Lewis MacLeod will make his debut for the first team

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/football-news/article/2732250

One For The Future

Thu, Apr 12, 2012

By Andrew Dickson

IAN DURRANT says Rangers fans can expect a further glimpse of the future in the weeks ahead when he anticipates Lewis MacLeod will make his debut for the first team.

Despite still being eligible to play for the under-17s ahead of their Glasgow Cup final with Celtic on Monday, the midfielder has been drafted into the senior pool lately.

MacLeod was an unused substitute for the recent 2-1 win over Motherwell at Fir Park and has earned rave reviews whilst playing for Billy Kirkwood's under-19s this term.

He isn't the only up-and-coming prospect to train with Steven Davis et al, with fellow starlet Barrie McKay also being summoned.

Durrant has high hopes for both of them as they look to follow in the footsteps of the several youngsters who have made breakthroughs over the last couple of years.

The first-team coach was speaking along with Steven Davis in a special feature on Murray Park's rising stars being shown tonight on RangersTV.tv show Blues News.

Durrant said: "Due to injuries and suspensions, the likes of Rhys McCabe and Ross Perry have come in and done great jobs.

"Young Lewis was so close to playing (against Motherwell) but he'll be there before the end of the season.

"Rangers fans will get a glimpse of him and I think he's one of our top talents. Barrie McKay is in the squad too and the lads are getting a chance because they're due it.

"They have come in and shown the manager they can train with the first team. If you can cope with that, the next step is to train with them too.

"The two of them are not too far away and I'm looking forward to seeing Lewis playing for Rangers.

"When I see him in training and in under-19 games, I can see he is going to be a top, top talent if everything goes well for him.

"A lot of people think you've got to be 20 or 21 to get a chance but if a player is good enough, he'll get his chance. The manager knows the script there."

Anyone heard about him or seen him play in u19 games?

Seems to be getting a good write up. Let's hope it doesn't put too much pressure on him

why does it take a financial disaster for us to see these young boys.

Because it takes a financial disaster for some supporters to accept that to ensure a better future, we may occasionally have to settle for coming second. Struth knew it decades ago but some haven't quite got to grips with the concept.

I went to one of those Rangers Residential camp things when I was like 12 or 13 and there was this kid Tony/Toby who played with Rangers youth squad aswell but lived in Inverness so went to the residential camp for the week at Glasgow Uni to get more coaching withouth having to travel down from the highlands every day we asked him who was the best in his age group and had a chance of making it in the future and he said some kid named Lewis who was a year younger than him so it must be this kid because his age works out as the same.

Before the disaster we had better players than them available and a league to win ?

you honestly think that the likes of mccabe, little, perry etc couldnt have done better than the likes of mcculloch (in centre mid), whittaker (as centre half) and especially david healy up front

we played guys out of position rather than trying out these young players, and the ones we have seen so far havent looked any worse (tu)

Why do we keep producing so many CM's but lack in flair areas especially on the wing only really Gregg Wylde has made it as a winger in recent times and he wasn't the most skilfull so where are our skillfull wingers.

Think that Barrie McKay and Fraser Aird are suppose to be promising wingers

Why do we keep producing so many CM's but lack in flair areas especially on the wing only really Gregg Wylde has made it as a winger in recent times and he wasn't the most skilfull so where are our skillfull wingers.

Would say he's more of a attacking midfielder. Think he can play on both wings as well.

Good news

Another CM though, then we'll have.

Hutton

Ness

McCabe

MacLeod

Each fighting with Davis and Edu for a chance at CM

That is the first thing I thought of, although is a helluva lot looking for one place. But there again Ness with his injury and Kyle Hutton looks to be out of the picture.

Think that Barrie McKay and Fraser Aird are suppose to be promising wingers

Aird seems to get a fair few goals as well whenever I read the youth updates posted on here. Sounds promising

McKay is from barrhead, know him well, played football with him on many occasions, released from Kilmarnock last year due to an injury however but the rangers physios couldn't find said injury so decided to take a gamble.

Incredibley quick, brilliant dribbler of the ball, two feeted, great first touch and isn't shy of chipping in with a few goals.

Great prospect.