How Do Chelsea Overcome Barcelona?

Messi was ficking anonymous tonight.

Any time he got the ball he done fuck all with it.

He'd never make in any other league, or with any other team, IMO.

I said yesterday Chelsea will get a result tonight and Messi is usually pish against English teams.

Thats his 7th game against Chelsea and he is still to score yet he scores a goal a game in La Liga.

*awaits Barca haters*

You have to be kidding? He lacked the end product he usually does and his team mates did but he was still the best barca player out there and did well considering the circumstances he was up against. Not trying to be a messi "fanboy" but his touch was brilliant as usual and took it past 3 or 4 players on numerous occasions not to mention he assisted their best chances.

You can't expect fireworks every time he plays

past 3 or 4 players or numrous occasions?! ha ha alright. he had two or 3 good runs where he went past two people at the most

Some saying Messi was the best player for Barca last night…seriously?

I thought it was Mascerano (sp?) by a country mile. Messi was anonymous throughout and yes his touch was good but as a footballer that should be a given no? No other team or player could have done better against 10 men behind the ball? Barcelona and the other big teams like United ect play against 10 men behind the ball most weeks so give over on that one.

Messi thrives on space if that is taken away and players are in his face then he is quite ineffective imo, was the same for Mata last night although you could say Messi at least had the ball at his feet more than Mata. He also gave the ball away which led to the goal for Chelsea.

As much as id like to crack the joke 'guardiola should have played messi tonight':.....

Messi and ronaldo are both getting it tight for the defeats in the cl. Mainly due to their own high standards. But i thought both did well if they were judged in the same light as everyone else.

I thought ronaldo played ok, i remember a run in the first half down the wing he skipped past 2 with a sensational nutmeg, and picked up an assist. He had very little on the ball tho considering madrid only had 45% possession.

Messi had at least double the amount of ball time. Because of how chelsea setup, he was dropping very very deep to find space. He did have 1 or 2 trademark runs but cut a fustrated figure that he couldnt get his shots off. Fabregas should have scored from a lovely messi pass that took cahill out the game.

Football needs more of this though, its great to see ronaldo and messi in proper competative matches.

Pretty poor match.

I actually enjoyed it.

Liked the contrasting styles both had, admired Chelsea’s resistance and until the goal was stumped as to how they could get a goal. The match was pretty entertaining imo as we had balls cleared off the line, Drogba rolling about like in his prime, shots hitting the bar and posts while the underdog holding on for a famous win.

I’d have enjoyed it less had it been 2-0 or so to Barca at half time..game would have petered out to nothing and this results ensures we will have an open tie at the Camp Nou with Barcelona being even more adventurous.

Not the worst semi final first leg by a long shot.

For fuck sake Compton , how fuckin stupid do you have to be ?

Messi had a quieter night last night than he usually does but he was far better than any Chelsea player was .

You outdo yourself daily on here , complete fuckin idiot .........

Messi had a quieter night last night than he usually does but he was far better than any Chelsea player was .

Better than Ramires, Cole, Terry and Cahill...not for me sorry.

was messi playing last night?

Better than Ramires, Cole, Terry and Cahill...not for me sorry.

I don't expect you to agree , you always come on here and talk pish about Barca .

Last night was a joke , Chelsea were an embarrassment , but hey if thats how you enjoy your football ...........

I don't expect you to agree , you always come on here and talk pish about Barca .

Last night was a joke , Chelsea were an embarrassment , but hey if thats how you enjoy your football ...........

Explain to me how Chelsea were an embarrassment?

Talk pish about Barca?

Where is this? I have many times lauded Barca for their dominance of football over the past few years and I am very aware that on their day they are the best footballing side around.

Chelsea last night had a tactic to beat Barcelona and it worked, Messi was kept quiet and largely was ineffective while giving the ball away for the crucial Chelsea goal. Are you trying to say Terry, Ramires and Cole were not much more effective in their role than Messi was in his own? Do you understand that football is as much about defending well as it is about attacking well and scoring?

Sorry bud but you talk complete gutter water on here and resort back to playground insults when you don’t get your own way or your team (Which clearly isn’t The Rangers) lose. Don’t try to give anyone on here a lesson in what football is about because you can’t even process the basics of the sport.

Did you watch it ??????

Can you honestly say anything good about one chance on goal and 20% possession at home in a CL semi final ?

and that was Barca playing way below their usual ..........

Yeah I watched it. So what do you propose they go all out and attack Barca and get murdered?

Surrendering possession to the opposition isn't as big a deal if you defend like Chelsea did and take your chances when they come.

Chelsea had a game plan that wasn't based on keeping the ball or creating a ton of chances, just because that tactic was different than Barca's doesn't make it an embarrassment.

Barca playing below their usual has no relevance on whether or not Chelsea were an embarrassment (tu)

Granted your opinion but that is quite possibly the most stupid comment I've read on this board for a long time.

Messi wouldn't make it in any other league deary me doh

He did have a poor game however.

Cahil was way better than I thought he would be.

Also if chelsea had tried to 'outpass' barca they would have been destroyed, RDM set out his tactics correctly and his defending in two banks of 4 was very effective

They scored a goal, and Barcelona didn't. That's the most important thing.

Last night yes. For people to take that to mean Barca or Messi would struggle in the Premiership or elsewhere is nonsense. I thought Messi played well last night and was let down by the rest of the Barca side playing too slow, much the same as Ronaldo in the first half in the Allianz. Teammates who werent up to playing at the speed required to break down 10 men behind the ball. Last night Messi had to be playing 1-2s with Messi.

Barca could have won that game 8 or 9 times out of 10, but no team is unbeatable when the circumstances are right.

As an aside how badly to Barca need someone like Llorente or even Ibra as a plan B. Since Messi went through the middle too often there are 4 defenders marking no one as he likes to play from deep. They need someone constantly in the box, especially for the last 20 minutes if they are struggling.

Did you watch it ??????

Can you honestly say anything good about one chance on goal and 20% possession at home in a CL semi final ?

and that was Barca playing way below their usual ..........

indeed, its annoying for everyone when 1 team plays with nearly every outfield player congested in midfield tapping the ball sideways and backwards.

heres to a horrible 0-0 return leg with virtually no chances, alot of fouls, diving, time wasting, surrounding the ref.

maybe then we'll get an exciting open game in the final of Chelsea vs Bayern/Madrid

People from Britain who "support" Barcelona. :anguish:

I don't understand why some folk can't just enjoy these big European nights as a neutral.

just like som people on this from Scotland supporting a English team is that not a bit shocking since they are rivals