McCoist On The 3rd Division.

The Godfather

Ally McCoist believes it would be “morally” correct for Rangers to be forced to apply to join the Scottish Football League and play in the Third Division next season.

The manager though has warned the move would not necessarily be to the benefit overall of the Scottish game.

"It's a tough one," said McCoist. "It might be the right thing to do morally and people will have their own opinions on it, with differences far and varied.

"There's an argument the right thing to do is for Rangers to go down to the Third Division and that might be the case if it's a newco after liquidation.

"But is it the correct thing to do for Scottish football? Probably not. Everybody's got a dilemma and that's why there are so many opinions on it.

"Whether people like it or not, Rangers and Celtic are different because of the size and magnitude of the two clubs.

"Supporters of other clubs and some Old Firm supporters say you can't have rules for some clubs and not for others.

"In an ideal world, that would be 100 per cent correct. I would absolutely and totally agree with that.

"But the fact of the matter is we're asking if it would be good for the rest of the SPL if Rangers went down to the Third Division? The answer has to be no.

"I don't envy the people who have to make that decision. I can understand the hypocrisy of it but Rangers and Celtic are different."

McCoist should be careful.

i thik what he's getting at is that if we were to form a newco, it would be morally correct to start in div 3, which i wouldnt argue with. but as it sounds, it comes across like our punishment for CW illegally buying the club and plunging it into admin while tryign to make a quick buck should be punished by relegation to div 3.

Sounds to me like Super is just putting the pressure on ?

A threat of leaving which of course leaves the SPL tits up.

What McCoist is saying is true. I suspect that even if Rangers finish bottom next season (with only under 19s, is possible)then the SPL would move to suddenly increase the size of the league. I seem to remember Aberdeen and Motherwell being 'saved' in just such a way donkeys years ago. I could be wrong, but something sticks in my mind about this.

If Rangers do leave the SPL to go wherever then the SPL is finished. Probably the SFA would be in serious trouble as well. I for one would not be sad at the loss of the SPL.

I seem to remember Aberdeen and Motherwell being 'saved' in just such a way donkeys years ago. I could be wrong, but something sticks in my mind about this.

At the end of the 1999–2000 season, when the SPL was due to expand to 12 teams, Aberdeen, who finished bottom of the SPL, were due to compete in a three-way play-off against the teams that finished 2nd and 3rd in the First Division (Dunfermline and Falkirk respectively), with 2 of the 3 teams earning entry to the SPL for the next season. Falkirk's Brockville ground did not meet the SPL requirements so they applied to groundshare at Murrayfield. This was rejected by the SPL, who in 2004 accepted an identical groundsharing bid at Murrayfield from Hearts and one from Inverness, who had been ground sharing with Aberdeen for the 2004/05 season.[4] The play-off system was hence abandoned and Aberdeen and Dunfermline were allowed into the SPL for the following season.

Ally boxing clever here the scum and their SFA would shit themselves if it became a reality.

Regan and his filthy crew should be gone from the SFA.

Is he not referring to the SPL vote on rule changes? He appears to favour the proposal which would see a newco stay in the top division with points and cash deductions as opposed to the current rule.

Is he not referring to the SPL vote on rule changes? He appears to favour the proposal which would see a newco stay in the top division with points and cash deductions as opposed to the current rule.

But lets face it, the only reason for the 'new rule' is because it's Rangers and same reasoning would apply to the tims. And for this reasoning - not nessecarily that anyone is 'out to get us', they may well be but lets leave that aside for the time being.

If it was any other club, they could go to Division Three as a newco and lets be brutally honest, they wouldn't really be missed by anyone in the SPL. That is the sad fact of life in Scottish football now, there is no 'third' club and hasn't been for ages. However, if either of the Glasgow duo went down this route, and clearly we are the ones who might well have to, then it would destroy the SPL at least for one simple reason - no Glasgow derbies, no Sky TV deal or at the very least a much reduced amount. However, for the lesser clubs that can perhaps be partially offset because take out one of the bigger Glasgow sides, and suddenly the other ten can change whatever they want if they all stick together, the 11-1 votes becomes 10-1 and they win.

So if Rangers as a newco were forced to start in Division Three - and if I'm being honest here, it probably is the right thing for any newco to have to restart there - the SPL sides all lose out because there would be less TV money if not completely none, and also of course they lose two virtual full gates a season. However, if newco Rangers stay in the SPL but with huge points and financial penalties, the SPL still gets its TV deal, perhaps - because there is no guarantee Sky would be interested at that scenario anyway, especially if the transfer ban was in place - and still gets their two Rangers matches. Its win win for the tims in that scenario all round - a severely crippled Rangers suits their agenda to a tee, and lets face it if the position was reversed would we feel much different?

You can guarantee that if it was, say Motherwell in this situation, no-one would be giving a damn on any 'new rules'.

I don't think it is very clear under which circumstances Ally thinks it would be morally correct for us to be relegated to the 3rd division. Does he mean if we resurface with a newco? If he means simply because we are in administration then Ally is wrong. Other teams have been in administration and were not relegated, therefore why Rangers now? Perhaps Ally is being a bit smart here with the thought of our leaving the SPL and the effect of such a move on the other clubs. We have been the victims of alleged criminal activity and fraud. Why should we be punished further?