Would you let Greegs take the penaltys ?

On The Spot

Thu, Apr 12, 2012

TweetBy David Melvin

ALLAN McGREGOR has revealed he was on his way to take Rangers' third penalty against St Mirren before Kyle Lafferty grabbed the spot kick chance.

The Gers keeper had seen Sone Aluko strike the post and Lee McCulloch have his effort saved and McGregor was beaten from the spot by Paul McGowan.

So keen was he for the Gers' third attempt to be successful he was ready to step up himself.

And it's not the first team he's volunteered for spot kick duty, with Walter Smith rejecting his offer during the 2008 League Cup shootout against Dundee Utd.

McGregor said: "I was ready to come up to take the third one. Sone was a wee bit unlucky with his and then the keeper made a good save for Jig's.

"At the end of the day the most important thing was the win and in the end they didn't matter, but it would have made it a lot easier for us.

"I would fancy myself if I got the chance. I remember asking the gaffer in the League Cup final in 2008 if I could take one, but he said no, he wanted me to concentrate on saving them.

"I think it's seen as disrespectful to the other team for a goalkeeper to take one but I'd be confident."

So with no penalties to take, McGregor's focus remains on keeping them out at the other end, and two important saves at crucial times ensured Rangers kept control of the weekend's game.

The keeper has been in impressive form of late, and he admits that while he has kept fewer clean sheets than he would have liked, he has been happy with his season's form.

He added: "I don't think I've kept as many as I would have liked but that's been down to some daft goals in some games.

"The most important thing is the team winning, but there is pride in clean sheets and doing your best.

"There were two well publicised errors at the start of the season but we won both those games so it didn't really matter.

"It's been an ok season for me but it's obviously disappointing that we aren't competing for the league or for cups.

"I feel I've done alright, and don't really have any complaints. I've been pretty consistent but if someone puts one in the top corner or gets a penalty it's one of those things."

McGregor was speaking to RangersTV. See more from the Rangers No.1 tonight on Blues News.

If any player is confident in taking them ,then why not

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hell no.

it's embarassing when anyone other than a striker hits a teams penalites.

i was never happy at whittaker taking them, it should have been jelavic, and it took a miss from whittaker for that to change.

the fact is, your striker is the guy who is the best finisher in the team. the qualities that he posesses to play up front is the same qualities he needs to convert a penalty.

Lafferty is the best striker we have right now, and he should be on them for the foreseeable future. He also took it very well, right in the corner.

hell no.

i was never happy at whittaker taking them, it should have been jelavic, and it took a miss from whittaker for that to change.

the fact is, your striker is the guy who is the best finisher in the team. the qualities that he posesses to play up front is the same qualities he needs to convert a penalty.

Lafferty is the best striker we have right now, and he should be on them for the foreseeable future. He also took it very well, right in the corner.

Pish, your best penalty taker should take them.

A lot of great penalty takers weren't strikers.

Exactly.

Whittaker was a fantastic penalty taker.

Miller was our best for a while...seems he lost that ability when he moved to Cardiff.

Lampard is a fantastic penalty taker, it's more about mental strength than anything else when stepping up to the spot.

A confident player is priceless when it comes to spot kicks.

Our keeper shoots - the ball thuds off the bar and rebounds into open play - said keeper has left our goal at the mercy of counter attack.

That alone is enough a why not for me.

True.

I watched a game a few years ago on C5 (league game in Argentina I'm sure) and the keepers effort was saved and they punted it long while the chubby roaster sprinted for dear life only to arrive back in time to see the striker celebrating.

In a shootout then yes, no problem but far too risky during a game.

hell no.

Messi isnt a striker......

Would you not have him take your penalties?

hell no.

One of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen on here.

Frank Lampard is one of the best penalty takers in England, did the Chelsea fans cringe with embarrassment when he tucked one into the botton corner last week?

Graham Alexander, Matt le Tissier, Zinedine Zidane, all fantastic from 12 yards, but god the embarrassment for their fans having to watch as they scored time after time eh?

Whittaker has proven to be a very good penalty taker, he'd be my first choice every time.

Messi isnt a striker......

Would you not have him take your penalties?

ofcourse hes a striker. he just drops deep, no different from rooney.

unless you think they line-up against Milan witha craig levien special: 4-6-0?

barca1-2.jpg

There's some South American keeper, fucked if I can remember his name, takes all the pens and free kicks outside the box, shit hot he is, scored loads of goals. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

aye chilavert, for paraguay.

Is McCoist a registered player?

I would let him come on to take a late penalty - the substitution alone would be a huge GIRFUY to the SPL Rangers-haters and their fellow travellers.

Even though I agree, that would be something special, I think Ally McCoist has too much respect and dignity to do such a thing.

having the best attcking player/finisher is just my opinion.

the best penalty taker i ever seen was van nistelrooy, and he is arguebly the best finisher i ever seen aswell. absoletly lethal inside the box, and his penalties... he curled the ball into the side netting 99% of the time. the only one i ever recall him missing was against Arsenal, where he missed by an inch and struck the post.

no way should a goalkeeper ever take penalties though, even if they are technically good strikers of the ball & composed in taking a penalty. its an insult to the attackers to say a GK can finish better than them - but more importantly, its a huge risk if the kepper saves it and the ball comes back out - presents them with an open net.