Is la liga the best league in Europe?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. There isn't even a question now.

The main debate people had against it was that, outwith the top two, La Liga lacked strength. Bilbao have gone a long way to disprove this theory, and I'm glad - but you'll still get Redknapp, Neville, Souness, etc. saying that the Premier League is the best in the world based on... Chelsea being in the Champions League semi's?

What I find remarkable is that even though the big 2 keep all their own television money the quality right down the league is excellent.

I suppose the big difference between Spain and England is that the clubs over there produce a lot of their own players and so don't need to go out and buy a whole team 1 to 11

nah premiership is - theyve just been poorly represented in europe this season.

remember not so long ago, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal & MU where making the last 8 of the CL with ease.

the resources are also far greater than any league in the world.

Chelsea & Man City are owned by billionaires who have infinite amount of money to splash around - in spain only real madrid can compete with that as the yare owned by a combination of the bank/royal family. Man U are on a par with Barca revenue/resources wise.

after that you got Liverpool, Arsenal, & Spurs who are bigger clubs than the likes of Valencia/Atlt Madrid/Sevilla/Bilbao

the next level down is Newcastle, Everton, Stoke, Bolton, Aston Villa etc, which are bigger clubs with bigger stadiums and greater resources than the likes of Sporting gijon, Osasuna...

Right now the Spanish are pioneering a change in football, they are leading the way with modern tactics, high pressing up the pitch, and possession retainment, so much so that Bilbao done to Man U what Barca did to them in the CL final. From that point of view its a fair opinion to say the spanish are ahead of the EPL right now (also with the fact Barca/Madrid are a distance ahead of any other club side ATM).

But the fact is, the EPL has bigger clubs right through. Vallecano for instance only has 3 stands... you'd need to go to League 2 level to find a club of that size in England.

it will only be a matter fo time until the english dominate again, bigger clubs, bigger stadiums, far greater attendances across the board, far greater resources, billions being pumped into the league, far better revenue from TV, sponsorship deals, far greater interest globally than any other league...

Just look at Barcelona, their game vs AC Milan earlier this week.

Valdes, Alves, Pique, Cesc Fabregas, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Mascherano, Busquets, Cuenca

Bold are all homegrown graduates from La Masia, (albeit Pique and Fabregas spent time from 16 or so at English clubs.)

It really does make a big difference if you only have to bring in a few players to top up what you already have ... indeed our best run in Europe was with a team basically made up of Scots

But the fact is, the EPL has bigger clubs right through. Vallecano for instance only has 3 stands... you'd need to go to League 2 level to find a club of that size in England.

Not to disagree with the other points, but didn't Blackpool only have three stands?

The top two teams in La Liga are miles ahead of everyone in Europe right now, save Bayern. I'd take Ligue 1 (now that the Lyon head has been removed) or the Bundesliga as the most entertaining from a results standpoint. Serie A has improved remarkably in terms of entertainment quality this year, but their grounds are still empty.

Still probably watch more EPL than any other league, though, just because it's a lot easier to access. Although the ESPN3 app gives one access to loads of matches from Italy, Germany, Holland, and more. I could watch football for 48 hours straight on the weekends with that.

Not to disagree with the other points, but didn't Blackpool only have three stands?

The top two teams in La Liga are miles ahead of everyone in Europe right now, save Bayern. I'd take Ligue 1 (now that the Lyon head has been removed) or the Bundesliga as the most entertaining from a results standpoint. Serie A has improved remarkably in terms of entertainment quality this year, but their grounds are still empty.

Still probably watch more EPL than any other league, though, just because it's a lot easier to access. Although the ESPN3 app gives one access to loads of matches from Italy, Germany, Holland, and more. I could watch football for 48 hours straight on the weekends with that.

im not sure actually, i dont think so though.

thats a rare case right enough, occasionally small clubs will go on these fairytale stories and get to the EPL, but for the most part, the majority of EPL teams fill 40,000+ stadiums per week.

the average attendance for all EPL teams this season so far is 35'000 (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance/_/league/eng.1/barclays-premier-league?cc=5739)

the average attendance in La Liga is 30,000 (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance/_/league/esp.1/spanish-primera-division?cc=5739) but that is hugely boosted by obscene attendances figures by Barca/Real. if you remove them, the figure drops drastically. 7 clubs have an average attendance of under 18k, the prem only has 1, and they could easily find themseves replaced by west ham, who are a much bigger club than QPR.

13 Villarreal 17,800

14 Osasuna 16,999

15 Granada 15,821

16 Levante 15,530

17 Mallorca 14,800

18 Racing Santander 14,060

19 Rayo Vallecano 12,088

20 Getafe 11,000

20 Queens Park Rangers 17,232

Nah mate, like I said, not disagreeing. But I think they closed their ground with the EPL cash. They had at least one temporary stand I know.

In defense of Blackpool, I wouldn't call them a Cinderella. They're one of the best run clubs in Ingerland, along with West Brom and Arsenal. Family owned, turn profits, didn't blow their salary out of whack like Wolves have. I'd love to see them get back and stick this time.

im not sure actually, i dont think so though.

thats a rare case right enough, occasionally small clubs will go on these fairytale stories and get to the EPL, but for the most part, the majority of EPL teams fill 40,000+ stadiums per week.

the average attendance for all EPL teams this season so far is 35'000 (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance/_/league/eng.1/barclays-premier-league?cc=5739)

the average attendance in La Liga is 30,000 (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance/_/league/esp.1/spanish-primera-division?cc=5739) but that is hugely boosted by obscene attendances figures by Barca/Real. if you remove them, the figure drops drastically. 7 clubs have an average attendance of under 18k, the prem only has 1, and they could easily find themseves replaced by west ham, who are a much bigger club than QPR.

13 Villarreal 17,800

14 Osasuna 16,999

15 Granada 15,821

16 Levante 15,530

17 Mallorca 14,800

18 Racing Santander 14,060

19 Rayo Vallecano 12,088

20 Getafe 11,000

20 Queens Park Rangers 17,232

Surely the football is played on the pitch though and Spain have won the World Cup and European Championship because they are producing so many good players

Personally, I don't have a choice for the best league in the world. But if you asked me to sum up these leagues in one word then it would be..

La Liga - Technical

Premiership - Physical

Serie A - Tactical

Bundesliga - Competitive

Surely the football is played on the pitch though and Spain have won the World Cup and European Championship because they are producing so many good players

indeed, but were talking about the league currently, not the countrys youth system. Many of that spain squad are confined to Real/Barca, which isnt a reflection of the league as whole, and you also have the likes of torres/silva/mata in the EPL.

imo, the average stadium in the EPL is better than the averag la liga stadium. The average ref is better. the average attendance is better. the average sponsorship deal is worth more. the tv revenue is greater.

perhaps right now the overall quality of footy on the pitch is slightly better, and european form would certainly suggest that as its dominated by spanish sides atm, but it's just a phase imo. The gulf between the EPL and all the other leagues will only enlargen imo as more and more money gets pumped into it.

people often say Man City have a better squad than anyone else, but can the field an XI as good as Barcas? For me thats a little like the comparison between the EPL and La Liga.

The average ref is better.

Whoa, now. Spain have full-time professional refs paid at a much much higher level than those in England. A linesman in La Liga makes more than head ref in the EPL.

England and Scotland lag far behind Europe in terms of quality of officiating and compensation for the men doing the job. No wonder they're abused so frequently and quick to leave the job.

Whoa, now. Spain have full-time professional refs paid at a much much higher level than those in England. A linesman in La Liga makes more than head ref in the EPL.

England and Scotland lag far behind Europe in terms of quality of officiating and compensation for the men doing the job. No wonder they're abused so frequently and quick to leave the job.

negative. as someone who watches nearly every game skysports show in both the EPL & La Liga i can confirm that the level of officiating in England is miles better than in spain.

negative. as someone who watches nearly every game skysports show in both the EPL & La Liga i can confirm that the level of officiating in England is miles better than in spain.

I'll respectfully disagree and leave it there. Too late and too much alcohol hh.gif

00000042.gif

My opinion is technically Spain is miles ahead of the rest of Europe maybe even the world dont see enough football from the rest of the world to comment however in terms of excitement in the league I like the Championship there is so little between the teams there from first to about sixteenth can reguarly take points from each other and have a decent chance of winning promotion at the start of.the season.

indeed, but were talking about the league currently, not the countrys youth system. Many of that spain squad are confined to Real/Barca, which isnt a reflection of the league as whole, and you also have the likes of torres/silva/mata in the EPL.

imo, the average stadium in the EPL is better than the averag la liga stadium. The average ref is better. the average attendance is better. the average sponsorship deal is worth more. the tv revenue is greater.

perhaps right now the overall quality of footy on the pitch is slightly better, and european form would certainly suggest that as its dominated by spanish sides atm, but it's just a phase imo. The gulf between the EPL and all the other leagues will only enlargen imo as more and more money gets pumped into it.

people often say Man City have a better squad than anyone else, but can the field an XI as good as Barcas? For me thats a little like the comparison between the EPL and La Liga.

I think if England could produce more good players there would be no touching the EPL because it would boost the middle part of the league that the Europa Cup teams are drawn from