2 'Whytegate' statements that could haunt D&P

Anchorman

Just as Richard Nixon made some statements that proved to be his downfall in the Watergate Affair I just can't help wonder at the wisdom of 2 comments made by D&P in the 'Whytegate' Affair. 2 very bold, and unfounded statements, that to me have tainted their handling of this whole affair and caused more confusion than anything. Namely:

(1) That Whyte was irrelevent in the whole process

(2) That the Ticketus legal ruling was a great result for them as Ticketus could me discarded if they felt it was right to do so.

Why make these statments, knowing how difficult it would be to substantiate them? To me it has been a massive own goal in their part, and they've not repeated them since that I've heard. I just don't get their wisdom, or lack of, in making such claims that they obviously couldn't deliver.

This is not another witch hunt of D&P as I know they face an immensely difficult task, but why dig pot holes in your own path.

One other statement that Nixon made which springs to mind in this is - "Any change is resisted because bureaucrats have a vested interest in the chaos in which they exist."

Just as Richard Nixon made some statements that proved to be his downfall in the Watergate Affair I just can't help wonder at the wisdom of 2 comments made by D&P in the 'Whytegate' Affair. 2 very bold, and unfounded statements, that to me have tainted their handling of this whole affair and caused more confusion than anything. Namely:

(1) That Whyte was irrelevent in the whole process

(2) That the Ticketus legal ruling was a great result for them as Ticketus could me discarded if they felt it was right to do so.

Why make these statments, knowing how difficult it would be to substantiate them? To me it has been a massive own goal in their part, and they've not repeated them since that I've heard. I just don't get their wisdom, or lack of, in making such claims that they obviously couldn't deliver.

This is not another witch hunt of D&P as I know they face an immensely difficult task, but why dig pot holes in your own path.

One other statement that Nixon made which springs to mind in this is - "Any change is resisted because bureaucrats have a vested interest in the chaos in which they exist."

Those were two statements that were fraught with danger as soon as they were uttered.

The Ticketus statement to me was puzzling, because the slant that D&P took on the court ruling was at odds to how I read it,but seeing as how legal jargon isn't my strong point,I presumed that D&P knew their onions and I accepted their explanation.

The statement that Whyte was irrelevant didn't wash with me one little bit,because as far as I was concerned (and still am) Whyte had us over a barrel.

BP9 seems to think I am totally wrong about the second statement,but we will see.

Those were two statements that were fraught with danger as soon as they were uttered.

The Ticketus statement to me was puzzling, because the slant that D&P took on the court ruling was at odds to how I read it,but seeing as how legal jargon isn't my strong point,I presumed that D&P knew their onions and I accepted their explanation.

The statement that Whyte was irrelevant didn't wash with me one little bit,because as far as I was concerned (and still am) Whyte had us over a barrel.

BP9 seems to think I am totally wrong about the second statement,but we will see.

Agreed - we disagree :lol:

the court decision was significant - Ticketus claimed they owned 3 or whatever it was worth of season tickets. The court said they didn't and that all they had was a contract, which means they can be treated as ordinary creditors. It weakened their position and I doubt they would be negotiating with anyone if the court had decided they owned the tickets.

Although there seems to have been little point to issuing the statements when they did, unless as a ploy to encourage timid potential buyers to come in and take a closer look, the only thing that is preventing both statements being true is time. If there was no time pressure, investigating the legality of the deal between Ticketus and Whyte could potentially blow them both out of the water.

Although there seems to have been little point to issuing the statements when they did, unless as a ploy to encourage timid potential buyers to come in and take a closer look, the only thing that is preventing both statements being true is time. If there was no time pressure, investigating the legality of the deal between Ticketus and Whyte could potentially blow them both out of the water.

So the statements were fine, but D&P just didn't understand the time constraints that they were working under.

That would explain a lot! :P