One for Bears in their mid 40s

Thermopylae

Just wondering what you think of Barcelona? It's just I've never really liked them and I think it may be because as a 6yo I saw our fans in battles with the police over there after the game.

Of course I now realise that these fascist thugs would have been franco loyalists so more likely from Madrid than local but 6 is a very impressionable age and perhaps these images have left their mark :BELM:

I saw your post and thought "that's one for the older guys", and then realised that I'm one of them!! doh doh :lol: :lol:

Yep just looked at some pics from that era and thought how the fuk did I get this damn old so quickly.....

Live life to its full this is not a fukking dress rehearsal........... :party: :party: :party:

I was 15 in '72. My old man wouldn't, or couldn't, take me. When he came back he vowed never to go to Spain again because of the spanish police. He got battoned before the game, during the game and after the game. He broke his knuckle punching one of them. Since then I've despised barca & when Torres broke clear last night I was on my feet willing him to score. Fuck barca, and hope madrid win league.

Best 3 days of my life, waas about 17, had willie Johnson's Number 11 top provided by John Semple and my sombrella and flute.....loved every minute till final whistle, then got baton whallopped, lost my ma's duty free fags and ran for the bus to Airport, definately different police in the ground to what we met while staying in Santa Susanna and LLoret, but, ID glady take another whack to watch the Gers play in another european final :21:

I was 19...........you must have been the young guy that I smacked a cop for hitting you 00000042.gif

Fuxsake, I'm older than Edmiston Drive. doh

I was also at that game, got bludgeoned by the Generalisimo's storm-troopers on the pitch and also the following day when we were meeting up with the bus.

I don't hate the town or the people - I just hated the fascists bastards who attackled us for fun that night. :mad:

Barcelona is a wonderful place to visit nowadays - just watch your wallet with all the eastern-European "dippers" doing the rounds. :P

I was also at that game, got bludgeoned by the Generalisimo's storm-troopers on the pitch and also the following day when we were meeting up with the bus.

I don't hate the town or the people - I just hated the fascists bastards who attackled us for fun that night. :mad:

Barcelona is a wonderful place to visit nowadays - just watch your wallet with all the eastern-European "dippers" doing the rounds. :P

I remembered seeing you on the pitch as you got attacked........and thought should I go and help! Then remembered that you didn't brush the heels of your weejuns smile.gif (always remember everything uk.gif)

I remembered seeing you on the pitch as you got atytacked........and thought should I go and help! Then remembered that you didn't brush the heels of your weejuns smile.gif (always remember everything uk.gif)

I'd probably lost my weejuns at that point. Got rather Brahms & Liszt during the day of the match on cheap Spanish plonk - had been a Skol 2000 man up until that week (hic!) :beer1:

I should say I had only just months earlier left my teenage years behind me and was (cough) a man of distinction...a real big spender.....good lookin'....so refined....hey wouldn't you like to know what was goin' on in my small mind? :party:

Well let me get right to the point.......... :sherlock:

I was also under the impression that the people of Barcelona were hailing the fans as heroes, for battling the fascist police.. maybe some of the 'heroes' can confirm that!!!

Most of us "heroes" just wanted to get the fuck out of that country after the game.

Some of us couldn't leave until the following morning (the bus to Spain loyal).

A night of the long knives indeed.

Most of us "heroes" just wanted to get the fuck out of that country after the game.

What were the locals like after the game ... were all the problems with the police?

I'd probably lost my weejuns at that point. Got rather Brahms & Liszt during the day of the match on cheap Spanish plonk - had been a Skol 2000 man up until that week (hic!) :beer1:

I should say I had only just months earlier left my teenage years behind me and was (cough) a man of distinction...a real big spender.....good lookin'....so refined....hey wouldn't you like to know what was goin' on in my small mind? :party:

Well let me get right to the point.......... :sherlock:

Used to see you hang about outside the 14 lounge , looking for the birds that no one wanted. tongue.gif

I went to lloret for a week and travelled from there to the game.

And can remember lying at the pool with my woolen college polo neck on , you know, the ones with the stripes down the side. Was sweating and all the blackheads just popping out uk.gif

i didnae go (although i was 15) my maw said no,ma da went and he got clubbed by the bastards but he said it was worth it and he would do it again.

he brought me back a barca pennant which i've still got to this day. :)

I was there in 1972 and had a great time except for a whack at the end with one of those long batons those police had. Broke my nose. The locals hated the Garda Civil as that particular police force was called as I recollect. They were considered Franco's men from Madrid and not Catalan. The locals were great to us. I was out with local students at a couple of nightclubs and didn't get back to the hotel until 5 am. We were treated like heroes. It was one of the best days of my life.

The Barca club were very sympathetic towards RFC, so much so they invited us back in 1974 for their pre-season tournament involving RFC, Barca, Bilbao and Ajax. I had a great time there as well. There was no acrimony towards us for anything that happened in 1972. The only trouble I saw in 1972 was at the ground and involving the Garda Civil hoodlums.

Crime has reached epidemic proportions there now

If the Eastern Europeans don't get you the Moroccans will and if they don't the Roma gypsies will

I wouldn't go back unless we were playing there