"The greatest performance in European football"

GOAT

Amazing how much the commentators were creaming themselves last night over Chelseas draw in Barcelona, did we not use the same tactics against them and get critisised and accused of anti-football. Funny old game eh?

I think it was the greatest defensive performance from a team in European football.

Down to being playing with 10 men for over 50 minutesd against the best team of this generation in their own back yard.

We all know if a Scottish team does this it will get overlooked by the English media...that should suprise no one.

Did someone actually say that? :lol:

I dunno, it was a very gritty performance and, from a "football as theatre" point of view, is hard to beat, but I think maybe one of those great teams from the past who played attacking football and, y'know, actually won the match might just pip Chelsea to that title.

I think it was the greatest defensive performance from a team in European football.

Down to being playing with 10 men for over 50 minutesd against the best team of this generation in their own back yard.

We all know if a Scottish team does this it will get overlooked by the English media...that should suprise no one.

But was it really? They were a missed penalty away from going out. Would it still have been the greatest defensive performance from a team in European football? The greatest defensive performances don't concede two goals and a penalty. It was an impressive display of holding on for the result (incredible freak clearance + goal notwithstanding), but not the greatest defensive performance. In fact it was a better attacking performance than a defensive one.

But was it really? They were a missed penalty away from going out. Would it still have been the greatest defensive performance from a team in European football? The greatest defensive performances don't concede two goals and a penalty. It was an impressive display of holding on for the result (incredible freak clearance + goal notwithstanding), but not the greatest defensive performance. In fact it was a better attacking performance than a defensive one.

For me yes.

I know Messi hit the post and missed a penalty but Ivanovic missed a stick on header while Drogba should have done better when he was 1 on 1 with Valdes.

Chelsea lost both their first choice centre backs within 30 odd minutes while one of them got sent off, so to hold of Barcelona for as long as they did while scoring 2 goals with 10 men against the best football team of the past decade imo is up their with the greatest team performances I have witnessed in my life.

Not everyone agrees but there are some who do.

For me yes.

I know Messi hit the post and missed a penalty but Ivanovic missed a stick on header while Drogba should have done better when he was 1 on 1 with Valdes.

Chelsea lost both their first choice centre backs within 30 odd minutes while one of them got sent off, so to hold of Barcelona for as long as they did while scoring 2 goals with 10 men against the best football team of the past decade imo is up their with the greatest team performances I have witnessed in my life.

Not everyone agrees but there are some who do.

Most of what you mentioned has nothing to do with their defending though.

On paper you've got nine men defending for their lives and getting an inpossible result through sheer togetherness and skill.

In reality you've got nine men leaking two goals, conceding a penalty, losing their heads (Terry) and scraping through by undeniable effort and, frankly, the kind of luck you could never expect nor rely upon. Was it an incredible result? Yes. Was it an incredible effort? Yes. Was it great defending? Umm... no, I don't think so.

Chelsea deserve absolute credit for the result but they went through because they took their chances in front of goal. If they had relied on their defending they could have lost at least 3-0 on the night.

What you have to remember is that these guys last night were supporting Chelsea regardless of their actual allegiances. They were a bit emotional and got carried away with their description of the game. Compare and contrast to Scotland where commentators would be too scared to praise the team in blue for fear of reprisals or too bigoted to praise.

It was far from the greatest performance in European football but I can understand why they got carried away.

Most of what you mentioned has nothing to do with their defending though.

On paper you've got nine men defending for their lives and getting an inpossible result through sheer togetherness and skill.

In reality you've got nine men leaking two goals, conceding a penalty, losing their heads (Terry) and scraping through by undeniable effort and, frankly, the kind of luck you could never expect nor rely upon. Was it an incredible result? Yes. Was it an incredible effort? Yes. Was it great defending? Umm... no, I don't think so.

Chelsea deserve absolute credit for the result but they went through because they took their chances in front of goal. If they had relied on their defending they could have lost at least 3-0 on the night.

Totally disagree with you on the defending, yes they conceded a penalty but when you consider Barcelona were in the Chelsea half for 80% of the game and could only make a few clear cut openings against them then I consider that a great defensive effort…and not only from defenders but Drogba doing a fantastic job playing as a makeshift left back in the second half.

They could have shipped 3 goals yes but they didn’t the back line and keeper defended extremely well imo.

Totally disagree with you on the defending, yes they conceded a penalty but when you consider Barcelona were in the Chelsea half for 80% of the game and could only make a few clear cut openings against them then I consider that a great defensive effort…and not only from defenders but Drogba doing a fantastic job playing as a makeshift left back in the second half.

They could have shipped 3 goals yes but they didn’t the back line and keeper defended extremely well imo.

But the greatest defensive performance ever?

Sergio Busquets scored for god's sake. A phenomenon that occurs about once a season. He was unmarked at the back post. That was awful defending there. Is that to be overlooked because, in general, the nine man Chelsea defence kept the hopelessly blunt and one-dimensional Barcelona attack at bay? A further positional lapse meant the the usual mass of Chelsea defenders were not covering the left hand side of the box when the two misfiring midgets, Messi and Iniesta combined to score the second. Chelsea ended up with just four defenders against those two, and they carved them open like a hot knife through butter. I think it was Ramires who spent the whole time watching Messi and didn't even notice Iniesta making his run.

They conceded two goals to a team playing poorly and whose top goalscorer had arguably the worst match of his life. I don't know why Chelsea can't just be praised for what they did without pretending that it was some high watermark of defending. It diminishes their achievement, if anything. Chelsea parked the bus last night. That was their defensive tactic. Thankfully for them, they didn't only park the bus. They attacked when they could. Their defensive tactic, rudimentary as it was, was barely sufficient to ensure their bold and clinical attacking play wasn't a total waste of time.

But the greatest defensive performance ever?

Sergio Busquets scored for god's sake. A phenomenon that occurs about once a season. He was unmarked at the back post. That was awful defending there. Is that to be overlooked because, in general, the nine man Chelsea defence kept the hopelessly blunt and one-dimensional Barcelona attack at bay? A further positional lapse meant the the usual mass of Chelsea defenders were not covering the left hand side of the box when the two misfiring midgets, Messi and Iniesta combined to score the second. Chelsea ended up with just four defenders against those two, and they carved them open like a hot knife through butter. I think it was Ramires who spent the whole time watching Messi and didn't even notice Iniesta making his run.

They conceded two goals to a team playing poorly and whose top goalscorer had arguably the worst match of his life. I don't know why Chelsea can't just be praised for what they did without pretending that it was some high watermark of defending. It diminishes their achievement, if anything. Chelsea parked the bus last night. That was their defensive tactic. Thankfully for them, they didn't only park the bus. They attacked when they could. Their defensive tactic, rudimentary as it was, was barely sufficient to ensure their bold and clinical attacking play wasn't a total waste of time.

I was focusing more on the circumstances that made the defensive performance all more impressive, I don’t see many teams losing both first choice centre backs and being down 1 defender after half an hour and keeping a team as good as Barcelona at home at bay.

They conceded 2 goals but they made Barcelona look poor by sticking to their tactics and closing down, chasing back and giving them no time on the ball when they came anywhere near the box.

It’s an opinion that I have and it won’t be changed, obviously you and many others have a different opinion on it and that’s totally fine but I stand by my own.

(tu)

They would have went hrough on away goals!

To get a 2-2 draw in Spain with ten men and no centre backs and a striker filling in at leftback against the team many consider the best ever with a player many consider the best ever with nothing else to play for after coming off a hellish run of games.

I'd say it's certainly up there.

Barca also hit the woodwork 4 times over 180 mins....5 times if you count the missed pen! Barca also missed a load of chances they normally put away. IMO Chelsea were extremely lucky Rather than great in defence. but good luck to chelsea because every team needs a bit of luck and i think Chelsea used up their nxt seasons full quota of luck.

Over the two legs Chelsea were lucky to reach the final. The got a result last night but a great performance it was not, and neither was it at Stamford Bridge. The words 'great performance' should be used when a team entertains the fans, plays great football, score a few goals and wins the match/tie. But good luck to Chelsea, I hope they win it.

Over the two legs Chelsea were lucky to reach the final. The got a result last night but a great performance it was not, and neither was it at Stamford Bridge. The words 'great performance' should be used when a team entertains the fans, plays great football, score a few goals and wins the match/tie. But good luck to Chelsea, I hope they win it.

You make your own luck, Chelsea scored more goals than Barcelona over 2 games of football and defended better than them also.

They got to the final on luck? Nope they got to the final by being the better team over 2 legs.

You are right Chelsea scored more goals than Barca so earned their place in the final, but on overall play, possession and opportunities they were pretty lucky to get away with that, IMO.

Brilliant result over the two legs but certainly not a great performance. That was my main point.

If Barca scored the pen.

Chelsea would have gone through on away goals you mean? No. A game is changed completely by any goal. If Barcelona went 3-1 up on the night, it is absurd to assume that Torres would still have scored later on. He might have, but he certainly wouldn't have scored from a long hoof upfield, brought about by constant last ditch attacks by a desperate Barcelona, because Barcelona wouldn't have been desperate.

Point is, Chelsea's inefficient defending put three goals on a plate for Barcelona, two of which they took, and were it not for clinical finishing and an extraordinary amount of luck, their defensive lapses would have had them knocked out, which is why I can't call it a great defensive performance.

Chelsea would have gone through on away goals you mean? No. A game is changed completely by any goal. If Barcelona went 3-1 up on the night, it is absurd to assume that Torres would still have scored later on. He might have, but he certainly wouldn't have scored from a long hoof upfield, brought about by constant last ditch attacks by a desperate Barcelona, because Barcelona wouldn't have been desperate.

Point is, Chelsea's inefficient defending put three goals on a plate for Barcelona, two of which they took, and were it not for clinical finishing and an extraordinary amount of luck, their defensive lapses would have had them knocked out, which is why I can't call it a great defensive performance.

You're preaching to the converted... was just pointing out what the other poster meant. I actually had the same conversation with a guy in my office earlier. There's no way Torres would've been standing on his own on the half way line if Chelsea were 3-1 down on the night. Barca would've been playing keep-ball.

Amazing how much the commentators were creaming themselves last night over Chelseas draw in Barcelona, did we not use the same tactics against them and get critisised and accused of anti-football. Funny old game eh?

Gary Neville did cream himself when Torres scored :lol: That has me in tears of laughter every time I hear it!

Just to recap... :pipe: