-welterweight.

I mean mentally, Hatton looked very anxious that night. It was probably down to a bad training camp .

Is there any coincidence that since flloyd mentioned steroids , pacman has looked a shadow of the boxer that destroyed hatton, ODH and cotto ?

He was destroying seasoned welterweights and light middleweights

Now he is struggling to get through unscathed

Is there any coincidence that since flloyd mentioned steroids , pacman has looked a shadow of the boxer that destroyed hatton, ODH and cotto ?

He was destroying seasoned welterweights and light middleweights

Now he is struggling to get through unscathed

huh? Floyd accused Manny of using roids after he defeated Cotto.

since then, he scored a shut-out one sided victory over Clottey, beat the living hell out of margarito, & scored a shut-out over Mosley.

he only fight he "struggled" with was MArquez, which was no surprised considering they had already faught twice, both of which where close as hell, the 3rd was no different.

Clottey was a sitting duck who hardly threw a punch and covered up all fight behind his guard

He still marked up mannys face

If he can destroy cotto the way he did , but struggle to do the same to margarito then tell me why ?

Especially cotto beating margarito ( without dodgy handwraps)