Slim Jim

govansw1

...........ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

can't remember the return leg as clearly for some reason. ;)

** But, I do remember going up on the bus to the game on the Saturday after, and everyone of us said it was a great game to watch and we had the decency to acknowledge their skills. Even in defeat we were a class above.

the one thing i do vaguely recall is that scot symon, for some strange reason, filled the team with young dudes.

could be mistaken, though.

** now you're testing me;-))...I'd have to look it up to be honest.

i was at the game.

this real madrid team was arguably the best club team in the history of football.

yet, i was astonished how we played against them that night - we were really all over them and played them off the park but just couldn't put the ball in the net.

Then, in a rare madrid attack near the end of the match - wham! a stunning fuckin volley from puskas from around the 18 yard box - game over.

the stadium was absolutely stunned at the injustice.

my only consolation - and it was a big one :

i regularly watched the games in 'davy wilson's corner', and i was there the day we raised the league flag.

a pic of the flag raising was the front cover for the Rangers v Real programme, and there i was - right in the front wi the tammy oan, wavin the scarf and giving it laldy.

still goat the programme.

You need to scan that programme and upload it!

Some of us may even have been at the 1963 game against Real Madrid at Ibrox ( we lost 1-0). It was reported that after the game the famous Ferenc Puskas went up to Slim and said "Whisky, whisky, jiggy, jiggy".(the extent of his English). Slim took him to a party in Drumchapel after the game - a council house. So, folks going to the party walked in to find not only Baxter but also Puskas..............they became great pals after that. Cannae make this stuff up.

Slim = a true Legend.

Haha..just imagine walking into that party and seeing Slim Jim and Puskas sitting there.. holy shi* !!!

This is the last ten minutes of Baxters wembley match

Always great to watch.

Thanks for posting, never seen this before. So much raw talent, interesting seeing football with just no pressure on the ball at all.

Slim Jim just looks cool as fuck :praise:

Shame that's about all I'll ever see of him.

RIP.

His dvd is worth a watch. Wasfortunate enough to see him play ---- truly world class hence he played twice for the World Eleven.

1963 at Wembley was one of his finest games. Scotland lost Eric Caldow early doors to a broken leg. There were no substitutes so Scotland's 10 with Davie Wilson going to left back faced a full strength England.

Then Baxter took over and ran the whole game scoring Scotland's two goals in a famous 2-1 victory. He even took time to indulge in a wee bit keepy-up.

Cannot imagine what he would be worth in today's market........... a TRUE LEGEND

my two proudest moments as a scot were:

watching Slim Jim in 1963 with ma old man at wembley when he demolished england with brilliant football vision and phenomenal skills and we played the game with only ten men.

he scored both of the goals but nothing sums up his character more than this:

during the game he said he was gonna score an own goal - just to say he'd got a hat-trick at Wembley. he didn't do it coz Denis Law told him he'd kill him if I did.

and humiliating england after they won the world cup.

after the game Baxter turned to Alan Ball and asked him:

Are you not ashamed to be on the same pitch as me? :lol:

now, i don't really condone arrogance, but it is forgiven when dished out to the english - who, as we all know, personify it. ;)

but what i loved about Jim the most was how he relished nothing more than taking the piss out of septic on a regular basis - he only lost 2 games in five years of old firm matches.

and what an experience it was as a Rangers supporter to see him playing them in the 1963 Scottish Cup Final replay;

there we we with three goals up and 30 minutes left, Jim was in the middle of the park, taunting and humiliating them - playing 'keepy-uppy', nutmegging, and sitting on the ball while the birth of the "Easy, Easy" chant reverberated around hampden as their end started emptying.

pure fucking magic!

and again, Jim, cheers for the hauf croons!

RIP.

The '63 cup final was my 1st OF match. We shouldve beat them in 1st match. My dad said when we went 3-0 up in the replay, I asked if the game was finished. I was only wee boy & my dad asked why I thought that? Apparently I pointed to the septic fans and said "cos they're all leaving". Cant remember too much about the game but I remember the tall slim guy who had the ball tied to his left foot for almost 90mins.

My favourite all time player saw him for Rangers and Scotland.

Looking at that wee video clip fuck there were some arrogant individual players in that team. But with the ability to back it up.

Nail firmly on the head ---- HE HAD THE ABILITY TO BACK IT UP....... similar in that regard to Gazza. Again could walk the walk (and play the flute) :praise: