Would you let Greegs take the penaltys ?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

remember chris woods taking one versus valletta if i remember right at a wet ibrox when we were out of sight in the tie, and he missed

You're being very generous there mate he nearly destroyed the fucking corner flag with it!

If the keeper can hit a good penalty then let him take it,keep a few defenders on the half-way line to combat any potential breakaways.

ofcourse hes a striker. he just drops deep, no different from rooney.

unless you think they line-up against Milan witha craig levien special: 4-6-0?

barca1-2.jpg

Right winger. Striker can describe Messi but only in a more general sense as in 'Forward' or 'Attacker' but he is not a Central Forward if that is what you mean. He is also used to a second striker as he can drop into that slot if he chooses or if it was necessary. But he is most influential and his preference is the right wing.

http://www.goal.com/en/teams/spain/125/barcelona

You can check Barcas usual game plan at the link provided. Also you will find a profile for each player including Messi and recent news.

Right winger. Striker can describe Messi but only in a more general sense as in 'Forward' or 'Attacker' but he is not a Central Forward if that is what you mean. He is also used to a second striker as he can drop into that slot if he chooses or if it was necessary. But he is most influential and his preference is the right wing.

http://www.goal.com/en/teams/spain/125/barcelona

You can check Barcas usual game plan at the link provided. Also you will find a profile for each player including Messi and recent news.

in that link you provided it shows messi as center forward/striker. when you click on messi it says "position:striker"

messi isn't a winger at all, nobody would agree with you there. he is very central, i rarely see him hugging the touchline like a Ronaldo or Valencia does. Guiellem Balague talks about this all the time, Zlatan was moved on from Barca to make room for Messi in the middle. David villa feel out of flavour because he was asked to move out left to make room for Messi in the middle. to suggest he plays on the right wing is laughable.

Hans Jorg Butt for Bayern takes penalties too. They would drop a defender deep into their own box to stop any long shots, seen him miss when I was in Munich a couple of years ago and they had Van Buyten sitting really deep. The best penalty taker at the club is Whittaker, no doubt about it.

hell no.

it's embarassing when anyone other than a striker hits a teams penalites.

i was never happy at whittaker taking them, it should have been jelavic, and it took a miss from whittaker for that to change.

the fact is, your striker is the guy who is the best finisher in the team. the qualities that he posesses to play up front is the same qualities he needs to convert a penalty.

Lafferty is the best striker we have right now, and he should be on them for the foreseeable future. He also took it very well, right in the corner.

doh doh doh doh doh

in that link you provided it shows messi as center forward/striker. when you click on messi it says "position:striker"

messi isn't a winger at all, nobody would agree with you there. he is very central, i rarely see him hugging the touchline like a Ronaldo or Valencia does. Guiellem Balague talks about this all the time, Zlatan was moved on from Barca to make room for Messi in the middle. David villa feel out of flavour because he was asked to move out left to make room for Messi in the middle. to suggest he plays on the right wing is laughable.

Messi is not know as an out and out stiker (what you state should take penalties) he plays behind the stikers just now in a free role but at the start of his carear he played on the wing and kept up a "free role" either way he can be played anywhere and is very affective but at this moment in time he is suited to a center forward role as Barca dont really have anyone else to play up front with Villa being out of action.

P.s If you want laughable you need to read your original post again in fact its not laughable its just pure nonsence.

If he is your normal pen taker then fine

Otherwise it shows a complete disrespect for the opposition.

I can remember Woods taking one in Europe, a game we won by some margin he missed I think.

Anyway I thought it funny and after the game was having a laugh with the guys.

My old man says we are Rangers we are bigger than that.

It was an act of humiliation for our opponents and we never do that.

We beat teams fair and square and act like Rangers at all times.

Would Bill Struth have allowed it????

Years later I know what the old man meant.

hell no.

i was never happy at whittaker taking them, it should have been jelavic, and it took a miss from whittaker for that to change.

the fact is, your striker is the guy who is the best finisher in the team. the qualities that he posesses to play up front is the same qualities he needs to convert a penalty.

Lafferty is the best striker we have right now, and he should be on them for the foreseeable future. He also took it very well, right in the corner.

I'd tell that to Denis Irwin, Roberto Carlos, Mendieta, Whittaker etc etc.

Messi is not know as an out and out stiker (what you state should take penalties) he plays behind the stikers just now in a free role but at the start of his carear he played on the wing and kept up a "free role" either way he can be played anywhere and is very affective but at this moment in time he is suited to a center forward role as Barca dont really have anyone else to play up front with Villa being out of action.

P.s If you want laughable you need to read your original post again in fact its not laughable its just pure nonsence.

i dont think i ever said he was an out and out striker did i? i also adressed in my previous post that perhaps it was a bit much to say an out and out striker should hit penalites, but it should certainly be the best attacking player/finisher at the club - but ideally, it should be a nistelrooy type figure. It was embarassing to see Jelavic step aside for Whittaker to hit them.

i'm not sure where your going with your messi arguement, no-one in their right mind would say he was a right winger. the most common way he is described is the false 9 role, as in, a striekr on paper in in reality he drops much deeper and generally stays in line with play. Even if Vilal was in action, he was playing wide left to make room for Messi inthe middle.

he plays behind the stikers just now

who would that be then? Who exactly has Messi played 'behind' this season? Answer - nobody.

P.S you can't even spell nonsense.

i dont think i ever said he was an out and out striker did i? i also adressed in my previous post that perhaps it was a bit much to say an out and out striker should hit penalites, but it should certainly be the best attacking player/finisher at the club - but ideally, it should be a nistelrooy type figure. It was embarassing to see Jelavic sep aside for Whittaker to hit them.

im not sure where your going with your messi arguement, no-one in their right mind would say he was a right winger. the most common way he is described is the false 9 role, as in, a striekr on paper in in reality he drops much deeper and generally stays in line with play. Even if Vilal was in action, he was playing wide left to make room for Messi inthe middle.

who would that be then? Who exactly has Messi played 'behind' this season? Answer - nobody.

It's only a debate mate.

I actually agree with both of you in certain aspects in what you are saying, Messi plays more (this season) central now compared to the previous years at Barcelona. I wouldn’t describe him as a winger but perhaps an inside forward…certainly not a striker as that would indicate him being a RVN penalty box poacher which he is not. Villa played wide left and centre for Barca…it was rotated on a weekly basis and during games so sometimes Messi would move wider and Villa inside and vice versa. I suppose it’s all down to what you class as a ‘striker’ as I have said I see players like Ruud and the fat Ronaldo as strikers while Rooney and Messi as forwards.

I understand why some will describe Messi as a striker tbh, he does these days play further up the pitch and with Barcas lack of central front men he has to fit that bill.

It's only a debate mate.

I actually agree with both of you in certain aspects in what you are saying, Messi plays more (this season) central now compared to the previous years at Barcelona. I wouldn’t describe him as a winger but perhaps an inside forward…certainly not a striker as that would indicate him being a RVN penalty box poacher which he is not. Villa played wide left and centre for Barca…it was rotated on a weekly basis and during games so sometimes Messi would move wider and Villa inside and vice versa. I suppose it’s all down to what you class as a ‘striker’ as I have said I see players like Ruud and the fat Ronaldo as strikers while Rooney and Messi as forwards.

I understand why some will describe Messi as a striker tbh, he does these days play further up the pitch and with Barcas lack of central front men he has to fit that bill.

the fact messi was even metnioned is a joke. the guy above was makign the point that messi isnt a "striker" and provided a link.... which listed messi as a striker :lol:

no-one who watches Barcelona play would describe messi as a winger, unless your completely clueless. Hes been focused in the middle since about 2009. Heres an extract from Ibrahimovics book:

'It was a childhood dream and I was walking on air,' said Ibrahimovic. 'It started well but then Messi started to talk.

'He wanted to play in the middle, not on the wing, so the system changed from 4-3-3 to 4-5-1. I was sacrificed and no longer had the freedom on the pitch I need to succeed.

the same thing is happening to David Villa, hes a central Striker being asked to shift wide left. Guiellem Balague talks about it every week on Revista La Liga, how everything is done to accomadate Messi - it makes sense ofcourse, you wouldnt sacrifice Messi when he scored over 60 goals a season. you just let him do what he wants and play where he wants to play. Thats clear in the role rooney has, CF who comes deep because he wants as much time on the ball as possible.

either way, i recognise some people may se the striker position as being a player more or less confined to the box or sitting on the last defedner, so i reworded my original statement that ideally the penalty taker should be the best attacking forward at the club - this would then engulf Messi & Ronaldo in those categories.

even roberto carlos was mentioned, i mean cmon, where on the list would Carlos have been to hit a penalty in the Brazilian world cup wining sdie he played with? behind Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho at least.

as for Whittaker, it was embarassing, i remember a home game to Hibs at the start of the season. The best player & striker to have played in the SPL in years, Jelavic, has to step aside to watch a guy like Steven Whittaker thump the ball over the bar.

One of the best penalties I ever saw was taken by Sheffield Wednesday's goalkeeper Kevin Pressman. He absolutely thundered it home with his left peg, taking the paint off the post on its way in. Unstoppable. One of those shots that would still be travelling if the net hadn't stopped it. However it was during a shoot-out in the FA Cup against Wolves (SW lost to Wolves - Don Goodman tucking away the winning kick - how's that for anoraky stato-ism!). To me, the only time a 'keeper should be anywhere near the opposition's goal is in a desperate situation like when Klos came up that time, or when Jo Hart almost scored for Man City in Europe recently. A keeper taking a penalty during the match? Not for me, no matter how far ahead we are.

I'd put Whittaker back on spot-kick detail now.

hell no.

:lol: :lol:

You would think you'd get tired of talking pish after a while.

the fact messi was even metnioned is a joke. the guy above was makign the point that messi isnt a "striker" and provided a link.... which listed messi as a striker :lol:

no-one who watches Barcelona play would describe messi as a winger, unless your completely clueless. Hes been focused in the middle since about 2009. Heres an extract from Ibrahimovics book:

the same thing is happening to David Villa, hes a central Striker being asked to shift wide left. Guiellem Balague talks about it every week on Revista La Liga, how everything is done to accomadate Messi - it makes sense ofcourse, you wouldnt sacrifice Messi when he scored over 60 goals a season. you just let him do what he wants and play where he wants to play. Thats clear in the role rooney has, CF who comes deep because he wants as much time on the ball as possible.

either way, i recognise some people may se the striker position as being a player more or less confined to the box or sitting on the last defedner, so i reworded my original statement that ideally the penalty taker should be the best attacking forward at the club - this would then engulf Messi & Ronaldo in those categories.

even roberto carlos was mentioned, i mean cmon, where on the list would Carlos have been to hit a penalty in the Brazilian world cup wining sdie he played with? behind Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho at least.

as for Whittaker, it was embarassing, i remember a home game to Hibs at the start of the season. The best player & striker to have played in the SPL in years, Jelavic, has to step aside to watch a guy like Steven Whittaker thump the ball over the bar.

Jelavic maybe wasnt in the frame of mind to take it though I get what you are saying as he had the ability to hit a penalty but I guess if you have doubt in your head its best to pass it on.

I think it matters little what position you play when it comes to penalties, Lampard is a midfielder yet has been one of the best penalty takers for nearly a decade in England. Albertz also hit a mean penalty for us a few years back not to mention Barry Ferguson who had about 10 goals from the spot in the year we won our 50th title. Strikers are more prone to taking them though and I guess this is what you mean, they know where the goal is and have more experience of scoring goals than say your left back would have.

i dont think i ever said he was an out and out striker did i? i also adressed in my previous post that perhaps it was a bit much to say an out and out striker should hit penalites, but it should certainly be the best attacking player/finisher at the club - but ideally, it should be a nistelrooy type figure. It was embarassing to see Jelavic step aside for Whittaker to hit them.

i'm not sure where your going with your messi arguement, no-one in their right mind would say he was a right winger. the most common way he is described is the false 9 role, as in, a striekr on paper in in reality he drops much deeper and generally stays in line with play. Even if Vilal was in action, he was playing wide left to make room for Messi inthe middle.

If you want to go down the childish route you can't spell addressed and in an earlier post instead of saying out of favour you said out of flavour (not into tasting men myself but each to there own) and the start of a sentence should always start with a capital (not as in London) I feel this is your level, oh and you spelt embarrassing wrong now that really is embarrassing.

Grow up and stop being a bell end!

hell no.

:lol:

Jesus fuck. You have reached new depths with this post!