Amendments to SPL rules

Financial Fair Play

On 30 April 2012 the SPL Clubs will consider a range of proposals to amend the Articles and Rules of the SPL. A brief description of the effect of adopting the Resolutions is provided below.

Resolution 1 proposes an increase in the sporting sanction (points deduction) on any Club which suffers or is subject to an Insolvency Event from 10 points to the greater of 15 points and 1/3 of the Club’s SPL points in the preceding season.

Resolution 2A proposes further sporting sanctions in the event that any Club undergoes an Insolvency Transfer Event (i.e. transfers its share in the SPL to a new company where this occurs because of the insolvency of the transferor) of 10 points in each of two consecutive seasons from the Insolvency Transfer Event.

Resolution 2B proposes revisions to the fee payment arrangements i.e. SPL fees to any Club which has undergone an Insolvency Transfer Event will be reduced by 75% in each of three consecutive seasons from the Insolvency Transfer Event.

Resolution 3 proposes extending sporting sanctions where an Insolvency Event is suffered by a Group Undertaking of a Member Club of the SPL (Group Undertaking is defined in Section 1161(5) of the Companies Act 2006).

Resolution 4 proposes updates and extensions to the definition of Insolvency Event in the SPL Rules.

Resolution 5 proposes updates and extensions to the definition of Insolvency Event in the SPL Articles and clarifies the process in the event that a Member which is the subject of an Insolvency Event is required to transfer its share in the Company.

Resolution 6 proposes a specific requirement in the SPL Rules that Clubs must pay their Players in terms of their Contracts of Service on due dates and places a duty on any Club to report any failure to pay its Players in a timely manner to the SPL. Failure to pay Players and / or to notify such failure to the SPL would be a breach of SPL Rules.

Resolution 7 proposes a requirement in the SPL Rules that Clubs report to the SPL any failure to make payments to HMRC in respect of PAYE and NIC (a Default Event). Any Club suffering such a Default Event will be subject to a Player Registration Embargo. Any failure to report a Default Event shall be a breach of the SPL Rules.

Resolutions 2B and 5 require the support of a minimum of 11 Clubs to be adopted; all other Resolutions require the support of a minimum of 8 Clubs to be adopted.

If adopted the amendments to the Articles and Rules will have effect from and including 14 May 2012 (the day after the last day of Season 2011/2012).

No further comment will be made in respect of these proposals until after the General Meeting on 30 April at which they will be considered by the Clubs.

Clearly as a result of us.

Looks like Newco = -10 points for the next two seasons.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In just glancing over that, am I right in basically saying that it seems to say, if you suffer financial problems, we're going to basically make it even harder for you to get back on your feet. A little bizarre. Can understand it somewhat if it is from a situation like ours where we have simply had terrible mismanagement, but it seems pretty fucking hard on any club who simply fall on hard times. As the OP says, seems geared to fuck us over, maybe neglecting long term when other less prominant sides might suffer similar problems

I don't get 2B. They'll reduce payments by 75% for 3 years? How's that going to help any club who go bust and will clearly have financial problems once out of admin?

I know it won't but fuck me that's just a daft idea.

10 point deduction for the next two seasons.

75% reduction in TV income for three seasons.

No Euro football for three seasons.

All to be applicable from the 14th May, the day after the last games in this season SPL.

Mark my words, we will liquidate after the 13th May 2012, emerge as a Newco and have the above sanctions placed on us in order to be part of SPL 2012-13.

I don't get 2B. They'll reduce payments by 75% for 3 years? How's that going to help any club who go bust and will clearly have financial problems once out of admin?

Mate, its not designed to help a club in this scenario, it designed to stop liquidation being an easy way out for SPL clubs.

Exactly. It's like failing to pay your mortgage one month, and then the bank saying 'well we've upped your next three years payments by 75%'.

Would these come into effect immediately? Do they need an 11-1 vote to go through? If we're not out of admin by the end of this season, can we be deducted 1/3 of our points from this season at the start of next?

Grant Russell ‏ @STVGrant

Clear then that proposed SPL rule changes set clear sanctions for possible Rangers newco, whether it happens before May 14 or not.

In terms of a newco, we're fucked irrespective of when that would ever happen.

10 point deduction for the next two seasons.

75% reduction in TV income for three seasons.

No Euro football for three seasons.

All to be applicable from the 14th May, the day after the last games in this season SPL.

Mark my words, we will liquidate after the 13th May 2012, emerge as a Newco and have the above sanctions placed on us in order to be part of SPL 2012-13.

You missed out this bit.

Resolution 1 proposes an increase in the sporting sanction (points deduction) on any Club which suffers or is subject to an Insolvency Event from 10 points to the greater of 15 points and 1/3 of the Club’s SPL points in the preceding season.

Which would make it 15pts, and (at present) minus another 21.

Not sure about that, is this more about clubs who go in to Administration?

Under the SPL's new proposals, clubs who enter administration would be docked at least 15 points instead of the current penalty of 10.

If passed, clubs who suffer an insolvency event would invoke a penalty of the greater of 15 points or a third of the their total of points from the previous season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17681268

My bad, so it'd be at least a 21 point penalty.

ed: No it wouldn't, BBC have misread this.

Resolution 1 proposes an increase in the sporting sanction (points deduction) on any Club which suffers or is subject to an Insolvency Event (administration) from 10 points to the greater of 15 points and 1/3 of the Club’s SPL points in the preceding season.

So it would be -15 and then another -21.

ed ed: They haven't misread it. I did. :craphead:

If the worst comes to the worst and we are liquidated, we should be applying to join the SFL rather than the SPL. Quite frankly those bunch of cunts can go fuck themselves if they think they can continue punishing us in the coming seasons. Without us there is no TV deal, without that and the guaranteed income from games against us the vast majority of the other clubs will be completely fucked and will find themselves in administration before long.