He's Blue, He's White....

Gazzanova

Geniunely Was one of the best young players in Britain. Even the English press knew it

Up until that day....

That bastard will get his one day, and I hope it's fuckin nasty and painful

i was milling around youtube the other day, and didnt realise the game i was watching was that one. holy fuck. i remember at the time seeing it, but jesus christ that was one horrible horrible challenge. i remember Durrant used to get a kicking every game - he really was exceptional. Everytime Wilkins was on TV, he used to rave about him.

for those of us who are to young to have seen him before his famous injury can someone explain what his style of play was like if you had to compare him to a modern day midfielder who would it be in terms of style of play and ability i.e Iniesta, Lampard, Gerrard, Xavi, Rooney,

Still have an old Rangers News poster of him up in the room behind me. Up there near the top of my favourite players list, just as Simspon is right near the top of my most hated players list. Even after his long road back from rehab, ID was a helluva special player. F*cking dynamite indeed!

for those of us who are to young to have seen him before his famous injury can someone explain what his style of play was like if you had to compare him to a modern day midfielder who would it be in terms of style of play and ability i.e Iniesta, Lampard, Gerrard, Xavi, Rooney,

Not sure who I'd compare him to -- certainly not Looney.

He was a great reader of the game, a great passer of the ball and the timing of his passes made him a rare visionary.

Add to that he could score goals and had a huge heart.

If not for the injury inflicted by that animal I personally feel he could have been one of the top five best Scottish players of all time. When you consider that list includes (some before your time), Baxter, Law, Henderson, Dalglish, Cooper, John White (who died so early)........ those are the calibre of player Scotland USED to produce.... Durrant would not have been out of place in that list.

Not easy to compare to any of those players but probably a combination of Iniesta and a wee skinny Lampard. He was a superb passer of the ball, with a great awareness of where his teammates were, but his greatest strength was his ability to time a run in or around the area and just pop up in space at exactly the right time. He had both pace and a change of pace, and had no trouble going past opposition players.

Although he rebuilt his career when nobody thought he could, the ability he showed pre-injury was something else.

Durrant and Derek Ferguson coming through together was one of the few highlights of the utterly shitey 85/86 season. A good indication of how promising they were is that throughout the darkest of the Greig and Wallace Version 2.0 years, we had always had a good midfield, with players like Russell, Prytz, Cooper, Bett and Redford (we were just shite front and back) but these two looked like taking us up to another level. In the 1-1 draw at the piggery at the start of that season they were fucking amazing. They were inconsistent (I think they were 18 and 17 at the time) but had so much talent, it was great to watch.

always remember when he mugged the scum left back (canney memba who he was) after getting the ball for the keeper just outside the box, sidefooting it past the keeper and then sliding about 30 yards back towards the enclosure.

about 20 years ago IIRC.

one of the greatest...... ever!