Marco Negri - Fictional interview

cenotaph

Marco Negri the interview the truth about glasgow rangers has anything changed?

An extract from an Italian Football magazine, with Marco Negri, about Rangers, and life with the Rangers

Marco Negri Interview

L.B. - Luigi Bruno (Interviewer)

M.N. - Marco Negri

L.B. - ' Marco, you left Rangers under very strange circumstances, why was that?'

M.N.-' Strange? There was nothing strange in anything that happened there, they simply did not want me there any longer'.

L.B.- 'Why was that?'

M.N.- ' The honest answer is that I didn't know then and I still don't know even today. Nobody ever explained why I had fallen out of favour.'

L.B.- ' Your goal record at Rangers was fantastic and when fit and available you were scoring for fun. I, and many others still do not understand why you left under a cloud'.

M.N.- 'Let's just say you are getting very close to why I think that I was frozen out. Scotland is a very claustrophobic place where everything is examined and analyzed endlessly. Scottish society is in many ways a backward place'.

L.B. - 'What do you mean by that?'

M.N. - ' The culture, the underlying culture of Rangers was not good. The first team players had a habit of drinking vast amounts of alcohol during the week. As you know here in Italy we have a different culture as professional footballers. We know that it is our duty to keep ourselves fit and healthy.

Some of the players there like Paul Gascoigne and Andy Goram would turn up smelling of drink BEFORE training!! I could not understand why such behaviour was tolerated by Walter Smith who was manager then'.

L.B.- ' Marco we are well aware of Paul Gascoigne's problems and it is sad to see his decline, we saw it earlier at Lazio. Are you saying that the players were out of control?'

M.N.- ' Absolutely, I tried to point this out to Walter Smith several times but he became very defensive and said that I needed to understand Scottish footballing culture. He would hear no criticism of Goram and especially Gascoigne who could literally do anything he wanted to and still get away with it! It wasn't just their drinking however, they had some really extreme political and religious views'.

L.B.- ' Could you elaborate on this please?'.

M.N. - ' Of course. They hated Catholics. All of them. I never understood why they were so filled with hatred. Several of us who were Catholic players and all foreigners were told upon arrival, never to bless ourselves at Ibrox as it could cause problems for us. I began to understand that Rangers was an extreme club very similar to Lazio here in Italy. You know, a right wing club with right wing supporters. I personally am not a practicing Catholic but my wife Anna Maria is, and it used to cause me pain when I heard what they said about my fellow Catholics. Lorenzo Amoruso and Jorg Albertz, just kept quiet and kept their heads down'

L.B.- ' What finally brought things to a head?'

M.N.- ' I was rapidly disillusioned by Rangers and especially their supporters. As part of my professional duties I was strongly encouraged to attend social functions which meant going to several Rangers supporters clubs. The last one I attended really brought home to me the fact that I had nothing in common with these people. The anti-Catholic feeling was venomous and the songs they sang that evening filled me with disgust. It was at that point I decided not to give my all for a club that condoned such behaviour. I went sick. Walter Smith knew the real reason for my 'illness' and he just ignored it. But I wasn't lying, I was sick, sick of Rangers and sick of what they stood for and that is the truth'

Firstly he says " they simply did not want me any more "

then goes on to say " It was at that point I decided not to give my all " " I went sick "

This lad had the potential to become a Rangers great, a legend maybe. I think our Marco has been on the funny fags myself.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That interview is a fake it was posted on some Celtic forum a few week back, even they knew it was made up the op who posted it at the time could not provide any links or proof.

Nergi never said anything of the sort, joe the mental taxi driver strikes again...

This has been debunked before, it is a hoax written by a scum fan. There are no sources for it except football forums.

My money is on cenotaph knowing this. My money is on cenotaph being a scum fan.

You would lose your money there then!

Some of that is interesting; if it is a real interview. Was Gascogine allowed carte blanche to act any old way he pleased? The proof is in the pudding on that one. And is Scotland a 'claustrophobic' place where everything is analysed?: ask people like Le Guen.

Hoax interview, it was proved so years ago.

If its a hoax then I apologise.

For those who want to label me a " bheast " etc then I will happily meet any one of you at the next home game to dispel your daft theories

You would lose your money there then!

Ok then, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Will you tell us where you found this interview? And if you've just found it on a football forum, will you hold your hands up and admit you're a Rangers fan who has just been duped and ask an admin to delete the thread? And if you won't do that, will you kindly piss off?