Slim Jim

govansw1

The transfer fee was around £17,000 about a fortnight after he had orchestrated a 2 - 3 victory for Raith at Ibrox and ended the career of good old Willie Telfer. Raith had been 2 - 0 down.

Never saw Baxter play badly in his first spell but he was finished and no longer slim when he came back.

An annoying bugger at times. Always wanted to tease the opposition instead of getting more goals. As soon as Rangers were two goals up it was playtime. But he was truly, truly magic.

my two proudest moments as a scot were:

watching Slim Jim in 1963 with ma old man at wembley when he demolished england with brilliant football vision and phenomenal skills and we played the game with only ten men.

he scored both of the goals but nothing sums up his character more than this:

during the game he said he was gonna score an own goal - just to say he'd got a hat-trick at Wembley. he didn't do it coz Denis Law told him he'd kill him if I did.

and humiliating england after they won the world cup.

after the game Baxter turned to Alan Ball and asked him:

Are you not ashamed to be on the same pitch as me? :lol:

now, i don't really condone arrogance, but it is forgiven when dished out to the english - who, as we all know, personify it. ;)

but what i loved about Jim the most was how he relished nothing more than taking the piss out of septic on a regular basis - he only lost 2 games in five years of old firm matches.

and what an experience it was as a Rangers supporter to see him playing them in the 1963 Scottish Cup Final replay;

there we we with three goals up and 30 minutes left, Jim was in the middle of the park, taunting and humiliating them - playing 'keepy-uppy', nutmegging, and sitting on the ball while the birth of the "Easy, Easy" chant reverberated around hampden as their end started emptying.

pure fucking magic!

and again, Jim, cheers for the hauf croons!

RIP.

my two proudest moments as a scot were:

watching Slim Jim in 1963 with ma old man at wembley when he demolished england with brilliant football vision and phenomenal skills and we played the game with only ten men.

he scored both of the goals but nothing sums up his character more than this:

during the game he said he was gonna score an own goal - just to say he'd got a hat-trick at Wembley. he didn't do it coz Denis Law told him he'd kill him if I did.

and humiliating england after they won the world cup.

after the game Baxter turned to Alan Ball and asked him:

Are you not ashamed to be on the same pitch as me? :lol:

now, i don't really condone arrogance, but it is forgiven when dished out to the english - who, as we all know, personify it. ;)

but what i loved about Jim the most was how he relished nothing more than taking the piss out of septic on a regular basis - he only lost 2 games in five years of old firm matches.

and what an experience it was as a Rangers supporter to see him playing them in the 1963 Scottish Cup Final replay;

there we we with three goals up and 30 minutes left, Jim was in the middle of the park, taunting and humiliating them - playing 'keepy-uppy', nutmegging, and sitting on the ball while the birth of the "Easy, Easy" chant reverberated around hampden as their end started emptying.

pure fucking magic!

and again, Jim, cheers for the hauf croons!

RIP.

Didnt Slim Jim continually ask Alan Ball during the game if Jimmy Clitheroe was his dad? :lol:

Didnt Slim Jim continually ask Alan Ball during the game if Jimmy Clitheroe was his dad? :lol:

considering ball's size, or rather lack of it, it would've been quite appropriate.

but i think it might have been nobby stiles he asked:

"who're you, son? jimmy clitheroe? while dribbling around him.

it should be noted that baxter's comment to Ball were most probably a reaction to an arrogant fleet street bastard who said before the game:

"the Jocks didn't deserve to be on the same pitch as Sir Alf Ramsey's world champions seeing as they weren't much better than Luxembourg".

Some of us may even have been at the 1963 game against Real Madrid at Ibrox ( we lost 1-0). It was reported that after the game the famous Ferenc Puskas went up to Slim and said "Whisky, whisky, jiggy, jiggy".(the extent of his English). Slim took him to a party in Drumchapel after the game - a council house. So, folks going to the party walked in to find not only Baxter but also Puskas..............they became great pals after that. Cannae make this stuff up.

Slim = a true Legend.

This is the last ten minutes of Baxters wembley match

Always great to watch.

Thanks for the video great watch-my dad used to talk about Slim Jim and I never saw him play, unlike dad who went all through the late 50's and 60's-what would be called an uber in modern terms :rolleyes:

The Scotland team who ran onto the Wembley pitch on 11 April 1967, included four players who would go on to win European Cup medals in Lisbon one month later, and two Rangers players who would lose to Bayern Munich in the European Cup-Winners' Cup final the same week. Added to this base were three players who walk into any all-time greatest Scotland 11; Baxter, Law and Bremner.

Nicked that from a BBC thing-note none of the Celtic players are mentioned regards the walking into a greatest team!

Some of us may even have been at the 1963 game against Real Madrid at Ibrox ( we lost 1-0).

Slim = a true Legend.

i was at the game.

this real madrid team was arguably the best club team in the history of football.

yet, i was astonished how we played against them that night - we were really all over them and played them off the park but just couldn't put the ball in the net.

Then, in a rare madrid attack near the end of the match - wham! a stunning fuckin volley from puskas from around the 18 yard box - game over.

the stadium was absolutely stunned at the injustice.

my only consolation - and it was a big one :

i regularly watched the games in 'davy wilson's corner', and i was there the day we raised the league flag.

a pic of the flag raising was the front cover for the Rangers v Real programme, and there i was - right in the front wi the tammy oan, wavin the scarf and giving it laldy.

still goat the programme.

Never seen him play but there's been a painting of the man in my room since the day I was born and he is one of my grandas and dads favourite ever players.

RIP Jim Baxter. Wish I had got to see you play in the flesh

i was at the game.

this real madrid team was arguably the best club team in the history of football.

yet, i was astonished how we played against them that night - we were really all over them and played them off the park but just couldn't put the ball in the net.

Then, in a rare madrid attack near the end of the match - wham! a stunning fuckin volley from puskas from around the 18 yard box - game over.

the stadium was absolutely stunned at the injustice.

my only consolation - and it was a big one :

i regularly watched the games in 'davy wilson's corner', and i was there the day we raised the league flag.

a pic of the flag raising was the front cover for the Rangers v Real programme, and there i was - right in the front wi the tammy oan, wavin the scarf and giving it laldy.

still goat the programme.

Let's not discuss the return game ;-))))

Watched it on TV - Di Stefano did us if I recall.

You're right - they were a hell of a team.

But as you say, we played well at home. I remember the stunned silence!!

Let's not discuss the return game ;-))))

...........ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

can't remember the return leg as clearly for some reason. ;)

the one thing i do vaguely recall is that scot symon, for some strange reason, filled the team with young dudes.

could be mistaken, though.