Rangers Bidders: We Don't Need The Mainstream Media

Rangers Bidders: We Don't Need The Mainstream Media

[imgleft]http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k494/DarcheVinny/wv65rangersvhearts_200_200.jpg[/imgleft]Throughout the past few weeks and months, we have seen a huge shift in the traditional media avenues used by the potential new owners of The Rangers Football Club.

It's about time.

For years we have had to endure terrible, sensational and infactual news reporting, through the famous Scottish red tops, Radio Phone-ins and TV.

A certain Channel 4 journalist has been causing a bit of fuss in and around Glasgow and has rightly criticised the 'succulent lamb' culture that has existed in Glasgow for too long.

When once newspapers were bringing the public actual news, now they will write anything that can sell. The online revolution has hit the mainstream media where it hurts, in the pocket. So as sales and viewing figures dwindle, rather than improving content, the mainstream media took a sensationalist direction.

As Rangers fans, we have suffered for it. I was as fully supportive of Craig Whyte as any other who was duped, believing what I wanted to read and hear about the 'billionaire' we all craved for. David Murray's smoke and mirrors technique also contributed to all of us accepting everything being rosy on the surface, whilst finances were actually spinning out of control.

Since administration, there has been the start of what I hope will be, a complete overhaul in the media outlets used by Rangers and those connected to the club.

Paul Murray and his Blue Knights, got in with the RST/RSA, who are heavily linked to FollowFollow. This has seen snippets of information come out of The Blue Knights camp, through FollowFollow, before the media have had a chance to put their twist and spin on it.

Brian Kennedy's top media man, Dave Swanton, also found an avenue to directly connect with the support, by posting a thread on FollowFollow and using his personal twitter account. 'BK' is a man that fully understands the need to be up front with supporters and found a way to directly connect with the Rangers support.

Bill Ng's Singaporean bidders have been in contact with Frankie from GersNet and information has been shared by GersNet through their forum and twitter account.

What does this show? That the Scottish mainstream media can not be trusted to report anything fairly or honestly, without twisting and fabricating a story to shift as many copies, or attract as many - ultimately disappointed - viewers and listeners as possible. And the current bidders know that.

Now although no bidder has not used RangersMedia directly to connect with the support, it matters not to me. As soon as any information lands on another forum, website or twitter, it reaches our own forum within minutes, much faster than any newspaper can be printed!

Gordon Smith was happy to be interviewed by ourselves recently, so he could directly share with the Rangers support, what had been twisted already by the mainstream media.

It is exciting to see such a shift in direction from those connected to Rangers. I can only hope the club under new ownership decides to follow suit in the near future, with any exclusives that come out of the backdoor, coming through avenues within the online Rangers community.

The Scottish red tops in particular, are the dinosaurs in the room and it is evident that they are quickly becoming extinct. I couldn't tell you when I last bought one. I don't need to.

Why buy and read a newspaper, when you can read what's on RangersMedia and elsewhere?

Why listen to a radio phone-in, when you can listen to We Are The People Podcast?

We don't need the mainstream media. The Rangers bidders know it, I know it and you know it.

There is room for ALL types of media, and the greater the range of information, the easier it is to make an informed judgement on any topic.

Those who call for blanket boycotts do so because they want people only to believe what they tell them.

Good article. Agree with most points, however the wider Rangers audience will not be members of any forum, and instead use the phone ins and the rhags for their news. Imo, we could do with an exclusive contract with a one rhag, so all interviews etc are done with the one source. Keep your friends close and all that.

And I laughed at the wee shameless plug of your podcast, very subtle indeed :)

I agree and although I have stopped buying the papers, I still read the relevants bits online usually what someone has posted. I used to buy the sun and DR everyday and if there was an interesting article in the E Times I would buy that as well. I stumbled across RM while trying to find out more info when the Takeover was first rumoured to be happening and after checking out a few sites decided that RM was the one foe me.Since then I haven't bought a newspaper, haven't felt the need thanks to the informed and sometimes well less informed RM'ers!

party0012.gif

There is room for ALL types of media, and the greater the range of information, the easier it is to make an informed judgement on any topic.

Those who call for blanket boycotts do so because they want people only to believe what they tell them.

I disagree. With so Nant papers trying to claim that massive story, or being given a snippet of info and putting their own spin on it, I find it harder to sift amongst the shite and hearsay for facts.

If Rangers used one source in which they could agree that all official media news, interviews etc were done with them, then ur would be easier ti believe the stuff they print.

I disagree. With so Nant papers trying to claim that massive story, or being given a snippet of info and putting their own spin on it, I find it harder to sift amongst the shite and hearsay for facts.

If Rangers used one source in which they could agree that all official media news, interviews etc were done with them, then ur would be easier ti believe the stuff they print.

How about using Pravda?

Good article. Agree with most points, however the wider Rangers audience will not be members of any forum, and instead use the phone ins and the rhags for their news. Imo, we could do with an exclusive contract with a one rhag, so all interviews etc are done with the one source. Keep your friends close and all that.

And I laughed at the wee shameless plug of your podcast, very subtle indeed :)

Something I completely overlooked and links very well to Casey's post above.

I think I wouldn't be far off in saying that the online community won't even make up a third of the whole support, but it is the most vocal and involved. That figure will only increase in the next few years and beyond.

I havnt bought a daily newspaper for a long time for this reason.

I rely on RM for my Rangers info,i do allow the wife to buy the Sun

on a saturday she gets the tv mag i get the horse racing pullout. :happy:

P.S regular contributors like DV tell it as it is :praise:

I'm the same, I haven't bought a redtop in years.

The sports media up here are repugnant. They suckled on Murray till he lurched into the darkness, Murray wouldn't defend the Rangers either but once he'd gone it was open season on us.

Traynor wishing our support had been battered in Osasuna, Keevins proclaiming we're nazis, they'd sell their granny for a story but don't have the guile or intelligence to actually do their job and prefer to make stories rather than investigate them.

They should have asked questions 12 years ago, we should have too but these people are paid to report news.

What turned it for me, strangely enough it was a scotland game. It was in the redtops building up to Burley's first game as manager. Traynor, dung etc reporting that the squad had fallen out.

Listening to BBC Scotland radio for the Macedonia game they were like slavering hounds, the knives were out before he'd had his first game and I thought it despicable. Similar to the treatment of Ferguson and McGregor

I stopped buying papers years ago but used to browse the online record, times, herald etc but niw I have kicked that into touch and get my info on here.

I like the phone in which is normaly real radio but I boycotted it the week Harston was on it due to his IRA shite and I still cant understand why any Rangers fan gives that prick the light of day.

Ach the only trouble with getting all your rangers information from 'friendly' sources is that you don't see any real discern ting voices and being to insular in our approach also carries danger !

Not if its the Bears Den!!

The amount of "fans" who post about Radio Snyde,Hartsons column in the Sun,etc.,lets us know the enemy.

Get all I need to know from RM :uk:

all the bidders have talked to newspapers. tbk and miller at least have given newspapers exclusives. possibly.ng as well. certainly if you include foreign press.

Of couse they have, but we haven't seen them use the online community in this way before.

It was part of the reason why I was so keen to see more from BK, as he really respects his fanbase at sale and Dave Swanton's door is always open.

I'd disagree with the thrust actually.

While most of the bids have used well-placed fans to disseminate information, there's no doubt that's just for introductory pieces. Generally, they'll have to use the media eventually and TBK have been particularly busy in their use of the Scottish press.