Rangers memories for book

duncan1957

Just a wee reminder that I’m still looking for your memories of supporting Rangers, favourite player, game, trip, supporters bus experience, anything really that sums up being a Teddy Bear.

This is for the book I’m putting together, a look at Rangers history, through the eyes of the support ... Our story, by us and for us.

It's a trying time for the club, and for the support, but lets look forward, and lets plan for the future, because Rangers have a future ... and a past, lets celebrate it.

Got some good stuff in already and the book is starting to take shape, but I need a lot more. Stories don’t have to be long and involved, and could simply be little anecdotes. Ideally I’d like to have contributions in by the end of April, that way I can cracking on it.

All proceeds of the book will be going to the Scottish War Blind.

See www.its-off-to-the-match.co.uk for some more details and updates.

My first book, It’s off to the match I go, is still available, about 15 copies left of the last batch I bought. For these ones I’ll be donating £5 each to the Scottish War Blind and the Rangers Fighting Fund.

PM stories here, or send to rangers_memories@hotmail.co.uk

Just a wee reminder that I'm still looking for your memories of supporting Rangers, favourite player, game, trip, supporters bus experience, anything really that sums up being a Teddy Bear.

This is for the book I'm putting together, a look at Rangers history, through the eyes of the support ... Our story, by us and for us.

It's a trying time for the club, and for the support, but lets look forward, and lets plan for the future, because Rangers have a future ... and a past, lets celebrate it.

Got some good stuff in already and the book is starting to take shape, but I need a lot more. Stories don't have to be long and involved, and could simply be little anecdotes. Ideally I'd like to have contributions in by the end of April, that way I can cracking on it.

All proceeds of the book will be going to the Scottish War Blind.

See www.its-off-to-the-match.co.uk for some more details and updates.

My first book, It's off to the match I go, is still available, about 15 copies left of the last batch I bought. For these ones I'll be donating £5 each to the Scottish War Blind and the Rangers Fighting Fund.

PM stories here, or send to rangers_memories@hotmail.co.uk

Don't know if this is quite what your looking for, but I'll share anyway .......

During the 8-in-a-row season in 1996 it was getting towards the tail end of the season with only a handful of games left. Me and my mate Wully had been to every home and away game that season, and had even managed to get abroad and watch our glorious team with Dortmund being a highlight for me.

However, on this occasion I am about to tell we were away to Hearts at Tynecastle in a midweek match, and for the first time that season we found ourselves without a ticket. Undeterred we travelled to match anyway with our local supporters bus, the Irvine & District RSC in the hope of finding a match ticket at the ground. Upon arriving and after searching for around an hour we had been unsuccesful in our search for tickets. It was getting quite close to kick-off now with only around 20 minutes or so to kick-off and I had a brainwave! If any of the older bears remember, at the old Tynecastle behind the goal terracing there was a block of flats overlooking the stadium. I said to Wully "C'mon, lets get up there. There might be a window on one of the stair landings." So off we went.

However, we went all the way to the top and not one window was to be seen overlooking the ground, so we sulked back downwards. But there was to be a pleasant twist on the tale for us. On the the second from the top floor, a guy not much older than us (we were 18 at the time) was saying goodbye to his friend at the doorway. Before he got to say all his goodbyes and close the door I interupted. "Here mate, can you see the game from your window?" "Aye" came the reply. I looked at Wully for his agreement in what I was about to ask, he nodded his approval with a grin on his face that I had the balls to ask. "Any chance we can come in and watch it. We'll pay you of course. Tenner?" "Eh, hawd on pal. I'll just go inside and check if it's alright" He disappeared for what only seemed like 20 seconds before returning. "Aye, thats nae bother pal, but tenner each. Is that alright?" That was fine with us, it was still cheaper than a match ticket.

So in we went - to the Jambo lair with our Rangers scarves proudly wrapped round us. After entering, we realised he wasn't alone. There was around 8 of them, most of them around the same age as him, and a couple of older chaps. I have to admit though for the most part they were very hospitable and welcomed us into their house. They even pushed the couch up to the window for us, that me and Wully got to sit in as we were the "guests". One of them even made us toast and tea to watch the match with. It was a very surreal situation.

But the story doesn't have a happy ending, we lost 2-0. After Hearts scored their second with only 5 minutes to go, the Jambos in the house were in full sing-song celebrating as you'd expect. And with 2 bears in the house, all the eyes were upon us, and the songs were being directed towards us, for the most part in a jovial kind of way. But it was time to go, we'd seen enough. It remains the only time I have left a Rangers match before the 90 minutes were up. We said our thanks, and made our way back to the bus to get back to good old Ayrshire.

We did however get the last laugh. Rangers 5-1 Hearts, Scottish Cup Final 1996. Proud to be blue - Always.

Scott