Rangers could struggle to finish fourth next season

Rangers administration: Rangers could struggle to finish fourth next season - Ally McCoist

McCoist thinks Rangers will have a tough time of it next season.

By ANDREW SMITH

Published on Sunday 22 April 2012 00:00

ALLY McCoist fears that the best-case scenario for Rangers next season could be scrapping it out for a place in the top six.

Even if the Ibrox club exit administration through a Company Voluntary Arrangement, they are likely to lose major playing assets. In return for 75 per cent wage cuts, all the high earners had clauses inserted into their contracts that will allow them to leave in the summer for modest fees. With none of the prospective new owners promising major investment, most players are likely to activate these clauses.

Even if Rangers are not liquidated, McCoist’s hopes of making a trophy-winning impression as manager will involve having to work with a squad with youth at its core.

Hibernian under Tony Mowbray flourished with a young side in the mid-2000s, finishing third and fourth, but McCoist fears even that may be beyond Rangers.

“You’d have to say that it’s a possibility [that Rangers will field a very young team]. We don’t know what the outcome is going to be. I’m not in control of the situation in terms of bringing players in or selling players. We don’t know the finances, if and when we get a new owner.

“It’s not always gone badly when kids have been thrown in but you’d have to say there’s absolutely no way we’d reach any level of where we have been, if that was the case. Certainly for the foreseeable future, and the next two, three, four years could be challenging. I don’t think there’s any doubt about that.

“Hibs did well with young players but they arguably had the best batch in the last 20 or 30 years in Scottish football. I’m not saying our batch are anything as good as that. So fourth might not even be remotely possible.”

If Rangers became as irrelevant to the title race as the club were in the early 1980s McCoist admits it would become the “biggest test” of a support who largely deserted the club during that fallow period.

“I really do [think the fans would continue to back Rangers]. In a perverse way, they like adversity, a challenge. I think they’ve been sensational. I don’t think there are many clubs in the world who could get 48,000 for an old boys’ game. Now it could be about getting 48,000 for a young boys’ game.

“Ever since administration, the fans have turned up to Inverness and wherever we’ve been. I just think they’ve been great.

“It would be our biggest test, there is no doubt about that. It would be an absolutely massive test but I really don’t think it would scare them. It would galvanise them, be an act of defiance.”

Think finishing 4th is a tough time, the last 2 months have been hellish :anguish: right now! I would take 4th!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We went 9 years without winning a title but still came back stronger which we will do again.

you know what Minstral i think you are in the same boat as me,we have went in times of trouble,and id bet it was far more enjoyable in our era,its ALL about money now mate,think how much money they guys made then,,could we no have an auld guys forum,and im not even into my 50's yet.............

Are we halfing our annual turnover next year? Doesn't realty sound like confidence in his players there. Words of panic or mind games? We will still have more money than every other club in the country bar one next year so I would say its fair to expect to be challenging for the title. We will still be paying more than Hearts and Dundee Utd can afford to pay players and we will still have crowds more than double every club in Scotland bar one, talk of anything other than getting our title back is not welcome. Unless it is scare tactics in which case its genius.

The word "could" says it all the word "team" means fight for the title next season, remember our history could start at third division I'd rather that than us die, heres a word "sky" no more if we get treated differently than motherwell n the c****c pacific 11 that was restarted n don't let them forget that, we the fans shouldn't be punished by this shit

you are either a Rangers supporter or not,at the end of the day,i have supported the team through EVERY era ,ffs every team has had their hardship,its now our turn,i think most of our support would rather Celtic lost before we won,and tbh that is my way of thinking,cannot stand the cunts,but thats the way it is..imo

you are either a Rangers supporter or not,at the end of the day,i have supported the team through EVERY era ,ffs every team has had their hardship,its now our turn,i think most of our support would rather Celtic lost before we won,and tbh that is my way of thinking,cannot stand the cunts,but thats the way it is..imo

Not me bud, I would take a win any day, even better when we fuck then!!!!