Got to be very careful

SoK

Clearly I've got to be very careful on this one....but

If someone walked up to me in the street and said "I'm going to kill you"....and

I believed that the threat was credible

I would undoubtedly go to the police

If someone told someone that someone that I knew that "he's a prick, he's going to get his comeuppance" - I would not

This --->

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

An Aberdeen man has admitted posting a threatening Twitter comment after Celtic's chief executive said the club did not need Rangers.

Ryan McDonald, 21, wrote "Lawwell needs a bullet simples!!!" about Peter Lawwell in February.

He admitted breaching the peace by sending a message of a threatening or offensive nature.

Sheriff Wendy Sheehan deferred sentence at Glasgow Sheriff Court for more information about the case

Don't know the bloke and (for the law enforcement peeps viewing) cannot condone the statement.

But FFS...when you stick 'Simples' and the end of a statement (maybe he should have done the xchee xchee thing!)

Does this bloke deserve jail or fines or whatever

Or is the law just an ass? (not saying that it is officer, just asking the question of my peers)

Exactly

A couple of cans too many - with access to t'internets..."all (substitute whatever group you hate) are bastards"

You're in the Bar-L for 6 years!

T'interwebs were supposed to be open access, not policed for political/media/spin doctor reasons

Exactly

A couple of cans too many - with access to t'internets..."all (substitute whatever group you hate) are bastards"

You're in the Bar-L for 6 years!

T'interwebs were supposed to be open access, not policed for political/media/spin doctor reasons

I know the guy that got sent down the other month for the comments he made about the ginger on facebook. That was harsh.

Why oh why oh why did he plead guilty?

What actual peace is there on the Internet to be breached?

He needs to get a new lawyer

You can't deny that you wrote them. Breach of the peach is just simply a law used to cover every aspect of anything the authority want to prosecute you for. Much the same as bringing the game into disrepute.

You can't deny that you wrote them. Breach of the peach is just simply a law used to cover every aspect of anything the authority want to prosecute you for. Much the same as bringing the game into disrepute.

I was under the impression a breach of the peace could only be committed in a public place (in England it is) so are they classing Twitter as a public place?

People are getting raped and murdered in the streets of Scotland while a crack team of specially trained police staff scour Internet forums and Facebook. Scary times indeed.

Yes Rape and murder are no match for saying a bad word on the internet.

I was under the impression a breach of the peace could only be committed in a public place (in England it is) so are they classing Twitter as a public place?

Breach of the peace means the can prosecute you for whatever they want if they don't have a certain law for whatever it is they didn't like. Like I said, Someone I know was picked up for BOTP for posting a picture of ginger with bullet holes in him and saying Neil Lennon Dead Man UVF1. That started as breach of the peace before moving to whatever new law the created.

Clearly I've got to be very careful on this one....but

If someone walked up to me in the street and said "I'm going to kill you"....and

I believed that the threat was credible

I would undoubtedly go to the police

If someone told someone that someone that I knew that "he's a prick, he's going to get his comeuppance" - I would not

This --->

An Aberdeen man has admitted posting a threatening Twitter comment after Celtic's chief executive said the club did not need Rangers.

Ryan McDonald, 21, wrote "Lawwell needs a bullet simples!!!" about Peter Lawwell in February.

He admitted breaching the peace by sending a message of a threatening or offensive nature.

Sheriff Wendy Sheehan deferred sentence at Glasgow Sheriff Court for more information about the case

Don't know the bloke and (for the law enforcement peeps viewing) cannot condone the statement.

But FFS...when you stick 'Simples' and the end of a statement (maybe he should have done the xchee xchee thing!)

Does this bloke deserve jail or fines or whatever

Or is the law just an ass? (not saying that it is officer, just asking the question of my peers)

Well after everything that has happened in the past months posting that is fucking brainless tbh.

It doesn't matter if you put "simples" at the end of it. The polis are looking to jail anyone they can get a hold of. That is making there job alot easier for them.

Breach of the peace is a law that relates to placing someone is a state of fear or distress. As far as I know, unlike most other laws, you need to prove your innocence. In other words, there is no 'innocent until proven guilty'.

I know a former training officer for Strathclyde Police - if they were ever dealing with a difficult situation (a domestic, a potential fight, etc.) they would nick the troublemaker for breach of the peace to prevent things escalating. They'd never get charged mind you, just spend the night in the cells.

But to me, it's a worrying over reaction and there needs to be a serious re-think about freedom of speech vs public order.